MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier this month, a screenshot highlighting the iPhone's ability with iOS 4 to open attachments in external applications hinted at the possibility of a release of an iPhone version of Apple's iWork productivity suite. The screenshot was quickly replaced with one mentioning iBooks instead of Keynote, although many continued to wonder whether it was a marketing mistake or a product development revelation.

164913-iwork_iphone_applecare.jpg

A new discovery on Apple's site again points to the possibility of iWork for iPhone. The mention comes on a number of Apple's international online stores, including sites in Canada, the UK, and Australia. When ordering unlocked iPhones through Apple's online stores in these countries, customers are presented with the option of adding AppleCare to their orders. Clicking the "Learn more" link for AppleCare on the ordering page reveals additional information on the program, with a section devoted to software support specifically mentioning "Using iWork for iPhone and other Apple-branded iPhone apps" as a topic users for which users can receive assistance.

A release of iWork for iPhone would not be a tremendous surprise given that Apple has already created iPad versions of Keynote, Pages and Numbers, although the iPhone's smaller screen size would undoubtedly introduce additional challenges for content creation and editing.

Article Link: Apple's Site Again Hints at iWork for iPhone

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
You would have to be a serious masochist to want to type a paper on a 3.5 inch screen.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The readme for iOS 4 also claimed that the iPhone 3G was getting "tap-to-focus for video". Whereas it got neither tap-to-focus nor video.

"tap-to-focus for video" had a double-asterisk next to it, which, when you looked at the bottom, said that ** applied to iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3. A single asterisk applied to just 3GS and 4. So, really, the feature should have had a single asterisk, like multitasking, and they goofed.

While it would be marginally useful to have iWork on the iPhone, I don't know how well it would work on the pre-iP4 480x360 screens. (And even with the higher resolution, the small physical screen size would limit its usability on the iP4.)

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I could definitely see it being useful for small changes to existing documents while you're on the go. They better not attempt to resell it to those who already bought the iPad versions. Universal or bust!

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Then again, I, personally, never thought video editing would be practical on a 3.5" screen until I saw iMovie for iPhone.

I say Apple could surprise us with a brilliant iWork interface.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
First Thing's First

I want to see Apple perfect iPad content creation first.... then worry about the iPhone. I can only speak for myself, but you couldn't pay me to create content on the iPhone. I mean, just allow the iPhone to read iWork content. I think that would be good enough. Do we really need to edit it as well? So we are now creating content on our iMacs, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPhones? I just don't want Apple getting carried away now and wasting time and money developing for a platform that is less than ideal for such content creation.

If I have an iPad, I probably have an iPhone, and if I have both, I probably have a Mac as well.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
iWork on an iPhone? I dunno, kind of a yuck. Especially for Pages!
Besides, aren't they killing off reasons to buy an iPad besides the bigger screen? If they give the iPhone everything the iPad can do minus the bigger screen it seems kind of funny to not be able to say "Well, my iPad can do things your iPhone can't"

But in any case, the 9 inch screen on the iPad is a big plus.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
It's a good idea. Just allow the iPad versions work on the iPhone as well. Seems like a reasonable assumption.

khkremer

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I would not buy it

I would not buy an iPhone-only version, but if the iPad version would work on the phone as well, I would probably use it every now and then for some touchup or small edits.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I could definitely see it being useful for small changes to existing documents while you're on the go. They better not attempt to resell it to those who already bought the iPad versions. Universal or bust!

This.

I really can't believe Apple hasn't found a way to integrate iWork, MobileMe, iDisk, and Safari downloading yet. To me, this seems like a no-brainer as far as how items can work together.

Often I would have loved to have a copy of a text I'm working on with me in order to look at it; edit it a little bit; or just familiarize myself with the text.

As far as downloading items goes, downloading attachments or files onto iDisk that would then be waiting for you at home would just be awesome. I guess this really is not doable at all b/c it just seems like something that should be so easy.

So, hopefully Apple will being about some form of iWork for the iOS to start making some of this a reality.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
We're not likely to see this until we get iOS 4.0.1 that brings with it iTunes File Transfer that disappeared from the iOS 4 betas, otherwise it'll be pretty useless.

That said, this is a very good thing. Most of you seem to be anti the idea of word processing on an iPhone; I myself have written a 1,000 word script on the Notes app and would rather something a bit better suited to the task (no, not another device). It'll also be nice to be able to edit Office documents.

Hopefully this is true!

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
It's certainly not optimal, but I've actually written a short (3 page) report for a class on my iPhone. It wasn't because I wanted to. It was because I needed to get the work done and I didn't have a computer available at the time. I use the built-in Notes app, and did all my formatting later. (Not that there was much formatting.)

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
It's a good idea. Just allow the iPad versions work on the iPhone as well. Seems like a reasonable assumption.

Which leads to the next point... am I going to be compelled to buy 3 pieces of the same software? I love the application "Things," but I've had to buy it 3 times for each platform. Apple has to figure out a way to buy a single version that supports *all* the platforms. If the rumors are true about renaming Mac OS iOS and just have three different flavors, I guess it would be easy to write one app and have it work across the iOS spectrum.

R3tard

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
iPad Controls / Cloud

I would like to see a version for iPhone:

1. I could use my iPhone to control Keynote presentations while teaching instead of walking back to my iPad and swiping the screen.

2. There was a "cloud" solution for wireless syncing of documents.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I would rather them focus on iWork for Mac personally, and get a file system working on the iPad version. I have very little desire to do this on the iPhone since the iPad versions are already limited.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It better be a Universal App because I'm not paying for it again. Especially when it's a damn hassle to get the files where I need them on the iPad. Right now I'm using an email/dropbox/documents to go system. PITA. Apple IS NOT going to make me pay for Mobile Me. That's for damn sure.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
IMHO the iPhone's strength is content consumption, not content creation.

This is a real stretch, but if I could email myself a keynote document, open it in Keynote so that I could take advantage of all the transitions and such, and attach a pico projector to my iPhone, then I could see some use for an iWork for iPhone, but even here the use for iWork is not about creation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.