Apple's Special Version of iTunes That Still Has an App Store Currently Incompatible With macOS Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2018.

1. sharpimage macrumors member

sharpimage

there were other advantages of remaining on iTunes 12.6 which is that you could always 'downgrade' an app if you didn't like an updated version. Did this many times. But being so far behind the current iTunes release was also causing issues such as when I had my phone replaced 12.6 would not let me restore from backup. So it might reluctantly be time for me to 'let it go'.

2. sfoguy macrumors newbie

I'm the person who reported this issue to MacRumors.
    With all due respect to your music concerns, may I ask that we please stick to the immediate topic at hand, which is iOS app management in iTunes on the Mac? Your tangent is not relevant. Maybe take it up on your own thread?
    Thank you.

3. Be3G macrumors member

Well, they've sort-of removed it – as post #63 shows it's still downloadable from the direct URL. But my question anyway was that for those who had downloaded it and installed it prior to Mojave being released, does it actually work in Mojave, even though it's not possible to install it in the new OS? (Sometimes a software installer is incompatible with a new OS, but the software itself isn't.)

4. bogdanw macrumors newbie

bogdanw

5. sfoguy macrumors newbie

Have you tried this yourself? Do you know if iPhone X and XS will connect with this? I know my X connected before the Mojave debacle, but don't want to mess around if it's not fully functional.

Many thanks!

6. SummerSoFar macrumors newbie

Thanks to bogdanw for the basis of how I got 12.6.5.3 re-installed.

You will need to first disable SIP, then sudo rm -rf iTunes.app (the 12.9 version), and then finally extract iTunes.app (only) from the 12.6 installer. AppDelete alone is not sufficient to remove iTunes.

Everything seems to work perfectly.

7. sfoguy, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018

sfoguy macrumors newbie

You and bogdanw seem to be on to the right path.

Would it be possible to please combine your methods into one clear path to remedy? I hesitate to guesstimate my way through it. I believe many others would appreciate the instructions. I'm adept, as long as I have a recipe to follow.

Thanks again.

8. bogdanw, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018

bogdanw macrumors newbie

bogdanw

Work in progress: Apple script to delete iTunes and modify the iTunes.pkg from iTunes 12.6 dmg to allow installation on Mojave.
    Code:
    set question to display dialog "Delete iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
    set answer to button returned of question
    if answer is equal to "Yes" then
        do shell script "rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app" with administrator privileges
        display dialog "iTunes was deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
        set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
        do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
        do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
        do shell script "sed -i '' 's/18A1/14F2511/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
        do shell script "sed -i '' 's/gt/lt/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
        do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
        do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
        do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
    end if
    if answer is equal to "No" then
        display dialog "iTunes was not deleted" buttons {"Ok"}
        return
    end if

set question to display dialog "Install iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
        do shell script "open ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
        return
    end if
        display dialog "Modified iTunes.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
        return
    end if
    The package still displays an error message, but the installation continues.
    I have SIP disabled and I can't test the script with SIP enabled.
    Edit: Improved code with restriction bypassed, the modified pkg installs without error messages.

9. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

IMO, it might make sense to include it in the Mac OS App Store. Have it as a separate tab similar to how music and podcasts are separated. With the increased merging between iOS and Mac apps, it might work.

10. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

The thing is that's just fragmentation for the sake of it, more apps for no real gain. I agree that Audiobooks should be in iBooks though - at it should all sync the way audiobooks/PDFs do in the cloud - or least gives us audiobook cloud support, that for me is the only thing missing in iTunes.

I don't use films or TV shows but the library organisation is nice if you do use those things - for me it's not bloated to have them there because they're on a separate tab. I only ever see music 95% of the time, and Podcasts 5% of the time when I wish to it (though I mainly use iPhone and Watch for that) - for me iTunes is just an extension of the Music app on the iPhone letting me do more advanced organisation and meta data tagging and run scripts.

11. sfoguy macrumors newbie

Thanks for all this work. By your edits, there now seems to be a workable script? I'm not experienced with Apple Script, so is it something that can be formatted in a step-by-step format that anyone can follow?

12. bogdanw macrumors newbie

bogdanw

It should work: just open Apple Script, copy-paste the code and press Run. It will ask for your password to delete iTunes, then ask you to select the iTunes 12.6 dmg and from that it will make a modified iTunes.pkg that can be installed on Mojave. The iTunes.pkg will be saved on your Desktop.
    It might not even be necessary to delete iTunes first, but I can't confirm as I don't have a copy of the iTunes app from Mojave.

13. sfoguy macrumors newbie

I've opened Script Editor, and copied and pasted the code.

Does the iTunes 12.6 dmg have to be in some particular place for the script to find it? I have it in the Downloads folder now.

--- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    Forgot to ask. Does this restore my iTunes library to the state before it was upgraded to 12.9? All music files intact? Is this handled by the Apple Script, or are there further steps?

Apologies for all the questions, and thanks for all your efforts.

14. brian017 macrumors regular

I'm getting a Script Error when I run the script. It lists various operations and says "operation not permitted" after them

15. TooDarkPark Suspended

TooDarkPark

I have an i7 Mac Mini on High Sierra with an old iTunes version installed that still has the app store just to be able to install a few apps that are no longer available in the app store. my 8+ is on iOS 11.4.1 so iTunes doesn't complain.

I had to update the iTunes on my MBP when I got my 8+ because it said the iTunes version listed in the OP was outdated and couldn't be used with the iOS 11 version it shipped with.

16. SummerSoFar macrumors newbie

SIP must be disabled first. There is no way around this.

17. bogdanw macrumors newbie

bogdanw

The script asks you to "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file"
    No, it doesn't restore your iTunes library. You should follow the previous step 4. If you have opened iTunes 12.9, replace iTunes Library.itl with the last saved version from Previous iTunes Libraries
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    Please don't disable SIP and try this modified version of the script
    Code:
    display dialog "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file" buttons {"Ok"}
    set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes 12.6 dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
    do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
    do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
    do shell script "sed -i '' 's/18A1/14F2511/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
    do shell script "sed -i '' 's/gt/lt/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
    do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
    do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
    do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"

set question to display dialog "Install iTtunes?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1
        do shell script "open ~/Desktop/iTunes.pkg"
        return
    end if
        display dialog "Modified iTunes.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
        return
    end if
    It doesn't delete iTunes and creates a modified iTunes.pkg that could install over iTunes 12.9.

18. brian017 macrumors regular

I left SIP enabled and ran the modified script; when it went to install 12.6.5 it alerted me it may be incompatible with my version of osx, I clicked 'Continue anyway' after it went through the installation process it said the installation had failed and to contact the administrator

19. Hawaiian Starman macrumors member

The primary reason I use the 12.6.x version of iTunes is bandwidth and cost. More so, I did not realize iTunes 12.6.x would not be compatible with OS X Mojave. Thanks Apple.

I don't have unlimited data on my internet or cellular plans. As such, makes no sense to chew up data allowance by downloading the same IOS app update on each device I own. Much easier and much more cost effective to do it once on my computer via iTunes, then sync to each device. Why is this so hard for Apple to understand? One solution: create a standalone OS X app a la the App Store specific for IOS apps that allow for app synching to devices.

20. Hawaiian Starman macrumors member

Same here

21. Hawaiian Starman macrumors member

Thank you for your efforts with the Script. Appreciate it!

After disabling SIP and restarting the computer, the above script worked like a charm. iTunes 12.6.5 now installed and running on Mojave. I sure hope Apple soon comes out with a more direct process to eliminate this creative workaround.

And to remind: I am on limited data plans for both cellular and internet (live in South Africa). Downloading app upgrades to each device is time consuming and costly. Much better solution to download to one source (iTunes), then sync to the various devices. No issue if Apple wants to peal away the IOS App Store from iTunes. But please create an IOS App Store app for syncing these things to various IOS devices, or perhaps add another layer to the current Mojave App Store.

22. bogdanw macrumors newbie

bogdanw

I'm sorry, I can't help with SIP enabled as I have old programs that required it disabled.
    With SIP disdabled, I have just installed the modified iTunes.pkg without deleting iTunes 12.9 on a new Mojave instalation. With the installed version (12.6.5.3) I have succesfully made a back-up of an iPhone X and restored it to a brand new iPhone XS Max.
    A few ideas:
    1. Disable SIP, install iTunes 12.6, enable SIP
    2. Extract iTunes 12.6 with Pacifist to a different location than Applications folder, it should run from anywhere.

23. sfoguy macrumors newbie

I'm most happy to say that this worked. iTunes 12.6.5 restored, along with Library. Everything is back to normal, not 12.9.

Many many many thanks to bogdanw for his patient efforts.

A couple of pointers:

To Disable/Enable SIP, I used the following instructions from OSXDaily:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

http://osxdaily.com/2018/08/09/how-enable-sip-system-integrity-protection-mac/

And just to be safe, I did go into a TimeMachine backup to restore the iTunes library prior to the Mojave debacle:

Home>Music>iTunes>iTunesLibrary.itl

24. saytheenay macrumors member

Another option is iMazing. You can use it to manage and update apps (in addition to a lot of other features) and iTunes to manage media.

It's not free, but it is a solution if you need to be on iTunes 12.9 for some reason.

I am going to try bogdanw's solution since all my iDevices are locked on iOS 10.3.3.

25. Tech Copywriter macrumors newbie

Tech Copywriter

I followed option 1 and the install has completed perfectly. Thanks for the script bogdanw - it made everything so easy. Great job.