Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
How many times do you plug/unplug your lighting-cable into a USB port?

Mine usually stays connected to the power adapter.

~More like, please redesign the lightning cable so that the wear and tear of the cable is improved :D

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
According to Moca.co, the manufacturing partner has sent samples of the Lightning cable with reversible USB connector to Apple for approval, but Apple has yet to move forward with manufacturing orders.

Or maybe that manufacturing partner lost the job for violating Apple's NDAs and one of the other millions of cable manufacturers got the order?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Who gives a sh|t! It's a cable. So now, just like health apps and health earbuds, we are going to have 1000 USB cables to choose from? I'll wait until Apple decides to change. I'm of high enough IQ that I can easily insert my USB cable into my MBP. If and when Apple adds the reversible cable with its products, I'll use it. Not going out and spending even $1 on a cable I don't need.
Neither am I. I bought a few third-party MFi cables to supplement the lower-quality cables that Apple has been supplying recently, so I don't see myself spending money on new cables from Apple anytime soon.

On the other hand, if Apple starts shipping reversible cables with its devices soon or at some time in the future, I won't get angry about it. I have a high enough IQ to know that making something more convenient (even if it wasn't particularly inconvenient before) is still improvement, and not something to rant about.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I never understood why the ****** USB standardisation organisation didn't design the plugs reversible in the first place.

I know, right? You'd think that would just be table stakes nowadays. In the history of connectors, the thing people tend to be annoyed the most by is the thing not being reversible and difficult to plug in. Either they

1. Didn't think of it.
or
2. Found it too technically challenging.

Either answer should be embarrassing. Apple botched the same thing on the 30-pin and FireWire, but at least they got that right on the new Lightning cable. It's insane that anyone would even think of producing a non-reversible cable/port in 2014.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It would be useful if they were able to combine the iPhone and iPad power adaptors into one product so that I didn't have to carry both adaptors everywhere.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
What an odd video - VERY mismatched music; it's like watching a silent movie at 1/2 speed, where the author has tried to get around the licencing issues of using "The Entertainer" by having an unconfident child play a near-enough-so-you-can-get-the-idea version of the tune, and they managed to get colour film... (and, oddly, USB) back in the 1920s. It's also a remarkable feat to have published HD back then... this is all a little anachronistic :confused::D :p

Must be the choice of a far eastern editor :D

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Moca.co is planning to offer its own versions of the cable and adapter from its MFi-licensed manufacturing partners, and is currently taking pre-orders with plans of October delivery if it can obtain a sufficient number of pre-orders to initiate production.

So, Moca.co is trying to sell its own cable? No wonder they are claiming Apple's isn't ready to ship! "Buy our cable, since you won't be able to get one from Apple." Hah!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Does anybody else think it's stupid to not have the USB symbol on both sides of the USB end of the cable? I already have a bunch of regular lightning cables. With this cable as-is, I'd have to check the inside of the connector to see if it's reversible just to be sure. In that time, I might as well just put it in, USB symbol up.

I would think they would just put nothing on both sides like the lightning end, but just having it on one side is defiantly the worst thing to do.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
I would think they would just put nothing on both sides like the lightning end, but just having it on one side is defiantly the worst thing to do.

Defiantly... :p (no offence, genuinely) :)

2013-01-11-definitely-defiantly.png

----------

I wonder how much they'll charge... ;)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
What's annoying is that USB connectors could have been reversible right from the start, had someone thought of it. But no one did. And they weren't. All these years.

And of course the micro and mini connectors aren't either.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Only 2 watts shy of being able to also replace the larger iPad/iPad air chargers. Oh well, we can't have it all.

Unless they are moving to have a single charger for all devices.

Seems to me that the reversible usb would need ports designed for it so until such a port is standard on computers its unlikely. Unless they are going to release some kind of adapter, which seems silly. At the least they would want to release computers with the correct port so why release this update of the retina mbp so recently.

----------

When will there be a Thunderbolt to Lighting cable?

Thunderbolt to Lightning?

bohemian-rhapsody.jpg

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Seems to me that the reversible usb would need ports designed for it so until such a port is standard on computers its unlikely. Unless they are going to release some kind of adapter, which seems silly.

I'm still confused how they're managing to swap the pinout of the USB cable when the orientation is changed without using a chip.

bDb2zGd.png

Last edited:

Jedi26

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
I would like to see a multi port charger actually made by Apple. So I can charge my iPad and my iPhone at the same time from the one charger. All the cheap Asian ones have horrible bright blue or green LED's the light up the room at night, apart from being dangerous because they are not made to electrical safety standards (at least in Australia), the lights keep me awake :(

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Seems to me that the reversible usb would need ports designed for it so until such a port is standard on computers its unlikely. Unless they are going to release some kind of adapter, which seems silly. At the least they would want to release computers with the correct port so why release this update of the retina mbp so recently.

The reversible USB connectors fit all current USB female receptacles. No need to design a new port. You can pick up one of the current ones already on the market for as little as $4.99 at Staples or Office Depot. They've been out for quite a while now.

----------

I'm still confused how they're managing to swap the pinout of the USB cable when the orientation is changed without using a chip.

Could the pinout be reversed on the top side? 4-3-2-1. That's assuming both sides have pinout connectors. Just guessing, not familiar with the internals. Maybe someone could go to a Staples or Office Depot, buy one and crack it open. They're pretty cheap.

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I would like to see a multi port charger actually made by Apple. So I can charge my iPad and my iPhone at the same time from the one charger. All the cheap Asian ones have horrible bright blue or green LED's the light up the room at night, apart from being dangerous because they are not made to electrical safety standards (at least in Australia), the lights keep me awake :(

There are now many dual chargers on the market with 2.1A for each port from Apple certified partners like Belkin, Kensington etc. While they cost a lot more than the Chinese ones they are worth it, and of course they have no lights or humming sounds. Btw Apple is never going to make a dual port charger they prefer you to buy 2 chargers from them instead ;)

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
All I saw in that video was the guy pulling the usb connector out by the cord!

:eek:

And people wonder why their Apple made sync cables are breaking all the time. QUIT pulling them out by the cord! Actually this goes for any cord or any kind!

----------

Does anybody else think it's stupid to not have the USB symbol on both sides of the USB end of the cable? I already have a bunch of regular lightning cables. With this cable as-is, I'd have to check the inside of the connector to see if it's reversible just to be sure. In that time, I might as well just put it in, USB symbol up.

There truly is no pleasing some people! ;)

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

And people wonder why their Apple made sync cables are breaking all the time. QUIT pulling them out by the cord! Actually this goes for any cord or any kind!
What we wonder is why Apple-made sync cables are breaking all the time and third-party MFi cables are not.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

Yup! Can't count how many times I see people unplug a household item (vacuum, etc.) by yanking on the cord 10 + feet away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.