Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Upcoming Fitness+ Service Planned Long Before Pandemic

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Tuesday introduced a new Fitness+ home workout service that offers guided training videos that can be watched on iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV and monitored with the Apple Watch.

Given that Fitness+ provides videos that are ideal for people who are unable to visit gyms and other facilities, it has been seen as a logical response to the ongoing health crisis, but Apple's Chief Operating Officer Jeff Williams today told Reuters that it was planned long ago.

MacRumors in March discovered signs of the new Fitness+ service in a leaked version of iOS 14, confirming that Apple was working on it well before people began working and learning from home.

Work on Fitness+ started "quite a while ago" as a "natural extension goal of Apple Watch, which is to help people live a better day." Apple has long had a focus on encouraging people to be more active with the Apple Watch, offering an Activity app with daily movement goals.
"At least pre-Covid, if you could write one prescription for the world from physicians, it would have been to be more active. It's so powerful," Williams said in a press briefing. "So anything we do in that realm that helps people be more active is something we're excited about."
Fitness+ will offer workouts across a range of categories, including yoga, dance, treadmill walk and run, cycling, HIIT, rowing, core, strength, and mindful cooldown.

Apple films workout videos using a team of trainers in Los Angeles, with the exercises focusing on using little to no equipment.

Apple is planning to launch Fitness+ by the end of the year, with Apple charging $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year. Those who buy a new Apple Watch Series 3 or later will get a free three month trial.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Fitness+ Service Planned Long Before Pandemic

cuencap

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Props to Apple for being a content creator in this space.

I really hope they include audio only workouts for outdoor runs. I'll likely be in the minority for this, but I prefer audio only for strength workouts. I love my Peloton Bike but still use Aaptiv for strength workouts because I find the video based Peloton videos are a pain to follow while working out. Audio only allows you to focus on listening to the instructions while transitioning from workout to workout.

PS - RIP gyms....with Fitness+, Peloton, Nordictrack, Tonal, Mirror, or Aaptiv and a 3'x6' space in your house, you have your own gym.

Comment

tethead

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2005
NJ
I have the peloton and app. Sorry Apple.
my wife tried the Peloton app but hated the music selection (all due to royalties). i think this will be wildly successful because of the vast music library that can be used without further cost to either part.

if this launches as strongly as I think it will, then i'd think they may even more towards live classes at some point.

Comment

Ateam043

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015
PS - RIP gyms....with Fitness+, Peloton, Nordictrack, Tonal, Mirror, or Aaptiv and a 3'x6' space in your house, you have your own gym.

This! With my Norditrack S22i which includes not only bike videos, but strength, yoga, etc and other services I use there is no going back to the gym.

You save the time driving to gym and can use it to either rest or add to your workout time.

Reactions: clcnyc
Comment

RoobyRoobyRoo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
Makes sense. Something like this would take quite a bit of time to put together, and the COVID situation probably only slowed that process down further.

Reactions: Ghost31
Comment

McScooby

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
What would be your guess?
I'd guess there's probably a market for it with the AppleOne bundles, but again it all depends how much money they chuck at it & how long they decide to support it for like all other great ideas.
What's the numbers/uptake on fitness machines in gyms that the apple watch / iPhone synced with? Don't think that's been mentioned again since being introduced, is it considered a success, does it fit in with Fitness+ or has that been canned?
Or maybe that was the catalyst for Fitness+, great uptake & they want a bigger slice of the pie.

Last edited:
Comment

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
So I imagine for people looking to do the Cycle videos, would you be looking at purchasing a stationary bike or a bike trainer to turn your road bike into a stationary while inside?

Reactions: cr2
Comment

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Props to Apple for being a content creator in this space.

I really hope they include audio only workouts for outdoor runs. I'll likely be in the minority for this, but I prefer audio only for strength workouts. I love my Peloton Bike but still use Aaptiv for strength workouts because I find the video based Peloton videos are a pain to follow while working out. Audio only allows you to focus on listening to the instructions while transitioning from workout to workout.

Do you think the pivoting screen on the Peloton Bike+ will help you follow along with other workouts more easily?

Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Peloton weeps. If only that giant peloton LCD could be used to watch Netflix once in awhile.

I wonder if they have will have different exercise machines they support?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.