Apple's Replacement Policy.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Apr 10, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Hi there, I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with getting a replacement from Apple.

I have a few questions about it.

I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for a replacement, since my Unibody Macbook Pro has had multiple issues and has had the logic board replaced a couple of time. All within the same year. I do have AppleCare on it, and I'm going to request a replacement from them since going back and fourth and having nothing get fixed is not productive.

So, my questions are.

1.) Is it better to talk to them over the phone? That way I would be able to get to a higher up directly, right? Opposed to the AppleStore.

2.) Since the update is coming shortly, apparently maybe. Would apple replace/upgrade my laptop to one of the newer ones? I assume that would depend on how long they've been out, if yes. And if so, how long after release would I need to wait to receive one of those?

3.) When doing a replacement, do they replace only the laptop itself? Or would I give them everything of mine (old box, cords, etc.) and they just give me a brand new boxed one and that's it?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. wschutz macrumors 6502

As far as I know (from what I've read). There seems to be an unofficial policy of getting a replacement once you've had three major repairs, and you still have problems...

However... I don't know exactly what it's the meaning of major repair (I recently read it meant replacing too many things... almost the whole computer).

Unfortunately, I don't think you're eligible for a replacement... yet :| Even though your logic board has been replaced twice, I'm pretty sure Apple will replace it once more time (and perhaps they replace more things to make sure you don't have the problem again).
    If after that third repair, you still have problems, then yes... you could ask for a replacement, but I wouldn't put much hope right now. Though you can try :)

Besides... people dealing with this are not idiot... they have protocols and they can access to the history of your machine. So... if they say no... then it's no.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If - BIG if - they replaced it, you'd get a refurb rather than new. It's SOP.

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Apple never replaces Macs with refurbs.

To answer the OP's questions:

1) Yes, phone is better. Apple customer relations: 408 996 1010, ask for Apple CS.

2) As soon as the new ones are out they would replace with the equivalent new model. Sometimes they will even upgrade you to a nicer model and you can pay the difference between your model and a better model.

3) They replace everything. It's a brand new, sealed box. You send in your notebook and cord. You don't need to send CDs, manuals, etc.