Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has made its Thai website black and white to honor the death of Thailand's king Bhumibol Adulyadej, who passed away last week at the age of 88. Bhumibol Adulyadej had served as the ninth monarch of Thailand since 1946, making him the world's longest-serving head of state at the time of his death ahead of Queen Elizabeth II.

apple-thailand-black-white.jpg

The monochrome website reflects Thai citizens who have dressed in pure black or black and white to mourn the loss of Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was a highly revered figure in the country. Thai TV stations have also provided footage of the king in black and white, colors that represent grief and purity respectively in the country.

Article Link: Apple's Thailand Website Honors King Bhumibol Adulyadej's Death

kingpushup

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Kind gesture of respect. I know many mourning, watching and rewatching black and white footage of their king. He was a source of stability for their country and a force for good in support of their many poor farmers. So, he will be missed, but their solidarity for him is a huge sign of support for continued stability. Nice to see Apple recognizing this moment of solidarity and transition.

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Kind gesture of respect. I know many mourning, watching and rewatching black and white footage of their king. He was a source of stability for their country and a force for good in support of their many poor farmers. So, he will be missed, but their solidarity for him is a huge sign of support for continued stability. Nice to see Apple recognizing this moment of solidarity and transition.

Yeah, nice to see Apple showing respect for a man who you get sent to prison for saying anything negative about.

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
... a force for good in support of their many poor farmers ... their solidarity for him is a huge sign of support for continued stability ...

With a fortune estimated between 40 and 50 billion dollars, the king's assets were far better hidden then billionaires who don't have their own country and laws that ruthlessly suppress any discussion. During the course of 7 decades, the highly publicised gestures of "support" for the dirt poor majority were peanuts compared to the ludicrous wealth being amassed by the royal family and the elite who hide behind them.

If so inclined, the king could have taken real steps to eradicate poverty in what is, actually, a relatively rich country. Whenever the poor tried electing leaders with any interest in actually helping them (with rural clinics, small welfare payments for the old and other minor attempts to alleviate true hardship) the army took over, with the full support of the king.

As for signs of support, no-one can really know what the Thai people truly believe or support, because they cannot vote and can receive 30 years in a hellhole prison for voicing an opinion or, even, liking the wrong Facebook post. My impression is that the king was a huge presence in everyone's life but most Thais, outside the elites, have serious misgivings about the whole system and are alarmed by the crown prince.

Of course, no-one can express such thoughts openly, but don't believe that everyone participating in the current exaggerated displays of mourning is doing so voluntarily, in that sense they are no more free than North Koreans.

Last edited:

vip007

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2006
Of course, no-one can express such thoughts openly, but don't believe that everyone participating in the current exaggerated displays of mourning is doing so voluntarily, in that sense they are no more free than North Koreans.

Without trying to make this a political discussion: I am not Thai, but have friends who are. Regular folks, not elites, but neither the farmers from the rural north. And they were and are all genuinely mourning the king's passing. Now, whether or not they have a full picture of what the royal family has or has not done, what kind of wealth they may have amassed (which they know about the crown prince), who benefited from the cult of the king is another thing. The fact is that for majority of Thais the king was an inseparable part of their lives. It is a welcome sign that a western company like Apple respects differences and is sensitive to them.

kingpushup

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
With a fortune, the king could have eradicated poverty.

I learned long ago: When someone is mourning, just let them mourn and breathe. Support their grief or say nothing.

My partner has been watching black and white videos basically non-stop and crying generally. She Skypes with family and they just cry. I appreciated what Apple and Google did in Thailand with the Black and White concept. I just observe.

Now I want to share a bit from those I know outside my partner's circle of family and friends, because I do a bit of international business and have friends in a variety of levels over there.

I am connected to Thai farmers - average really poverty level folks. But just because they do not have high tech gadgets does not mean that they do not appreciate what they have.

Right now tho, they are really really grieving.

I am a colleague of a few politicians there. Most in Thai politics want to move away from the king's legacy - to varying degrees; they want to develop the land and boost professional urbanites. Some are seeking specifically to solidify a national narrative that does NOT include the king's legacy work for farmers' rights.

Interesting example: Let's change the constitution so that each professional class gets an equal vote. Lawyers and doctors and ... each get a vote. Farmers also get one vote as a class - and thus lose every time. Fortunately that did not pass.

The king had tremendous assets in land primarily in downtown Bangkok. Not liquid and not really his to sell. The king was a figurehead as the Queen of England, yet he gave and emphasized the importance of giving to the farmers.

The king's children are each different in their own ways. While he lived humbly, some children liked the celebrity nature of royalty. You could complain that he should have reined them in. The king's next in line is one like that, and Thai people and politicians alike fear that direction; but again this fear is tempered by the fact that Thai royal power is limited largely to figurehead status.

The king's temperment held some politicians in check against their egos somewhat. Still, small revolutions occurred especially as he was getting older and ill, and some politicians self-currupted. The fear is that such political opportunism will be less tempered in the absence of the modest king. The next in line shows little modesty or skill to guide the hearts and minds of politicians.

Those I know with wealth could definitely do more! They admit this, but are focused on business- just not looking to give away what are absolutely more liquid assets.

The king did what he could largely to conserve farmers rights and farmland, and that was precisely what caused such a backlash from some politicians for such constitutional amendments as I noted above; an overreaction to the king's guarding of the farmers.

Now, I do not have an opinion what the final form should be in government there, as I am not Thai myself and as I believe that governments are constantly responding to their situations and growing to adapt.

However, Thai grief is real. It is not North Korea. Though I could see where you are coming from given how crazy the world has become - who knows what anymore, right? And some strong politicians do coerce, I get that. But the ambitious types in Thai politics are currently wanting to forget the king, not to remember him.

Outside Thailand, markets fear the instability.

Inside now farmers and many wealthy and many in between now fear the future given the political ambitions of a few, who see the next in line as less capable to temper them and less interested in protecting farmers.

Personally again I believe that These last 15 years have allowed Thailand to prepare. They have seen political corruption of a few, and have seen course corrections as a country. They are experienced and, god willing, ready for the next moment about to come.

Apart from all that, again just a nice small thing what Apple and Google did to align with the many in this moment.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I learned long ago: When someone is mourning, just let them mourn and breathe. Support their grief or say nothing.

My partner has been watching black and white videos basically non-stop and crying generally. She Skypes with family and they just cry. I appreciated what Apple and Google did in Thailand with the Black and White concept. I just observe.

Now I want to share a bit from those I know outside my partner's circle of family and friends, because I do a bit of international business and have friends in a variety of levels over there.

I am connected to Thai farmers - average really poverty level folks. But just because they do not have high tech gadgets does not mean that they do not appreciate what they have.

Right now tho, they are really really grieving.

I am a colleague of a few politicians there. Most in Thai politics want to move away from the king's legacy - to varying degrees; they want to develop the land and boost professional urbanites. Some are seeking specifically to solidify a national narrative that does NOT include the king's legacy work for farmers' rights.

Interesting example: Let's change the constitution so that each professional class gets an equal vote. Lawyers and doctors and ... each get a vote. Farmers also get one vote as a class - and thus lose every time. Fortunately that did not pass.

The king had tremendous assets in land primarily in downtown Bangkok. Not liquid and not really his to sell. The king was a figurehead as the Queen of England, yet he gave and emphasized the importance of giving to the farmers.

The king's children are each different in their own ways. While he lived humbly, some children liked the celebrity nature of royalty. You could complain that he should have reined them in. The king's next in line is one like that, and Thai people and politicians alike fear that direction; but again this fear is tempered by the fact that Thai royal power is limited largely to figurehead status.

The king's temperment held some politicians in check against their egos somewhat. Still, small revolutions occurred especially as he was getting older and ill, and some politicians self-currupted. The fear is that such political opportunism will be less tempered in the absence of the modest king. The next in line shows little modesty or skill to guide the hearts and minds of politicians.

Those I know with wealth could definitely do more! They admit this, but are focused on business- just not looking to give away what are absolutely more liquid assets.

The king did what he could largely to conserve farmers rights and farmland, and that was precisely what caused such a backlash from some politicians for such constitutional amendments as I noted above; an overreaction to the king's guarding of the farmers.

Now, I do not have an opinion what the final form should be in government there, as I am not Thai myself and as I believe that governments are constantly responding to their situations and growing to adapt.

However, Thai grief is real. It is not North Korea. Though I could see where you are coming from given how crazy the world has become - who knows what anymore, right? And some strong politicians do coerce, I get that. But the ambitious types in Thai politics are currently wanting to forget the king, not to remember him.

Outside Thailand, markets fear the instability.

Inside now farmers and many wealthy and many in between now fear the future given the political ambitions of a few, who see the next in line as less capable to temper them and less interested in protecting farmers.

Personally again I believe that These last 15 years have allowed Thailand to prepare. They have seen political corruption of a few, and have seen course corrections as a country. They are experienced and, god willing, ready for the next moment about to come.

Apart from all that, again just a nice small thing what Apple and Google did to align with the many in this moment.
Thanks for that in-depth assessment. A totally different world most of us know little about.

Reactions: nnoble

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
My girlfriend is Thai and we have a business in Thailand. Her background is rural. I can gaurentee that the majority of the population (I would say at least 80% if not more), genuinely loved their king. As a foreigner it's hard to comprehend that sort of emotion towards a member of a royal family. Regardless of foreign perceptions on what he has done or could have done etc, most Thais are very loyal to their King.

Reactions: thewitt and nnoble

irock101

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
Almost every website in thailand is black and white these days. Even google changed their logo to black.

bon114

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016
Bangkok, Thailand
I am a local witnessing and mourning for His Majesty late King of Thailand.

Here the love and mourning for the King is genuine for most Thais regardless of their political views. The loyalty for the King is not simply due to his royalty status but largely due to the work he had done for seven decades. (Apart from being Head of State his work focused on improving agriculture, irrigation - even artificial rain, and flood water management. All directly improves the well being of both rural and urban Thais.)
For somebody in his status, such amount of work is unnecessarily and you may feel he is a workaholic. In my opinion I do feel that his subjects are his passion. After seventy years most Thais of course feel his compassion.

Like everything nowadays many gossip news are twisted. Some simply judge others by wealth and find it easier to believe in negative than positive. It is nice to see Apple and many who do recognise and respect others sensitivity, in this case a whole nation.

Reactions: nnoble and thewitt

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
'no-one can really know what the Thai people truly believe or support': take what you see at face value, they are not on the streets at gunpoint. In my experience there is genuine grass roots affection for the late King across the spectrum.

'exaggerated displays of mourning is doing so voluntarily, in that sense they are no more free than North Koreans.' Comparing Thais in this sense with North Koreans is patent nonsense and an exaggeration in itself.

Working in China I've visited and passed through Thailand frequently over the past decade. Some of what you say is true but being cynical about the current emotion being expressed is unwarranted.

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Like everything nowadays many gossip news are twisted. Some simply judge others by wealth and find it easier to believe in negative than positive.

Isn't it possible that you have this rosy picture of the man because that's the only image your government allows to be portrayed? The subjects of North Korea will tell you the same thing about their glorious leaders. You can call it twisted, but personally I find it hard to believe in somebody's benevolence when anyone who says something negative about them gets sent to the gulag.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
My girlfriend is Thai and we have a business in Thailand. Her background is rural. I can gaurentee that the majority of the population (I would say at least 80% if not more), genuinely loved their king. As a foreigner it's hard to comprehend that sort of emotion towards a member of a royal family. Regardless of foreign perceptions on what he has done or could have done etc, most Thais are very loyal to their King.
I agree. Sadly, people from so called western countries have lost the ability to empathise with these sentiments which is unfortunate for them. On the other hand, sooner or later the UK will experience the passing of HRH Queen Elizabeth and we will see the difference in the passing of a much loved monarch compared with here today gone tomorrow presidents and prime ministers. Meanwhile, try and put aside the corrosive cynicism destroying western societies.

Reactions: bon114

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Isn't it possible that you have this rosy picture of the man because that's the only image your government allows to be portrayed? The subjects of North Korea will tell you the same thing about their glorious leaders. You can call it twisted, but personally I find it hard to believe in somebody's benevolence when anyone who says something negative about them gets sent to the gulag.
Patronising comment. Thais are well informed people regardless of the strict laws regarding the monarchy. Willfull ignorance may be on display in this thread but not by Thais.

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York

Totally agree. Especially when you can be accused of disrespect for simply wearing black near/on his birthday. I'm hoping for stability, but thinking a real storm (cleaned that up!) is brewing with the presumptive replacement allegedly being held in low esteem.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

As a foreigner it is very easy to comprehend the sort of emotion that Thai people feel toward their late king. It is genuine, albeit instilled from a young age. He did, however, have (the means) to do enough to be seen to be worthy of such respect. To be Thai is to be loyal to their king. To be otherwise is unacceptable; to express otherwise is illegal.

King Bhumiphol was the only king or queen to have been born in the the USA. He was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts on 5 December 1927.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Patronising comment. Thais are well informed people regardless of the strict laws regarding the monarchy. Willfull ignorance may be on display in this thread but not by Thais.

Where do they get their information from? How do they discuss it, challenge ideas, form new opinions?
[doublepost=1476900025][/doublepost]
I agree. Sadly, people from so called western countries have lost the ability to empathise with these sentiments which is unfortunate for them. On the other hand, sooner or later the UK will experience the passing of HRH Queen Elizabeth and we will see the difference in the passing of a much loved monarch compared with here today gone tomorrow presidents and prime ministers. Meanwhile, try and put aside the corrosive cynicism destroying western societies.

When the Queen dies I for one won't shed a tear. She has done nothing to improve British society, she's a symbol of inequality and social conservativism, and she in no way deserves more respect that elected politicians who have to make real, difficult decisions on behalf of their electorate. Being born to certain parants and then being alive is not an achievement. However, I am at least glad I'm free to express this opinion, even if the British media idolises all things royal.

Reactions: ronntaylor

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I must say you don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about. There are thousands and thousands of western ex-patriates living in Thailand. This is nothing like North Korea. You are being ridiculous.

alcanfane

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
..and who most likely (accidentally) killed his brother, the previous king.

What a nonsense reply. When his brother was shot by bullet, King Bhumibol was just 15 years old and that time, Thailand was controlled by People's party- a group of people who succeeded in changing from Absolute monarchy to democracy and wanted to remove all royal family away from Thailand.

Reactions: nnoble

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
What a nonsense reply. When his brother was shot by bullet, King Bhumibol was just 15 years old and that time, Thailand was controlled by People's party- a group of people who succeeded in changing from Absolute monarchy to democracy and wanted to remove all royal family away from Thailand.
He was 18, and the last person to see his brother alive. An accidental discharge subsequently covered up by loyalists is by far the least outlandish theory.

Reactions: ronntaylor

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
He was 18, and the last person to see his brother alive. An accidental discharge subsequently covered up by loyalists is by far the least outlandish theory.

And the only reason why it's a "mystery" to who shot him. Had it been any other possibility, there would have been a manhunt to find the culprit. It was, in all likelihood, a tragic accident. But an accident that couldn't be shared/acknowledged by royalists. It may have severely harmed the monarchy given the times.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
And the only reason why it's a "mystery" to who shot him. Had it been any other possibility, there would have been a manhunt to find the culprit. It was, in all likelihood, a tragic accident. But an accident that couldn't be shared/acknowledged by royalists. It may have severely harmed the monarchy given the times.

It was in all likelihood a tragic accident, none the less 3 people (in all likelihood innocent) were convicted and executed, and the case was closed.

Upon what information do you base this patronising comment?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.