Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
If you actually think about its actually incredible what Apple thinks people will do to use Apple. If you look at the given picture, and only this picture… that's $US2498 (and significantly more in places where foreign exchange and sales taxes apply) of extras there with that already over-priced Mac mini. Its not like you're going to buy all this for the bottom spec i3 Mac mini with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. And this is not even including needed keyboard and mouse.

Why is it that people would even consider something like this… simple… a Mac Pro that hasn't been updated for 5 years and counting.

Reactions: femike and AlumaMac

charleswhalley

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Peterborough, England
If you actually think about its actually incredible what Apple thinks people will do to use Apple. If you look at the given picture, and only this picture… that's $US2498 (and significantly more in places where foreign exchange and sales taxes apply) of extras there with that already over-priced Mac mini. Its not like you're going to buy all this for the bottom spec i3 Mac mini with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. And this is not even including needed keyboard and mouse.

Why is it that people would even consider something like this… simple… a Mac Pro that hasn't been updated for 5 years and counting.
Agreed. Cooked has cooked his goose!! He has lost the pricing plot on new stuff and still expects people to buy 5 year old ****. He's a PR machine no longer worthy of leading this great company.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Its amazing how so many products Apple introduces are not available at the original release time frame (some cases are more than a year). Its almost like Apple management has no clue what they are doing. With Jobs people were fired for missing deadlines, but now it seems its just, "Oh, well, we'll try harder next time."

Does not give one a lot of confidence in the new Apple.
It's obviously analysts' fault, always producing wrong expectations because they don't have a clue

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
What's comical is your comment. This is an $800 graphics card.
Hasn't been $800 for a while.

Can be purchased via retail as low as $400 right now. but $500-$600 seems to be the median price point.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
You telling me that an eGPU with Vega 64 will not run on a 2018 Mac Mini with BlackMagic's casing? I was thinking about using the Sonnet's box with a Vega 64.

I used a Gigabyte Windforce OC version of the Vega 64 in a Sonnet BreakAway Box with the 650w PSU and it worked perfectly fine with my 2017 MBP... Well.. Except the noise!

Reactions: Menneisyys2

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
Can't be unseen. It does look upside down LMAO
I had a meeting with Apple for work recently and they had one of these about 2 feet from my face. I was feeling physically sick. Who the heck designed that thing?
I want names.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Why should I trust on Thunderbolt 3 since Thunderbolt 1 and 2 lasted for about only five years (2011-2016)? To get things worse, the TB3<->TB2 adapter from Apple receives bad reviews because of incompatibility issues when the host connection is TB2.

As a matter of comparison USB-A socket, on the other hand, lasted for about 18 years in Apple products (1998-2016).

The brilliance of and the long term prospects for Thunderbolt 3 rely on it using the USB-C connector instead of the Mini DisplayPort connector. Thunderbolt 1 and 2 also wrapped USB (and Ethernet, Firewire, DisplayPort, et al.) the exact same way, but using the DisplayPort connector made it seem like a different world to many, when in fact they were one and the same. Other than the shift from the DP connector to the USB-C connector and its enhanced Power Delivery capabilities, Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 1 & 2 are the same family of high-speed interconnect, although you are treating them as though they are completely alien to each other when they are not.

I have Apple's TB3<->TB2 adapter and it works perfectly fine, allowing me to use a 27" Late 2013 iMac as a secondary display via TDM or to hook up to an El Gato Thunderbolt 2 Dock to hook up monitors, SD card reader, printers and hard drives. The mistake people make, and one that Apple does not do a very good job of making crystal clear, is the fact that the TB3<->TB2 adapter does not pass DisplayPort signals on its own and is not a substitute for a DisplayPort to USB-C video cable. It works fine connecting to my Thunderbolt 2 dock and giving me video from the monitor attached to the DP port on the dock. This can be especially frustrating for anyone who has an Apple Cinema Display that uses DisplayPort and not Thunderbolt.

The USB-A socket is still being used on the recently introduced 2018 Mac mini, the 2013 Mac Pro and the 2017 MacBook Air, but is slowly cycling out. The merging of the two disparate ports is a bit jarring for some, no doubt, but technology marches on.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
On a sidenote, I can't stand the sight of that fugly archaic LG display next to anything Apple.

It makes 2010 Lenovo office screens look elegant in comparison. I miss when Apple made their own Cinema Display :(

Reactions: femike and trifid

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Its amazing how so many products Apple introduces are not available at the original release time frame (some cases are more than a year). Its almost like Apple management has no clue what they are doing. With Jobs people were fired for missing deadlines, but now it seems its just, "Oh, well, we'll try harder next time."

I am seeing a pattern with Apple now, the Air Power and now this.

Apple is becoming a king of paper launches.

December isn't too long from now.

The delay is one day as of now, but I really don't care. The Razer Core is a better option for an eGPU--cheaper, upgradable, and retaining all of the TB bandwidth for the eGPU (not sharing it with a USB hub, etc.)

Reactions: nt5672

oldoneeye

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
being a pedant .... It has 8GB of HBM2 (high bandwidth memory 2) not MBM2 ..... FTFY

DastardlyDave

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
Nvidia GeForce doesn’t support 10 bit color output and they don’t support all of Metal’s latest feature set. That would result in bugs and headache for developers.

IRay
[doublepost=1543591499][/doublepost]There was a time when I pinned all my hopes on Thunderbolt and an eGPU. Sadly, Apple is a few years too late but not a few dollars short, as always.

Reactions: trifid

Marzell

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018

It's not an Apple product. It's by Black magic.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
For $100 less I got an entire Dell desktop with a Core i7 8700, 16GB ram, 256/1T SSD/HD, NVIDIA GTX 1070, and even a clear side panel with interior lighting effects. This is why I bought a Dell desktop. Crazy Apple pricing. I feel like they aren’t even trying anymore on their desktop lines.

Apple should be selling computers with real graphics cards in them that are upgradable, instead of relying on super expensive third party add on hacks.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I disagree.

GPU is another heat source and a huge power hog. And you barely need it for audio. I much prefer the whole modular design... + you can stick it away from your face.

I wont have a fan blowing on my desk if i do audio

I mean, I guess that's fine if you like having them separate... but you can't really disagree that it's a janky setup. It just is! A clean, clutter free desktop means that everything should be together. And the best form of modularity is when everything's internal. External modularity is just messy.

Reactions: femike

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
It’s a Blackmagic product sold by Apple, just like the LG. Monitors, or LaCie drives or whatever. Why is this Apple’s problem?

This forum has become the most ridiculous troll den on the internet. Really getting stupid.
Why? People are just saying it’s a bad idea to buy an overpriced and underspecced piece of hardware that, to make matters worse, has little to no benefit in its intended use. Hardly classifies as trolling.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I mean, I guess that's fine if you like having them separate... but you can't really disagree that it's a janky setup. It just is! A clean, clutter free desktop means that everything should be together. And the best form of modularity is when everything's internal. External modularity is just messy.

the point is that most of audio professionals tuck the mess away in a soundproof closet. and to be honest, most of video professionals i've been to do that too, so they have a clean and noise-free environment to work in.

There's no professional environment that's clutter free. If you have 6 amps feed your surround speaker system you will have a mess of cables you need to organize. if you need to connect 24 inputs to the patchbay, you're gonna have to organize it.
if you do video you have 3 raid systems making noise.
if you do post or coloring you have an external gpu or two making noise.

one thunderbolt cable here is nothing for the management you have to do.

I rarely see a professional setting where computer sits on a desk, at the very least it's beneath it.

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
In principle, I agree with you, but there are much more effective and meaningful instruments than threat of dismissal. These are ultimately stupid and helpless and thus weak methods.

Yes, of course. The point was that no one wanted to let Jobs down, it seems letting Cook down does not carry the same weight either because Cook does not carry the big stick, he simply does not understand, or because he does not care.
[doublepost=1543600773][/doublepost]
Is this an “apple product”. I was under the impression that BlackMagic is an independent company and Apple is only associated with this whole product via a “Made for” certification

If BlackMagic is independent than being late is not a mark against Apple but against their partner

Apple made the release notice when the product was not ready. That is all Apple.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
IRay
[doublepost=1543591499][/doublepost]There was a time when I pinned all my hopes on Thunderbolt and an eGPU. Sadly, Apple is a few years too late but not a few dollars short, as always.

Apple included eGPU support in 10.13.4 not long after Windows finally had usable support. Don’t know how or where you got ‘few years’ from. This stuff has only gotten off the ground this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.