Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Let’s be honest this phone is for the poorer class

Lol or for people that only feel the need to buy what they actually need. Lots of truly wealthy people dont spend their money. My wife works for a millionaire who drives a 1999 Toyota. I would argue the poors buy the top tech and go in debt to do so, only to look cool.

Reactions: arkitect

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
DSC08807.jpg

l_tt170927JDI_FA_001.jpg

There will inevitably be a couple of posters who think thin-bezel LCD and notch are not possible.

It's my Essential PH-1.... Except for the rounded bottom corners.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Is it only me who still can’t get used to 3D Touch?

I still don't quite get it. It seems to mean that I have to press harder to get certain things to happen on my phone, but I can't think of any particular advantage to that. I'm sure I must be missing something, but I don't think I would miss the pressing-harder bit.

Reactions: nortonandreev

stopthenonsense

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2015
Spring, TX
One might argue that 3D touch is not as useful as others think, which by not including it on a 6.1 iPhone, will actually help reduce the cost of the new iPhone. Therefore others might see the price point more attractive.

So much of the OS is built around 3D touch. The main thing I hated about the SE was no 3D touch. There is only one thing that I really wish that Apple would do, and that's allow me to put an icon where-ever I want it on the screen. It's crazy we are 10 years into this and still can't put an icon somewhere and have it stay there.

Reactions: Ladybug and PLondon

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
if it's tft lcd (as kuo predicts) it might have better screen response time than the more expensive iphones and could even have a 120hz+ refresh rate if apple wants to

exciting

Sounds good to me. Not digging the OLED screen on my X. Like my 6+ screen much better.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
2:1 ratio needs to die like right now! Tall screens have dead zones which you can't reach with one hand without adjusting the whole hand grip. Considering that iOS requires you to play with the bottom edge of the device can you imagine this as nothing but a two handed device? I can't

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I’m hoping Apple move from OLED to micro LCD for the X Plus. The 8 Plus screen has fewer compromises vs the OLED of the X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
One might argue the opposite. I use 3D Touch quite a lot, I find it very useful. 3D Touch = Right Click. I would be annoyed if Apple would remove it..

I never inferred Apple should remove it. I indicated it's cost prohibitive if they wanted to remove 3D Touch for consumers to find a more appealing price point for the 6.1 model.

As a matter of fact, my Post below earlier today indicated in another thread on my thoughts regarding 3D Touch and my appreciation for it.

I use 3D Touch all the time. It's really convenient to shortcut the application directly what you want to versus navigating through the whole application. It's also nice to use for peak/pop with emails, messages, photos without actually opening the entire application. Quite a few third-party applications I use have 3D Touch capabilities and once you use it more often, you really start appreciate it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...uch-cost-700-800.2102445/page-2#post-25736454

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m hoping Apple move from OLED to micro LCD for the X Plus. The 8 Plus screen has fewer compromises vs the OLED of the X.

I think you mean MicroLED.
I'm expecting this technology to be released as soon as possible, for TVs, Notebook screens, smartphones... because it is stunning its quality and lacks the disadvantages of OLED screens. A MicroLED MacBook Pro... Wow. Just wow.

PLondon

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
Apple should create something with the aspect ratio of the 8 Plus, but make the side bezels as small as possible and the top and bottom bezels slightly smaller (enough to maintain the aspect ratio). Boom — you get a larger screen, smaller bezels, Touch ID — and no Notch or Face ID required.
Give me $3 million, Apple.

Edited to add: I hate the overly tall aspect ratio of the X.
That's exactly what Google did with the Pixel 2XL and it's perfect.

Reactions: unobtainium

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Honestly most people don’t even use it
Most people? How does anyone draw such a conclusion? I personally use 3D touch very often.

I am one of those people. I don't need 3D touch at all, a long press could accomplish the same thing. I think Apple may be realizing this a bit. 3D touch makes any changes/improvements to the screen much more difficult.
I have said from day one that 3D touch was a gimmick and that everything it does can be accomplished with the long press. Ipad Pro has long presses that add functionality the same way 3D touch would. I wouldn’t mind if apple put 3D touch functionality in a long press. But I certainly would miss the functionality if completly removed.

Reactions: DNichter

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
LCD looks terribad next to OLED. If apple doesn’t stick with OLED I’ll see my way to Samsung. Kbai

Depends where your coming from. If perfect blacks float your boat, then OLED is for you. And, if you're not fussy about color, then OLED is ok and for you as well.

As a photographer who's picky about color and views photographs critically, I'd much rather have the screen on my 6+. I've yet to see an OLED screen that compares - including the screen on my iPhone X.

GTO

Suspended
Jan 23, 2018
A LOT of people will choose the LCD version just because of price alone.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Depends where your coming from. If perfect blacks float your boat, then OLED is for you. And, if you're not fussy about color, then OLED is ok and for you as well.

As a photographer who's picky about color and views photographs critically, I'd much rather have the screen on my 6+. I've yet to see an OLED screen that compares - including the screen on my iPhone X.
I guess I enjoy my vibrant colors then “true” colors? I dunno the X screen blows the 6+ out of the water side by side to me. And the galaxy s8 looks better then my X side by side. I’ve always enjoyed the AMOLED of galaxy more. True blacks are my thing, not a fan of back lit LCD screens since I’ve used the s6+ for a few weeks.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
While I'm guaranteed to update to whatever comes out this fall, I'm not really sure what more I could want from an iPhone, beyond iPhone X. Most of what I would want to see is in software, not hardware.

I'm really hoping for an overhaul of iOS this year. I have the iPhone X, and I agree. So much potential being missed.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
No 3D touch? Come on. That's a huge step backwards.

I never (intentionally) use 3D touch. (Sometimes my 7+ misinterprets a tap as a press)

A) most apps haven’t done anything useful with it. B) peek and pop to save some fraction of a second of just opening it is stupid. C) Time wasted fighting peek and pop when I actually want to just open it far exceeds the time saved anyway.

Reactions: 4487549
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.