Apple's Stock Plunges $20 as Stock Market Trading Temporarily Halted After Opening Bell

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's stock opened at $255.94 this morning, down nearly $20 from a closing price of $275.43 on Wednesday, as the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic continues to result in wild fluctuations on the stock market this week.

The broader S&P 500 index dropped over seven percent shortly after the opening bell this morning, triggering an automatic suspension of trading for 15 minutes.

Apple like many large companies is taking several precautions in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak around the world, including closing all Apple Stores in Italy, suspending Today at Apple sessions in several regions, and more. It is also looking very likely that Apple will not hold WWDC 2020 as a physical event, with other large developer conferences like Google I/O and Facebook F8 having already been canceled.

Apple reportedly encouraged its employees in Cupertino and many other locations to work from home this week if possible.

COVID-19 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization on Wednesday.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Plunges $20 as Stock Market Trading Temporarily Halted After Opening Bell

Last edited:
Reactions: macfacts

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Great time to buy in if you’ve been thinking about it. That’s what I’m starting to do by dollar cost averaging.

Unlike 2008 with the mortgage fraud that precipitated the crash back then, the underlying fundamentals of the current economy are very strong. Things will come roaring back when the market finally prices this pandemic in.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's hoping 🙏

Unfortunately, I may need to postpone my father's memorial service that is scheduled for next weekend in CA; most of the attendees are in the high-risk groups.
Sorry for your loss. 😢

There's always going to be comments from people that are not impacted personally. I hope they begin to realize that there are other realities out there.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Activating fear mode on people's mind is like spilling water on the MacBook Pro. Worst decisions comes from fear. So relax and breath, and don't let you mind be fooled by your fear. After all nothing can be done by worrying. When it happens it happens, and nothing can be done about that. I wish you all strength to face reality and not fall victims to the traps of fear. Use this as a opportunity to call your friends and family, specially those which you have not talk in a long time and give them support

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Activating fear mode on people's mind is like spilling water on the MacBook Pro. Worst decisions comes from fear. So relax and breath, and don't let you mind be fooled by your fear. After all nothing can be done by worrying. When it happens it happens, and nothing can be done about that. I wish you all strength to face reality and not fall victims to the traps of fear. Use this as a opportunity to call your friends and family, specially those which you have not talk in a long time and give them support.
On the other hand...Sometimes, and it seems for sure this time, it's fear that's necessary to get people to do the right thing and behave responsibly. ie, educating themselves about the pandemic, social distancing, washing hands frequently, self-quarantining if ill, etc.

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
As predicted it's on its way to under $200. Don't let the old grinch Warren Buffett trick small investors with pump and dump since he was late to unload at first news of pandemic.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
On the other hand...Sometimes, and it seems for sure this time, it's fear that's necessary to get people to do the right thing and behave responsibly. ie, educating themselves about the pandemic, social distancing, washing hands frequently, self-quarantining if ill, etc.

Here's some useful information about COVID-19.
One thing is to be forced to do things by fear, and another to do things willingly by understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

brinary001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Here's hoping 🙏

Unfortunately, I may need to postpone my father's memorial service that is scheduled for next weekend in CA; most of the attendees are in the high-risk groups.
Damn I'm real sorry to hear that. Not just about your loss, but the fact you can't properly celebrate his life like I'm sure you want to. I hope something works out eventually ❤
- - Post merged: - -

The stock market will go back up, it is going to be a great time to buy!
Bought my first Apple and Tesla stocks yesterday because they were so low, only for them to drop even lower today (argh should've waited) but I'll still make a nice lil profit when they all bounce back

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I wonder when stocks will hit bottom? The coronavirus is just getting started in the USA. It has exponential growth characteristics, so I’d expect total cases to double every week or so for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: tongxinshe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.