Apple's Upcoming Hardware Refresh to Include Thunderbolt LED Display, Not MacBook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 15, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, part numbers for upcoming Apple hardware updates surfaced, with claims that the parts represented new MacBook Air and Mac Pro models. While the MacBook Air part numbers are believed to be legitimate, the claim regarding the "Mac Pro" part numbers was later revised to state that they referred to new Mac mini and MacBook models.

But even that revised assertion isn't entirely correct, as the part number ascribed to a new MacBook is in fact for a new Thunderbolt-enabled LED Cinema Display.

[​IMG]

Apple has even confirmed that information by prematurely posting a new image on its site depicting the display and identifying in the URL as the "MC914" part that had been previously thought to be a new MacBook. The display appears essentially identical to the existing LED Cinema Display from the front, although Apple's new promotional image displays a Lion desktop background rather than the Snow Leopard one found on the images for the current model. The rear of the display will obviously include a Thunderbolt port in place of the current mini DisplayPort connection.

[​IMG]

Additional gallery images also show the new display paired with a number of Apple's Mac products, all of which show the same form factor as the current models, suggesting that the Mac mini scheduled to appear alongside the new display (which appears here as the Mac Mini Server model) will retain its current form factor. Apple's Mac Pro has been rumored to see a redesign, but appears set to debut a few weeks later than the new display, meaning that Apple would need to continue showing the new display alongside the current Mac Pro until that time.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Hardware Refresh to Include Thunderbolt LED Display, Not MacBook

2. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Surely, one of these rumors has to be correct.

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

This one actually sounds correct. I like 9to5 Mac, but they make too many assumptions.

What will be interesting to see is if the Cinema Display has Thunderbolt Ports on it for daisy chaining purposes.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It is getting to that point.

Though $999 for a new Cinema Display does sound about right.

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Since Apple was the one to post the images, I'm betting yes. ;)

Although I understand your rumor fatigue when we have received so many bad cues for the last week or so on the MacBook Air forums... :confused::mad:

6. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

13" Hi-Res MBA with Thunderbolt, here I come.

7. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I see from the photo that the new model still won't line up correctly next to the iMac. Lame for iMac users.

Glad to see some more Thunderbolt capable devices. I'm hoping to pick one of these up next year as I've never had an ACD, despite those being my initials, lol. Now if only some manufacturers would make some more devices at a decent price!

I thought I read somewhere that the display has to be the last in the chain? So if this only ends up having one port on the back, and not another to daisy chain, how is this different at all? A new icon? Lol.

8. LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

More B.S., I will not believe any of these silly rumors. The MacBook is the U.S. Apple Store's 5th best selling product. I do not believe they are getting rid of it! The MBA isn't even on the list of the top selling products.

9. hoing macrumors member

Wow. Simply Brilliant. Apple with unexpected. This will go nicely with my ipad2, iphone4 (white and black), macbook pro, and imac. Cant wait to get the mac pro. I am seriously considering moving next to the nearest apple store.

Steve, you have done it again! Simple genius. Sit down windows, this display shows why you are declining.

:apple:

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Just because the product code is a thunderbolt display and not a MacBook doesn't mean the MacBook is becoming discontinued.

11. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

For the purposes of a display, what's the need for a Thuderbolt port vs a Mini DisplayPort? It's the same connector right? What's the point? Would it have any advantages at all?

12. Zelnaga macrumors regular

These monitors better work with the 21.5in model iMacs!

13. jackrv macrumors 6502

Macduke, just a bit off topic, but do you know if the VESA mounts in the back of the iMac and the Cinema Display line up?

14. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Daisy chaining other thunderbolt products through the display. It probably has a FaceTime HD camera as well.

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Oh WOW, the new update that shows the MBP hooked up to two ACDs. That just made my day. Too bad it's so fracking expensive!

16. thevofl macrumors regular

17. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Ah the daisy chaining makes sense, especially if hooking up multiple monitors for Lion's full screen mode.

......oh that's right.:rolleyes:;)

18. tallguy macrumors regular

Can't tell if your sarcastic or not.

19. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Hey, maybe they will be cheaper! Doubt it, but can always hope...

20. tuna macrumors 6502

Ugh no pictures of the ports on the back? They could theoretically have almost any sort of port back there through thunderbolt... usb, firewire, audio, ethernet...

21. SilianRail macrumors 6502

Does the monitor still need to be the last link in the chain?

22. Ferazel macrumors regular

Can anyone make any size determinations based on the pictures if the new Cinema display is still 27" or if it is bumped up to 30" to replace the old 30" display?

23. winston1236 macrumors 68000

well i think that about covers every guess one could come up with

24. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Nice... but I'd rather be able to AirPlay/Mirror/Extend my MBP to my big TV with the ATV.

25. griz macrumors 6502a

Hey, M110 is missing from that wallpaper shot.
    (Yes, self proclaimed astronomy geek at your service)