Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Apple is very reckless with product releases. Features are added/dropped ad hoc. Apple really needs to take a longer term vision and clearly communicate what is in/out with each product - not via sites like Macrumor, tech publications, etc. but through the evolution of the operating system.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Who could blame them for doing their own? When your partner and competitor wants to use their strength in such a way. Thats business.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Who could blame them for doing their own? When your partner and competitor wants to use their strength in such a way. Thats business.

Then there is a big difference in what we see as "good" business. Having to go out an apologize to your customers over a bad product and tell them to use alternatives (even from competitors) is, in my view, not "good" business.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Then there is a big difference in what we see as "good" business. Having to go out an apologize to your customers over a bad product and tell them to use alternatives (even from competitors) is, in my view, not "good" business.

Sometimes its the better of two bad choices. Referring parties to the third party providers like Waze is not bad at all, but i agree with you having to apologize is not good business.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Sometimes its the better of two bad choices. Referring parties to the third party providers like Waze is not bad at all, but i agree with you having to apologize is not good business.

Why do you think there were only 2 bad choices ?

If anything, there was a 3rd choice, a path not taken that in hindsight would have been the right choice.

The Maps app should have been treated the same way OS X was. The release should have followed the same pattern.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Why do you think there were only 2 bad choices ?

If anything, there was a 3rd choice, a path not taken that in hindsight would have been the right choice.

The Maps app should have been treated the same way OS X was. The release should have followed the same pattern.

I'm not sure we know all the details behind this. I'm not assuming we do. Sure Apple had another year in their contract with Google but that doesn't mean there was not other issues, including things like contract terms that had built in review points.

Sometimes i agree, companies just bungle things. Other times you have to believe highly paid people took the best course they had available.

BTW - Navigating two weeks now on the Apple app has been close to flawless for me. Navigating about four months on my HTC One X with Google has yielded about the same amount of mistakes per week.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Blackberry - The smartphone for actual work, and not just dicking around.

Really? I have one supplied by work and it is a piece of ****. I have to pull the battery once or twice a week because I lose audio. The ui blows too.

csrini1

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I don't use a lot of maps , but the new apple maps is not that bad as people are making out it to be. and apple maps will only become better as time goes by.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I don't use a lot of maps , but the new apple maps is not that bad as people are making out it to be. and apple maps will only become better as time goes by.

agreed personally I think they're ok. In fact they seem to be a cross between google earth and maps. It's so easy to navigate around the world, drop pins and look around. True some of the map data isn't that great but if this is what it's like when they have issues I can't wait until a year from now.

They had to as someone said pull off the plaster fast with some pain now. I like google for some things like search but that's about all.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Why do people think crowd sourcing is magic?

Crowd sourcing is a minority source of map data. Even Google Maps gets what, maybe 10% of it's map data from crowd sourcing? And it's starting off with better data and more incentive to correct mistakes as they affect the business listings in the world's biggest search engine too.

When you combine that with the fact that the crowd sourcing on Apple Maps *sucks* (data updating seems to be very slow, the inferface to do so when a POI is missing is terrible, the interface to do so when the actual map itself is wrong is non-existant etc etc), Apple Maps is not going to get better quickly. Anyone who thinks so is living in complete denial.

Crowd sourcing is only one means of getting updates but it is a good way of getting problems flagged. Google is good now but many people forget how poor it was when it first launched and how valuable all the user feedback has been over the years in pinpointing problems. I have to agree that the usability in reporting problems is pretty crappy. I have used it a few times and even as someone who is tech savvy I found it somewhere between difficult and impossible to use. The only good thing about this is that who ever was in change of it at Apple has been shown up to be useless jackass and hopefully will never be put in a position of responsibility again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.