Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 12-inch MacBook Air and the Apple Watch are expected to enter mass production in 2015 as the company's supply partners have accelerated component production for both products, reports Digitimes. Supply chain sources note that the 12-inch MacBook Air will feature Intel's Broadwell processors and a new ultra-thin design. The new notebook is also expected to be available in limited supply when it launches due to yield issues with components, and will be primarily manufactured by Quanta Computer.

macbook_air_2014.jpg
This information about the 12-inch MacBook Air provided by Digitimes lines up with previous reports, as Apple was rumored to be developing a new form factor complete with a buttonless trackpad and a fan-less cooling system for the laptop. Intel launched its new ultra low power Broadwell Core M processors this past November, which will likely power the 12-inch MacBook Air.

Aside from an ultra-slim design and a new processor, Apple will also look to offer the 12-inch MacBook Air in Silver, Gold, and Space Gray options when it launches in mid-2015.

Article Link: Apple's Ultra-Slim 12-Inch MacBook Air Rumored to Enter Mass Production in Early 2015

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Why so long?

It's just a sheet of paper with an Apple sticker on it...

Edit: I found a leaked image:
MXpgrCT.jpg

tonymillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2006
London
It just suddenly occurred to me about the click-less trackpad.

The :apple:Watch has a pressure sensitive screen that you can press harder to get more effect.

Well that could be the same tech they're using on the new Macbook Air trackpad to make the click unnecessary and it not be as annoying as when you put it into "Tap to click" mode.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
If you compare the MacBook Air to the iPad Air 2, it seems inevitable it will get a Retina Display and become thinner.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I'm going to have to quit my job as a software developer and become an analyst. It's just like "Ohhh it'll start production in early 2015" *early 2015 passes* "What I really meant was late 2015!"

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It just suddenly occurred to me about the click-less trackpad.

The :apple:Watch has a pressure sensitive screen that you can press harder to get more effect.

Well that could be the same tech they're using on the new Macbook Air trackpad to make the click unnecessary and it not be as annoying as when you put it into "Tap to click" mode.

Was thinking of that myself. Can expect it to go into a refresh of the MBPr toward the end of next year.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
yeah right, Apple launching something in the first half of the year......... Good Luck!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Apple should make a true Mac tablet.

Doubt it. The desktop paradigm does not work with a tablet interface. The fiasco of the 90's era PenMac still haunts the halls in Cupertino.

----------

I'm going to have to quit my job as a software developer and become an analyst. It's just like "Ohhh it'll start production in early 2015" *early 2015 passes* "What I really meant was late 2015!"

Keep the day job. The pay of entry level market analysis types is abysmal.

----------

yeah right, Apple launching something in the first half of the year......... Good Luck!

My take is they will have a tough time getting the Apple Watch out in time for WWDC next year.

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Was 11" too small and 13" too big for some people?

Change for the sake of change, I imagine.

I'm already semi-unhappy with the integrated button into the trackpads. I quite often second-guess myself when clicking. A dedicated button never gave me that trouble. And I prefer the tactile feedback. Please, for the love of Jobs, don't ruin the perfect Mac...

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The question is, prior rumors had this machine using Apple's processor and not Intel's.

I also think 12", like the 11" is just too small but that's just me.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Yeah right, I will believe when I see it. One thing is for sure though, Apple will have another iphone and ipad on the way soon! I'm done here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.