Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in July began inviting developers to Vision Pro-focused developer labs in cities that include Cupertino, London, Munich, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo, but so far, developers don't appear to be expressing a lot of interest in attending.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Blue-Magenta.jpg

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, the developer labs have been "under-filled with small amounts of developers." One issue is that Apple is not offering U.S. developer labs outside of Cupertino, which means any developer that wants to try the Vision Pro must travel to Apple's headquarters in California.

The Vision Pro developer labs that Apple is hosting are meant to give developers hands-on time with the Vision Pro headset as well as help from Apple engineers as they begin to develop apps for the upcoming device. The labs will provide testing and optimization for visionOS apps, with Apple experts on hand.

Any developer can apply to attend a developer lab, but Apple is not reimbursing for travel, and developers located on the east coast of the United States will have to fund cross-country travel to get to the lab. Apple's choice to host only one U.S. lab location is curious as the company has said that the Vision Pro will be launching first in the United States before becoming available in other countries.

The visionOS simulator has not been available for long, so many developers may still have apps in development and might not be ready to attend a lab. Other developers may not be motivated to create apps when the Vision Pro isn't slated to launch in their countries for some time.

Apple is also planning to send Vision Pro developer kits to some developers, and applications opened two weeks ago. The developer kits are available in limited quantities, with Apple prioritizing apps that best take advantage of the Vision Pro features and capabilities. Apple has strict rules for the developer kits, such as limiting them to one development site and keeping them in a private, secure workspace, which may not be possible for some smaller developers.

Developers will have more than six months to test and develop apps for the Vision Pro as it is not expected to launch until early 2024, a timeline that could range from January 2024 to April 2024, and that's provided there are no launch delays.

Article Link: Apple's Vision Pro Developer Labs Not Drawing Many Attendees

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Ahh. They're not offering labs outside of the one in Cupertino.

Well, US developers only have one city option. No wonder the numbers are low.

I wonder how many people actually read the article on here. Lol. It doesn't seem like many from the responses.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
The aspect of the device costing $3500 may be off-putting in itself.
Plus:

No use-case.
Bad for eyes.
Big and uncomfortable.
Poor Battery Life.

As how the device is presented now. It is useless.

The design team was not behind the release of this product as it is not ready for primetime! Apple marketing pushed out some fake news that all
VPs were suddenly behind the product and never saw this "amazing" AR/VR experience.

From what was presented it was nothing special and the news following some aspects were indeed not finished does not do this product good.

Last edited:
Plus:

No use-case.
Bad for eyes.
Big and uncomfortable.
Poor Battery Life.

As how the device is presented now. It is useless.
Agreed! Tim Cook really thought he can get into people's heads by using a fancy word like, Spatial Computing.

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Vision Pro was super impressive to see at WWDC, but I gotta admit, I've lost all interest since then. I'm rooting for it, but I have no plans or desires to purchase it anytime soon. It kinda says a lot that I've been way more excited for the iPhone 15 Pro, which is rumored to only provide iterative updates over the iPhone 14 Pro, than I am for Vision Pro.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple in July began inviting developers to Vision Pro-focused developer labs in cities that include Cupertino, London, Munich, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo, but so far, developers don't appear to be expressing a lot of interest in attending.

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, the developer labs have been "under-filled with small amounts of developers." One issue is that Apple is not offering U.S. developer labs outside of Cupertino, which means any developer that wants to try the Vision Pro must travel to Apple's headquarters in California.
Are the labs in London, Munich, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo under-filled too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.