Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
That device looks like it might be my next iPhone.... or its successor at least.... once my 8+ dies. However I really would like Apple to include support for the Pencil on more devices. It would be sweet for writing notes on my 8+ or even using it on my MBP touchpad.

Reactions: simonmet

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011

While the rumored 6.1-inch iPhone isn't expected to feature an OLED display like the iPhone X, the device will still have a more advanced LCD display than previous iPhones, according to Taiwan's Commercial Times.

full-active-lcd-800x609.jpg

Japan Display's Full Active LCD

The report, translated from Chinese, claims Apple will be adopting Japan Display's so-called "Full Active" LCD technology. Unlike traditional LCDs, like those of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Full Active LCDs only require ultra-slim 0.5mm bezels on all four sides, even smaller than those on the iPhone X.

Japan Display says its Full Active LCDs are six-inch displays with a resolution of 2,160×1,080 pixels. Accordingly, the panels have an 18:9 aspect ratio, meaning their length is double their width.

This suggests the 6.1-inch iPhone will have a taller display, likely with a cutout for the TrueDepth camera system, although not quite as tall as the iPhone X with its unique 19.5:9 aspect ratio. The device is already rumored to resemble the iPhone X's nearly full-screen design, so this would make sense.

A 6.1-inch display with a resolution of 2,160×1,080 pixels would have around 395 pixels per inch. KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo said the 6.1-inch iPhone's display will have 320-330 PPI, however, so there's conflicting information.

This rumor is consistent with a report from The Wall Street Journal in September, which said Apple was considering using Japan Display's advanced LCD panels in some 2018 iPhone models. Full Active LCDs have already been used by some Chinese smartphone makers, including Xiaomi for its Mi Mix 2.

The use of Full Active LCDs instead of OLED displays is one design compromise that will allow Apple to sell the 6.1-inch iPhone at a cheaper price point. Others include an aluminum frame instead of stainless steel, a single-lens instead of dual-lens rear camera, and no 3D Touch, according to Kuo.

In a research note obtained by MacRumors today, Kuo predicted the 6.1-inch iPhone will be a mid-range device priced between $700 and $800 in the United States, up from his previous $650 to $750 estimate.

Article Link: Apple's Rumored 6.1-Inch iPhone Said to Be 18:9 With 2,160×1,080 Resolution and Ultra-Slim Bezels
[doublepost=1516814317][/doublepost]The feature I want to see the most is WATERPROOFING. All of the other features won't do any good if the phone is damaged from even a small drop of rain, etc. One simple way that the earpiece could be made waterproof is for Apple to place a hard metal screen over it with holes that are too small for water to get through, but big enough for air to pass through, allowing it to work while preventing water damage.

Each new iPhone gets more expensive, and it is more of a burden to have them repaired due to silly problems such as water intrusions.

The Lightning port is another issue, but it is harder for water to enter that area, so the earpiece should get more attention on this issue.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
That stuff has to be somewhere, unless you are willing to trade off the functionality & benefits it brings. I feel no great love for the notch myself but it's not there because Apple found it aesthetically pleasing. It's there because that stuff needs a home on the front. Make a 6.1" 18:9 phone even taller?
Indeed, any brand can make it disappear behind a decently small panel, except Apple
[doublepost=1516815570][/doublepost]
Argh! The aspect ratios are properly expressed as 2:1 and 39:18. Reduce your fractions, and both sides of a fraction should be an integer.
Arrgh....you Joe Sixpacks
The Apple Board came down from 200k/100k

Last edited:

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
This works both ways. Why do you care? You obviously do.

Apple fans always screamed about fragmention and how it’s bad. Now Apple lineup suffers from the same thing.

Same as the os. Apple is finally catching up to the features that android offers. And they have the same problems. Bugs in a extremely complex os. Apples big advantage was its simplicity matched with total hardware control. Shows that even with having total control of the hardware, software is hard.
Why I care is obvious in what I first wrote: when I’m committed/locked in to a tech ecosystem, it’s important to me that the company offers enough options to keep me happy and in the fold. If they don’t, and I need to go outside their ecosystem for one device, it’s a pain and messes up one of the main advantages of a well run ecosystem: convenience. And once I leave for one device, what’s to stop me from leaving their ecosystem altogether, especially if another provider has a greater range of useful options?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raist3001

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Does it mean the 6.1" will be notch free? That looks awesome!

Apple is getting the message.
There’s no message to get. Apple has wanted to deliver a bezeless “sheet of glass” all-display surface for longer than you’ve been buying iPhones.

It’s simply not technologically possible, and the X is as close to their ideal as they can come. Future versions will shrink the notch in both dimensions, until the exposed sensors take up just a couple millimeters of height at the top edge.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I think you mean MicroLED.
I'm expecting this technology to be released as soon as possible, for TVs, Notebook screens, smartphones... because it is stunning its quality and lacks the disadvantages of OLED screens. A MicroLED MacBook Pro... Wow. Just wow.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'd be interested in an LCD model, but I'd rather have 16:9 instead of 18:9 aspect ratio. I love my 8+ display, just cut the chin and forehead since the home button goes away and give me a similar design, less tall but with the same aspect ratio and the same display. No need for the notch, the bezels would just be half their height.
One of the reasons why I didn't go for X was its aspect ratio, I prefer having more width for my content.

Reactions: Lyn2012 and Makayla

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
There’s no message to get. Apple has wanted to deliver a bezeless “sheet of glass” all-display surface for longer than you’ve been buying iPhones.

It’s simply not technologically possible, and the X is as close to their ideal as they can come. Future versions will shrink the notch in both dimensions, until the exposed sensors take up just a couple millimeters of height at the top edge.

It is technically possible to be notch free. Plenty of others have done it.

I'd be interested in an LCD model, but I'd rather have 16:9 instead of 18:9 aspect ratio. I love my 8+ display, just cut the chin and forehead since the home button goes away and give me a similar design, less tall but with the same aspect ratio and the same display. No need for the notch, the bezels would just be half their height.
One of the reasons why I didn't go for X was its aspect ratio, I prefer having more width for my content.

I like your idea.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It is technically possible to be notch free. Plenty of others have done it.
Sure, I agree with what you say. It’s certainly possible to be notch free—if you’ll accept a full-width bezel instead.

But as I said: a bezeless “sheet of glass” all-display surface is not technologically possible.

The closest Apple can come to their ideal is the iPhone X. Other manufacturers are satisfied with a full width bezel; Apple prefers a partial-width bezel.

The notch will shrink over time as Apple’s innovation reduces the exposed part of the sensors until they shrink into a very small portion of the topmost edge, a couple millimeters in height.

You may want Apple to go back to the larger full width bezel, but like it or not, you’re not going to get it.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
3D Touch is essential to me for moving the curser on the keyboard, especially on a Plus-sized iPhone where it’s harder to reach the text entry field. It’s quicker to use even if I could reach it — definitely one of the iPhone’s best features.

I’m not planning to upgrade from the 7 Plus in the next few years. It’s fine for me and does everything I need. An OLED screen and 512 GB option would be nice, but I’m not made of money or prepared to sell a kidney for a bit of tech.

Reactions: Suzi3956

NeonKingKong

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2008
Portland, OR
3D Touch is essential to me for moving the curser on the keyboard, especially on a Plus-sized iPhone where it’s harder to reach the text entry field. It’s quicker to use even if I could reach it — definitely one of the iPhone’s best features.

I’m not planning to upgrade from the 7 Plus in the next few years. It’s fine for me and does everything I need. An OLED screen and 512 GB option would be nice, but I’m not made of money or prepared to sell a kidney for a bit of tech.

I got the Se. not sure if it has 3D Touch. But it’s my fav phone yet! And actually really powerful and I love the screen size.

Suzi3956

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Tall and narrow again - waiting for this fad to pass!
I just upgraded from my beloved iPhone 8+ to the XR! I’m not so sure I like this new iPhone. The display seems so much “smaller” than my 8+! It’s DEFINITELY MUCH NARROWER! I had gotten very used to the width of my 8+’s display. I agree with you: “Narrow” is NOT better!” I can’t see real well close up (I’m over 60!) & I tend to NOT wear glasses! They bug the heck outta me! I was (very) able to see & read the content on my 8+...not so much with this XR! I miss that HD RETINA DISPLAY of my 8+! What’s this one called? Oh yea! HD full screen LCD display! WORDS WORDS WORDS! In REALITY W/O WORDS...NARROW IS NOT better!!’

Reactions: Bacillus

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I just upgraded from my beloved iPhone 8+ to the XR! I’m not so sure I like this new iPhone. The display seems so much “smaller” than my 8+! It’s DEFINITELY MUCH NARROWER! I had gotten very used to the width of my 8+’s display. I agree with you: “Narrow” is NOT better!” I can’t see real well close up (I’m over 60!) & I tend to NOT wear glasses! They bug the heck outta me! I was (very) able to see & read the content on my 8+...not so much with this XR! I miss that HD RETINA DISPLAY of my 8+! What’s this one called? Oh yea! HD full screen LCD display! WORDS WORDS WORDS! In REALITY W/O WORDS...NARROW IS NOT better!!’
Words/Words/Words were that it was liquid LCD. Lets hope IP86 waterproofness is 2 way - so it won’t drip out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.