Apple's Special Version of iTunes That Still Has an App Store Currently Incompatible With macOS Mojave

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico

whyamihere

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
I update to the newest iOS, watchOS, and tvOS the day they become available. But I've been burned enough times to know better than updating macOS so soon. Point in case. Screwing up Safari extensions and now dropping support for this version of iTunes. Dark mode, lol. Hard to call Mojave an upgrade with so many steps backwards.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Even the server app is not compatible with Mojave.
MacOs Server says it is compatible with Mojave:

https://www.apple.com/macos/server/specs/

Can you elaborate?
[doublepost=1537983104][/doublepost]
I was just going to install it too, bit upgraded to Mojavr already. Downloading all the apps with every restore/new phone really sucks when you have slow internet speeds
Slow internet speeds always suck
[doublepost=1537983545][/doublepost]
it's not only that the 12.6.3.5 version dose not work with Mojave you won't get it to connect to a new phone Xs ether as even the current version requires a further system download in order to connect to any iPhone Xs or Xs Max. it leave me thinking that Apple is lost the trust of small businesses like mine.
[doublepost=1537972635][/doublepost]
it's not only that the 12.6.3.5 version dose not work with Mojave you won't get it to connect to a new phone Xs ether as even the current version requires a further system download in order to connect to any iPhone Xs or Xs Max. it leave me thinking that Apple is lost the trust of small businesses like mine.
I'm on Mojave, iTunes is 12.9, comes with Mojave download. There is an older one 12.8 on the website, but no 12.6..... Perhaps problem is that the software you are trying to run is out of date? If you are referring to MacOs server, there is a version that runs on Mojave.

It sounds like you should not update right out of the box, but wait until you see what issues arise. Especially if you are running out of date software.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Shows how little Apple cares about MacOS Server now. It's appalling.
https://www.apple.com/macos/server/specs/,
says it is compatible, not checking first is appalling. If however, you actually have an issue with the compatible version, then not saying so is appalling.
[doublepost=1537983839][/doublepost]
This is the special edition of iTunes that still has the App Store built-in.
no. You are wrong. No App Store, no special version. As far as I can tell, this is the version that downloads with Mojave. (I am on Public Beta, so I can't verify Public release) The older version is 12.8. Seems like 12.6 is out of date

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Good thing I haven't updated to Mojave yet. Hopefully Apple patches iTunes to make it compatible.
What does this even mean? iTunes works fine, version 12.9..... downloads with Mojave. I have no idea what all this 12.6 jibber jabber is, seems like out of date version. Maybe someone could just state clearly?

B4U

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
What does this even mean? iTunes works fine, version 12.9..... downloads with Mojave. I have no idea what all this 12.6 jibber jabber is, seems like out of date version. Maybe someone could just state clearly?
Please read the article one more time.
It clearly says this iTunes version was special released after 12.7 came out with AppStore still available.

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Internet speed has nothing to do with it. How is it easier to download the same app 5x (1x for each device) rather than downloading it a single time on your computer and syncing your devices? The answer: it's not.
I liked being able to manage (and back up and restore older versions of, if necessary) apps on my iPhone. I think it was an awkward fit for iTunes to have to have that function, though, and wish they'd just spun device management out into a separate app for those who use it, instead of doing away with it altogether.

Anyway, to your point, as far as app downloading, there's an option in iCloud to just have any iOS app you download get automatically put on all your devices at the same time. I had it switched on by accident, and any time I put a new app on my Apple TV, I'd find a version of it had automatically appeared on my iPhone.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

SBlue1

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
How about apple make a special version of iTunes which only contains music?
Nothing else, note even the connect thingy or other “social media” features, just music.

One can dream
I was thinking the same for a few years. I use the miniplayer from the menu now, after trying a few other music players and none had all the options iTunes had. So when I need it all I switch to the full view but use 90% of the time the mini player view. Only thing I really miss is Genius. This was the best feature and they just killed it without replacement.

delhifox

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
TheSix
THIS. I don't care how fast my connection is, why should I have to manually download the app onto every single device in my house? Downloading it once on my MBP and then syncing all necessary devices is so much easier.

Internet speed has nothing to do with it. How is it easier to download the same app 5x (1x for each device) rather than downloading it a single time on your computer and syncing your devices? The answer: it's not.

Looks like I'll hold off on installing Mojave for a few weeks in hopes they do release an updated version of iTunes that retains the app store.
Not trying to defend their stupid move here.. but just a suggestion(more like a workaround).. you can enable content caching feature of the new MacOS and have all iOS or iCloud data cached. this way it they will download from your lan than internet.
[doublepost=1537988326][/doublepost]
MacOs Server says it is compatible with Mojave:

https://www.apple.com/macos/server/specs/

Can you elaborate?
[doublepost=1537983104][/doublepost]

Slow internet speeds always suck
[doublepost=1537983545][/doublepost]

Wont allow me to re-download the software from the App Store with the error "Server can't be install, because the server ion of macOS is too new"
[doublepost=1537989675][/doublepost]
That is expected and confirmed by Apple itself.

Same as there is no Single User Mode!
Where do you read this?

https://www.apple.com/macos/server/specs/ <- says it need Mojave.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
Why can't just Apple release a single app on Mac that does all the interaction with iOS devices (local backups, app management) and an entertainment-only iTunes?

Yes, Apple could see that iTunes was heading to the 'bloatware' direction and thus deciding abandoning the iOS app management function on iTunes, which was somehow a great move. BUT when you terminate a function or a service, please at least give your customers an alternate solution.

For mere mortals, it might be OK just to use the iOS devices to manage the iOS apps. But for pro users or for those who want to load the apps that aren't available on the iOS App Store from Mac to iOS devices, what can they do now? Either use this 'special version of iTunes' or rely on third-party apps. Now that this special version of iTunes is not working with the latest version of macOS, then third-party apps are the only way to go. Third-party apps like iMazing are doing a great job here, but I think all these should be done by Apple, and it's on their part.

In addition, I think there should be an option for users to choose the direction where the content (apps / media / data, etc.) will be moved, and the notion of 'move / copy' should be adopted instead of syncing which was introduced with the original iPod in 2001, 17 years from now. I hardly use iTunes with iPhone / iPad for the simple reason that I'm afraid I might lose all the things on my iPhone because of wrong syncing settings (e.g. syncing to a category on iTunes that's empty on Mac)

Last edited:
Reactions: spacerays

delhifox

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
TheSix
That is expected and confirmed by Apple itself.

Same as there
Why can't just Apple release a single app on Mac that does all the interaction with iOS devices (local backups, app management) and an entertainment-only iTunes?

Yes, Apple could see that iTunes was heading to the 'bloatware' direction and thus deciding abandoning the iOS app management function on iTunes, which was somehow a great move. BUT when you terminate a function or a service, please at least give your customers an alternate solution.

For mere mortals, it might be OK just to use the iOS devices to manage the iOS apps. But for pro users or for those who want to load the apps that aren't available on the iOS App Store from Mac to iOS devices, what can they do now? Either use this 'special version of iTunes' or rely on third-party apps. Now that this special version of iTunes is not working with the latest version of macOS, then third-party apps are the only way to go. Third-party apps like iMazing are doing a great job here, but I think all these should be done by Apple, and it's on their part.

In addition, I think there should be an option for users to choose the direction where the content will be moved. I hardly use iTunes with iPhone / iPad for the simple reason that I'm afraid I might lose all the things on my iPhone because of wrong syncing settings (e.g. syncing to a category on iTunes that's empty on Mac)
MDMs can deploy pro/enterprise app over the air.

Reactions: martyjmclean

manu chao

macrumors 603
Jul 30, 2003
Just followed the link to the download page, and it looks like iTunes 12.6 for Mac is dead. Apple updated the page to remove the Mac download, and it now only has the Windows version...
Boy, I followed that link earlier today and did manage to still download iTunes 12.6.5. Now it's gone. Apple must have read this article and pulled 12.6.5.
[doublepost=1537991918][/doublepost]
T
As long as the downloading happens automatically in the background while the devices are charging, it makes no difference at all. I still use the special iTunes version because:
  1. I can browse the App Store and buy iOS apps while sitting on my computer. I find that still better than even on an 12.9" iPad. You can have browser windows open side-by-side with iTunes that review and recommend apps if have a large enough screen. And it definitely beats using the App Store on an iPhone because your screen is just so much larger on a Mac.
  2. I can easily see and search all apps I bought with different accounts and display and search apps by a range of metadata in a way that isn't possible on iOS devices (here is a list of said metadata).

Last edited:
Reactions: ShinyDren

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Boy, I followed that link earlier today and did managed to still download iTunes 12.6.5. Now it's gone. Apple must have read this article and pulled 12.6.5.
Oh wow, good thing I grabbed it and upgraded when I did. Maybe this means Apple is aware and working on a fix for Mojave compatibility.

Reactions: Morgenland

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Of course I checked first. This is the latest version available to the public, 5.6.3.
View attachment 789184
Clicking the "Open App Store" button just goes to the same listing for 5.6.3.
Even if macOS Server can install on Mojave (and if it isn't, I am sure the compatible version will be released soon), Apple published an article stating that many of the services is being removed.

And I suspect it will be discontinued altogether next year. At this point, Apple might as well make the Server free or combine it with Apple Remote Desktop (web page looks like it's from Steve Jobs' era).

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
Anyway, to your point, as far as app downloading, there's an option in iCloud to just have any iOS app you download get automatically put on all your devices at the same time. I had it switched on by accident, and any time I put a new app on my Apple TV, I'd find a version of it had automatically appeared on my iPhone.
That only happens when you download a new app, not when you update an existing app. For updates you either have to turn on 'automatic updates' or update manually on every device.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm not sure how anyone could complain about the way iTunes is laid out now.
Easy it is still way to bloated. something like a dedicated app as you have on iOS would be nice.

This could also be a stepping stone to breath live into other apps and make them more useful. Take quick time, that could easily handle tv shows/movies, audiobooks in iBooks and make a standalone podcast portal. This will also make it better for the crossplatform experience as you could have iCloud sync to pick up where you left off on another device