Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Per MacMinute, Apple announed that Soundtrack will be offered as a standalone product in August.

Soundtrack was originally introduced as an additional feature accompanying Final Cut Pro 4.

Soundtrack includes more than 4,000 royalty-free, professionally-recorded audio loops and sound effects, giving creative professionals such as video editors, DVD authors and web developers a powerful and easy-to-use tool to create high-quality music scores. Soundtrack scales to meet the needs of audio producers, DJs and remix artists who start their projects in Soundtrack and then migrate to a digital audio workstation, such as Logic or Pro Tools, for the rest of their work.

yumpin yiminy

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
just saw somewhere that the new adobe production bundle contains what used to be CoolEditPro, a sound/track editor.
I hadn't put two and two together as to apple's offering, but, the two A's are going after the same market...

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
New promotion (I think) at the Apple store:
Trade Adobe Premiere in for Final Cut Express for free
Pay 500$ less if you upgrade from premiere to final cut pro
Final Cut Express for 99$ if you buy a new mac.

A big "**** you" from Apple to Adobe :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Originally posted by yumpin yiminy
just saw somewhere that the new adobe production bundle contains what used to be CoolEditPro, a sound/track editor.
I hadn't put two and two together as to apple's offering, but, the two A's are going after the same market...

No. Think of Audition nee Cool Edit Pro as a mini Logic. Think of Soundtrack as Acid Lite. The creator of Acid works for Apple ..so his influences are in the program.

This is good. This means Soundtrack will be updated on it's own and not on a typical Final Cut Pro cycle.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
A few queries to any FCP4 user:

Can Soundtrack also generate audio just as Sound Studio can? (i.e. add tone, add frequencies)

Can Soundtrack also change the pitch of an audio clip but keep the duration the same?

If so, then I think I'll be picking this app up.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
I think it looks really cool. I might actually get it. I haven't, of course, tried it out with final cut pro 4, but it looks like it is well worth the money (or possibly the download, oh wait, I didn't say that :eek: ). I have been looking for some good mixing software for a long time and traktor dj doesn't seem to do the job :rolleyes:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
This is a good move for Apple, building on the expertise they bought with Emagic and running it in the domestic domain.

I looked at this in FCP4 and it was cool, this will be a winner for Apple.

Logic is a high end app with a steep learning curve, this is iMovie for the music-loving crowd.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Mixed feelings

While I think it's great that the Mac finally has a tool that can compare to Acid, it seems like this might be a bad thing, unbundling it.

Does Soundtrack have good integration with FCP4? That would be awesome to be able to grab loops and drop them directly on your timeline and not have to load a separate program and export the audio back to your FCP4 project. Maybe someone that knows the project better can tell us.

Also, it seems another reason for the unbundling is just to charge us more money.... Damn you Apple! :D Why must you make such a great inexpensive software package like FCP4 and then charge us extra for the floor mats? :D

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Wow! It seems to include a lot of plugins that are typically only available with much more expensive software...I'm thinking specifically of the PlatinumVerb plugin from Emagic. This is a very nice native reverb which ships only with Logic Platinum, their top end sequencer which retails for a lot more than $299.

So, in essence, I suppose if you worked with SoundTrack for loops etc., you could also make use of these plugs inside of Logic. For me, this would be excellent since I use Logic Audio (low-end Emagic sequencer) and I am stuck with SilverVerb, the low end reverb. Hmmm...

Mike

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This is a good move for Apple, building on the expertise they bought with Emagic and running it in the domestic domain.

Soundtrack is not an Emagic product. It's the product of Apples Audio Engineers. Guys like Chris Moulios(Acid inventor) Chris Rogers, and others.

Can Soundtrack also generate audio just as Sound Studio can? (i.e. add tone, add frequencies)

Can Soundtrack also change the pitch of an audio clip but keep the duration the same?

I know you can adjust the length without changing the pitch. Not sure about the first one though.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by King Cobra
A few queries to any FCP4 user:

If so, then I think I'll be picking this app up.

I don't think that you can import audio files if that is what you mean. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any "import audio file" or anything similar to that.

I don't think that you can add notes either.

However you can change speed without adjusting pitch and pitch without changing speed.

You might be looking for something like the amazing slow downer. That program does not allow you to make your own music though, just change speed and pitch and stuff.

So basically, I don't know what you really want. Are you trying to compose or listen to things slower so you can play them?

P-Worm

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Tech Specs for Soundtrack

It seems as all major new software from Apple requires at least a 500 Mhz G4.

http://www.apple.com/soundtrack/specs.html

So what does this mean for the iBook, the last G3? They need to make their product portfolio compatible with those specs, other people will get pretty frustrated not to be able to use those titles although they come from Apple itself and they bought a CPU from them, which doesn´t cut it.

We´re not talking about hacks like for iChatAV, which makes it run on G3 as far down as 500Mhz (choppy though). This is nothing a normal user can either think of nor will he actually do it without expert knowloedge he mostly doesn´t have and doesn´t need to have. It should work out of the box: new software together with the actual hardware.

I guess the Mohave IBM G3 with Altivec/ Velocity engine (IBMs G4) in the range of 1 to 1q.5 Ghz is very close around the corner to go into the iBook and the new Powerbooks, too, I speculate.

Any ideas?

G.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Mixed feelings

Originally posted by illumin8
Why must you make such a great inexpensive software package like FCP4 and then charge us extra for the floor mats?
As far as I can tell, it still comes with FCP 4. You only have to buy it if you're using something else. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fredo Viola

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
doy, doy!

Originally posted by nuckinfutz
No. Think of Audition nee Cool Edit Pro as a mini Logic. Think of Soundtrack as Acid Lite. The creator of Acid works for Apple ..so his influences are in the program.

This is good. This means Soundtrack will be updated on it's own and not on a typical Final Cut Pro cycle.

Think of this as little Logic, dude. Apple owns Emagic, who make Logic. I'm a Logic user and recognize the effect they have pictured as one directly from Logic. Perhaps certian features have been rebuilt, and if they have been effected by the Acid dude, that's cool. But I sincerely hope that it's based on Logic. Logic is amazing software. Looking at the included plugins, it looks like it is. And OF COURSE YOU CAN INPUT AUDIO!!!!

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA

Also, it seems another reason for the unbundling is just to charge us more money.... Damn you Apple! :D Why must you make such a great inexpensive software package like FCP4 and then charge us extra for the floor mats? :D

I believe that SoundTrack will still be included as a feature of FCP4. The story says that Apple will *also* sell SoundTrack as a stand-alone product (for people who don't need FCP).

Jeff Harrell

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003

Does Soundtrack have good integration with FCP4?
Not especially. Drag-and-drop isn't really an option because Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack, like all the Pro apps, are designed to present a full-screen user interface. So it's literally not possible to switch between FCP and Soundtrack in such a way that the windows overlap... at least not without a lot of work.

The interaction between FCP and Soundtrack, and LiveType, is strictly an import-export thing. It works very well, but it's not *tight* integration.

Uh? Final Cut Pro still comes with Soundtrack. And LiveType, and Cinema Tools, and Compressor. For $999.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.