Apple's Share of Worldwide Smartphone Ad Requests Hits 50%

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Mobile advertising firm AdMob today released its October 2009 Mobile Metrics Report, detailing the devices and platforms requesting ads from its network. While much of this month's report focuses on the breakdown of devices using Research in Motion and Android devices, one interesting tidbit revealed in the data is that Apple has finally reached a 50% share of the global smartphone ad request market.

Apple nearly reached the milestone back in May when it hit 49%, but the company's share temporarily dropped back over the next several months before beginning a sharp climb again in September. Apple's U.S. ad request share stood at 55% for the month of October, a strong increase from the 48% share held in the previous month but still well below its high of 69% measured in May.

The reasons for Apple's dip in ad request share earlier this year are not entirely clear, as all indications have pointed to continued strong growth of the iPhone and iPod touch, with the successful introduction of the iPhone 3GS in June presumably having been a driver of that performance.

Google announced earlier this month that it has agreed to acquire AdMob for $750 million in stock. The company's thriving mobile advertising business had been seen as a popular acquisition target, and it was reported soon after Google's announcement that Apple had apparently also considered making an offer for the company.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Worldwide Smartphone Ad Requests Hits 50%

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
In a nutshell, from John Gruber:

----------------

AdMob’s October 2009 Mobile Metrics Report

"Page 7 is where the interesting numbers are. The two most popular handsets are the iPhone and iPod Touch. Most interesting to me is column showing percentage share change in the list of top device manufacturers:

Apple’s is great (+6.9%).
HTC’s is good (+1.2%).
Nokia’s, Palm’s and Sony Ericsson’s are bad (-2.6%, -1.0%, and -0.8% respectively — particularly ominous for Palm, I think, in terms of traction for the Pre).
Everyone else, including RIM, is pretty much just treading water.
Also interesting on p. 7 are the pie charts comparing device market share with OS market share. The two charts are nearly identical. That might change if Android takes off."

Daring Fireball 09-11-23 2:46 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I wonder if they break down the data between app ads and mobile Safari? I bet most of them are from iPhone optimized sites. I also prefer pay apps over ads any day but don't mind them in Safari. What really ticks me off are the few apps that you pay for that still show you ads. GRRRR!!

Comment

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
With so many iPhone's/ Touches and the apps that use ads like it was made just to sell you stuff, this data seems reasonable. While I understand the purpose of ads, I dislike them very much.

Google is taking everything over.

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I've always been a Google fan, but I'm starting to get really nervous.

They could make the Microsoft of the 90s, with their wormy rise to technology dictatorship, look like child's play.

Way too much control for a single company. We need viable competitors (no, Microsoft, not you - thanks anyway).

Comment

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So many ads requested from iPhone is maybe because there is no ad blocking software for the iPhone.

I run a proxy on my desktop computers that replaces all adds with white space. No only do I not have to see them but importantly, I don't have to wait while they download.

I'd think blocking ads on a cell phone would be a very popular feature but I don't see an easy way to do this on the iPhone. Maybe it will be a distinguishing feature of the Android?

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'd think blocking ads on a cell phone would be a very popular feature but I don't see an easy way to do this on the iPhone. Maybe it will be a distinguishing feature of the Android?
Blocking ads - on a free OS that is (or ultimately will be) funded by...ads? Keep dreaming... :rolleyes:

Comment

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Um, are you aware of how Google makes money?
Wait a second...

Are you talking about the iPhone OS or some other Google product?

If you were talking about a Google product then I am sorry I misunderstood you.

If you are talking about the iPhone OS my original statement still stands...

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Um, are you aware of how Google makes money?
And you are still making crap up. Let's consider the fact that google chrome has ad block stuff out for it and google has no issue with it. Google makes a lot of money off the google searches which no add block will stop.
Gmail they allow you to us imap and pop which goes comply around the adds. I can count on one hand how many time I log in threw a web browser to check my email.
Look at that list of getting around ads I listed and the little area google makes a lot of there money. You do not know a lot of the places google makes money.

My money is on android having ad blocking software a long time before the iPhone gets any

Comment

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Admob controls much of the mobile ad space, especially for iPhone applications. But are admob's numbers indicative of the entire industry?

Comment

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
So many ads requested from iPhone is maybe because there is no ad blocking software for the iPhone.

I run a proxy on my desktop computers that replaces all adds with white space. No only do I not have to see them but importantly, I don't have to wait while they download.

Do you mean to use something like Safari Adblock plugin, or do you use some software that block ads be it in safari or firefox or any embedded browser? I would be interested in the latter. I hate to see them when I am using an embedded browser like in Papers, Devonthink, etc. Also, some ad still filter through (I hate to see those fat slob ads, and I am not even fat!):mad::rolleyes:

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Admob controls much of the mobile ad space, especially for iPhone applications. But are admob's numbers indicative of the entire industry?
Are they indicative of anything at all for that matter ? People view more ads by Admob on iPhone. That's all this article says.

But I guess now we get to endure Goona and *LTD* post this over and over again as some proof of the iPhone's superiority to all other competitors.

Comment

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Are they indicative of anything at all for that matter ? People view more ads by Admob on iPhone. That's all this article says.

But I guess now we get to endure Goona and *LTD* post this over and over again as some proof of the iPhone's superiority to all other competitors.
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But you can be sure it'll sneak in a post of repeated links or referenced as evidence in an opinion stated as fact

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
If you were talking about a Google product then I am sorry I misunderstood you.
I'm talking about Android.

And you are still making crap up.
I'm making what up exactly? That Google makes its money on advertising?

Please enlighten me, oh endlessly trollish one.

So? The rest of us have to endure you, Rodimus Prime, lex750, Aiden Shaw, and the rest of the Apple Haters Brigade that infest this forum. If you can dish it out, you can take it. Enjoy.

Comment

NSMonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2009

No, much better proof of the iPhone's superiority are the customer satisfaction ratings, overwhelmingly positive reviews, the statements of most smart phone market analysts and the iPhone's skyrocketing market share, both domestically and abroad.

So? The rest of us have to endure you, Rodimus Prime, lex750, Aiden Shaw, and the rest of the Apple Haters Brigade that infest this forum. If you can dish it out, you can take it. Enjoy.
Hahaha! My sentiments exactly.

And you are still making crap up. Let's consider the fact that google chrome has ad block stuff out for it and google has no issue with it. Google makes a lot of money off the google searches which no add block will stop.
Gmail they allow you to us imap and pop which goes comply around the adds. I can count on one hand how many time I log in threw a web browser to check my email.
Look at that list of getting around ads I listed and the little area google makes a lot of there money. You do not know a lot of the places google makes money.

My money is on android having ad blocking software a long time before the iPhone gets any
They're spelled "ads", not "adds" and they're how Google makes money. Here's a nice pie chart to help you understand.

[spoiler: 97% of Google's revenue came from ads in 2008]

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Hahaha! My sentiments exactly.
It's always entertaining when the trolls complain about pro-Apple bias here on MacRumors. (No mention of their bitter anti-Apple bias, of course.)

They're spelled "ads", not "adds" and they're how Google makes money. Here's a nice pie chart to help you understand.

[spoiler: 97% of Google's revenue came from ads in 2008]
Spelling and business are not Rodimus Prime's forte. :(

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With so many iPhone's/ Touches and the apps that use ads like it was made just to sell you stuff, this data seems reasonable. While I understand the purpose of ads, I dislike them very much.

I totally agree! My previous post regarding Ad-mob and why Apple SHOULD'VE purchased them post haste was more than just the apps having adds, but allowing the end user the choice to voice their opinion of NOT purchasing Apps for Sale that have ads in them - actually Apple should prohibit this.

And don't get me started on said big time coders leaving Apple iPhone development because their income streams no longer pay for their mortgage & their bimmer; especially since they already code for Mac's and have the choice to code for other smartphones like Palm's Web OS that NEED apps. Pure Greed man, pure Greed!

This is KEY to how the changing internet ad market & soon also the success of (infestation) of ads (ads infested apps) will be KEY to the iPhone in current and future iterations.

I'd like to highlight what Nokia's research and forsight of efforts to how ads will affect product purchases, app purchases, etc. from Last November 2008 & again in July 2009 (App Store went live back on 10 Jul 2008, with hardly ANY ads).

Nokia saw advertising on mobile in several ways:
* A way to bring their services cheaper/free to specific regions across the globe.
* Interactive rich media experience
* and to drive up device sales.

This can be done in the form of software via embedded content & apps (almost a way of creating a service reaching directly to consumers to their brand of choice). Also co-marketing on the device (which in limited fashion could work on limited devices for Apple - U2 iPod anyone?).

Here is the eye popper - their estimated forecasted in mobile advertisement spending. Also showing the advertising impact which we're just BEGINNING to see. (I really think I should've worked for Apple in marketing as a junior rep or underling lol)

Ad Awareness we're already beginning to see in Games from developers or companies that repeatedly get sales from previous owners of games of the same brand/developer.

Its only a matter of time before Brand Favorability and Purchase Intent become prevailing. Sure we do see apps from companies that target iPhone/iPod Touch users for their service or software product, but I've yet to see Coca-Cola bring their iCoke online points redeeming system with benefits to end users in an app to us. Providers are STILL slow to using AppStore - I an definately see Telus Mobility making an app that auto alerts end users to specific events, movie tickets (free), wallpapers, etc. Bell Mobility should do this since their the Official provider of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

Here is strange paradigm. Nokia states Apple is not in the ad value chain; back then it wasn't, today recent data shows otherwise, but with Google soon, if not already owning AdMob, they may not be before too long; not directly.

NOTE:
AdMob iPhone Download Exchange Goes Live
Business Wire | March 31, 2009.

Note_2: This link here shows a GoogleMaps with admob showing Country, Carrier, and Handset = Null ?!
http://www.admob.com/s/home/live

In my previous posts I stated the following:
It's a PERFECT forward thinking marriage.

&

Considering the HUGE recent uptake of mobile surfing

Considering the HUGE recent uptake of mobile surfing, smartphone growth, and increases of mobile site creations for multiple platforms in the past 2yrs - "the internet" will be Mobile before too long and increasingly coded for in tandem with standard HTML sites. I'm not refereing to WML or xhtml here either.
The potential for Admob to be not only on the standard internet, blogs, personal web pages, but ALSO imbedded in mobile applications for just about all major OS' on the market: this is where Apple could put much foot up Google's arse!!

Attachments

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-gb; HTC Hero Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

LagunaSol said:
Blocking ads - on a free OS that is (or ultimately will be) funded by...ads? Keep dreaming... :rolleyes:
I think you're mistaken.

There are no ads on my Hero, not a single one.

Android isn't an ad supported OS, its an open source OS. Huge difference.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.