Apple's US Market Share Growth Slows in 4Q 2008

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Gartner has released a preliminary report on U.S. and worldwide PC shipments for the fourth quarter of 2008. The report places Apple in fourth place in U.S market share at 8.0%, up from 6.7% in the fourth quarter of 2007, but down from 9.5% in the third quarter of 2008. The sequential decline in Apple's market share was not entirely unexpected, as Apple's traditionally strong performance in the back-to-school third quarter typically results in a drop in market share for the fourth quarter of each calendar year.

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-4Q08 (Gartner)

Apple's computer shipments, which had been growing 30-40% year-over-year according to Gartner's data, grew only 8.3% over fourth quarter of 2007 shipment numbers. Despite the slower growth rate, Apple continued to outperform the industry as a whole, which saw a significant decline in US shipments of 10.1% over the fourth quarter of 2007. Apple's growth, however, was outpaced by that of Acer, which saw a year-over-year increase of 55.4%, enough to take over the third place position formerly held by Apple. Gartner attributes Acer's recent market share success to their focus on the booming low-cost mini-notebook segment.

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q08 (Thousands of Units)

IDC also released a similar report today yielding comparable results. According to IDC, Apple's fourth quarter market share ranked fourth at 7.2%, while computer shipments grew 7.5% over 4Q 2007. IDC also released US market share data for calendar year 2008, where Apple placed fourth with a 7.7% market share, up from 6.2% in calendar year 2007. Apple's yearly growth rate of 25.7% far exceeded the industry-wide US growth rate of 2.4%.

Apple remained unable to break into the top five vendors for worldwide market share in either set of data, as Toshiba held down the fifth spot for both the fourth quarter of 2008 and calendar year 2008 at approximately 4.5%.

Article Link: Apple's US Market Share Growth Slows in 4Q 2008

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
One must applaud Acer for the Acer Aspire One, which is clearly a major contributing factor to the huge growth of Acer marketshare.

I almost bought one, but went for the Lenovo IdeaPad S10 instead. Which is in for repairs, naturally. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Apple's lack of interest in the netbook market ought to be reconsidered.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Way to go guys! People know a better product when they see one. Great news!
Morod
You're happy that Apple's market share has dipped slightly during Q4 2008?

Anyway, whether the market share goes up or down won't make a large difference in the long run, as Apple has hovered around 10% for a while now.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Growth is growth never the less, as the chart clearly illustrates. Netbooks and iPhone Nanos (outsdie the US) will very likely be considered as we head into Q1'09.

theAdviserMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
I think it is not just Apple but almost all businesses -- big or small -- are affected by the slowdown of the economy. And I think this is a global crisis engulfing all of us. :(

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
It's not much of a surprise that Apple's market share dropped. Everything is being affected by the economic downturn. However, I do think that Apple's market share wouldn't have been hit as hard as it was, if they were offering a netbook for sale. I have a feeling that within the next year, Apple will realease one.

Don

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
it doesnt look any different than what has happened in the past during 4Q

did you guys not read this?

The sequential decline in Apple's market share was not entirely unexpected, as Apple's traditionally strong performance in the back-to-school third quarter typically results in a drop in market share for the fourth quarter of each calendar year.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
It's not much of a surprise that Apple's market share dropped. Everything is being affected by the economic downturn. However, I do think that Apple's market share wouldn't have been hit as hard as it was, if they were offering a netbook for sale. I have a feeling that within the next year, Apple will realease one.

Don
I hope so, too. I'd really like to see the unibody MacBook, but shrunk down to around the 9-10'' display dimensions. Right now, I really like the new Sony Vaio P because it seems to have good build quality. That's what I'm looking for in a netbook; something small but durable. Apple hardware has always been great, and I'm sure that they could release a very well-built netbook.

Lefteous

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
Glossy in MBP and MB is the reason. Many people don't like it and don't buy it. Apple has already found this out and this is why there is a 17 inch MBP with anti-glare "option".

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
8% market share is still a huge achievement. At the end of the 90's it looked as if apple would crumble. But look at it now! its x4 of what it used to be. I mentioned that to one of my friends brothers (who builds windows pc's and is a huge microsoft fanboy) and he was lost for words. I felt like I was in one of the "get a mac" ads lol.

I too think its time for apple to rethink its stance on netbooks. Not everybody wants to pay $2200NZD for a 13" Macbook when they can buy a 10" netbook for $500NZD. I believe a device with a 12" screen like the older iBooks but thinner with the Macbook Air's processor is ideal. If Apple released one of these, i would definitely purchase one for when school starts this year.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I'm waiting for Apple's overpriced notebook lineup to start hurting them. Their notebook pricing scheme is quite elitist in the midst of these troubling economic times. It will hurt them, the question is when.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
I'm waiting for Apple's overpriced notebook lineup to start hurting them. Their notebook pricing scheme is quite elitist in the midst of these troubling economic times. It will hurt them, the question is when.
Im afraid you are probably correct here. I HAD been going to replace my MB as soon as the unibody version came out, but no FW stopped that. I can't afford/justify an MBP, so my White MB will need to last for a while longer.

Especially as I am probably about to lose my job due to the Crunch.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
it doesnt look any different than what has happened in the past during 4Q

did you guys not read this?
Prepare for this thread to grow to many pages of people who didn't read the article... or even look at the picture :eek:

In short: this drop happens every year at the same time. Back-to-school is always Apple's best season, not the holidays. And every year, the annual trend is upward all the same. See the article's graph.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005

Don
everyone's sales is being affected. everyone's market share is not.

apple's latest notebook renewal was clearly turn to worse.

rolandf

macrumors member
May 24, 2005
Back to Reality

It seems that the Intel switch effect is over. Windows 7 around the corner, will definitely make it less attractive to switch to Apple.

The point since the switch is that Apple has become an ordinary PC maker, with absolutely overpriced equipments, and not living up to the quality standards of the PowerPC era.

However. there is room for a 3% market share, based on high-end, high-quality Mac computers, made with a non-Intel processor, but at a price which corresponds roughly to what the actual Apple PCs cost.

The bottom line is that it is
poor sign if the biggest argument to buy a Mac is that it runs Windows. That is not enough for the future.

Let´s sit down again with IBM, because it would be mutually beneficial.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Overpriced? You don't see BMW and Mercedes slashing prices.

There is a solution for the cost-conscious buyer though and it desperately needs updating.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Heh, everyone, did you see the graph? The downturn in the 4th quarter of 2008 was exactly the same as the downturn in the 4th quarter of 2007. It's not the end of Apple growth, it's just more of the same.

The real surprise here is Acer, not Apple.

(Sit down with IBM again? You actually want slower, hotter and more inefficient processors, just because they happen to be PPC processors, not x86? The "better quality" of PPC Macs are imaginary I think... I remember the flaking issues with the PowerBook G4 Titanium's, the logic board issues with the iBook G3's, the hinge issues with the PowerBook G4 aluminum's, the display issues with the said PowerBook G4's, the leaking in the water cooled PowerMac G5's, the excessive noise in the MDD PowerMac G4's, and so on so on.)

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
FW & Small form factor...

Looks like Apple is going to have to rethink its stance on the netbook market. I used to exclusively buy Macs, but the uniqueness of the Mac is now becoming an impediment to productivity and creativity.

For the lack of a suitable computer from Apple and with the advent of Windows 7 and the appeal and price of the new VAIO™ P series, this Mac user is ready to test the waters with Microsoft™ once again.

depulse

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Europe
Where is the computing power?

I'm about to buy a Macbook to complement my iMac when I am on the move. I want something more powerful than my 2006 Fujitsu-Siemens PC laptop and that runs OSX.

But looking at the available offers from other manufacturers, the computing power, the options (or lack there of) Apple seems like a very expensive alternative.

The entry level new unibody Macbook has a CPU with the same speed as my 3 years old laptop (that has firewire, wifi, blue tooth, 4 Gb RAM and a 250 GB harddisk). This laptop was very much middle of the road when I bought it and it still is as powerful as the new Macbook. 3 years old in the computer industry is ancient. OK the buss speed is higher but the performance tests are not showing a great advantage compared to the previous generations.

The case of the Macbook is beautiful, but how much extra premium am I supposed to pay for only this new feature, it feels a bit like the emperors new clothes.

Having music as a hobby, I also will have to trash my Apogee Duet since Apple in their great wisdome decided to remove the firewire interface from the Macbooks (after having spent years preaching that firewire is the professional choice). The old plastic Macbooks have a bad reputation for the cases, which excluded the white MBs.

No wonder sales are going down. I have the cash ready but Apple can't provide a product with similar specifications to other suppliers. No way I am paying even more cash for the MBP, power per dollar it makes even less sense. A few tenths of GHz more for double the price. :eek:

Many other people must be reasoning the same way. Not enough exiting stuff and using too much low-end components. And with ever more powerful netbooks around for 1/4 the price of a Macbook (with no further comparisons) the Macbooks don't look that exiting anymore.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
This is what happens when you only sell expensive (overpriced) computers in a bad economy and let systems like the Mac mini linger without an update. There's more excitement about Hackintosh than Macintosh these days....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.