Apples Warranty Is Rubbish

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by deanbo, Mar 28, 2010.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

One year! It should be three with the possibility of extending it to five with Applecare. That's what a good warranty looks like!!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm sorry, but i respectively disagree. it's not rubbish at all.

They sell electronics and most only have 1 year warranties and given the amount of use these gadgets and computers go through, I personally feel 1 year is sufficient.

If you want more, buy the Applecare imho.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the standard is 1 year, extending it to 3 years via Apple Care is great.

5. Noisemaker Guest

No. Most electronics warranties are 90 days.

6. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Im with you !!!:D

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Apple warranty is rather good.

Its a bonus in New Zealand because you dont have to squeeze it out of them through the consumer disputes tribunal.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

90 days are all small electronics. 1 year is minimum for all computers (laptop/desktop). Dell, HP and others have extended after that 1 year.

Now Apple should offer more Apple Care time like a 4 and/or 5 year options. I would pay more for AppleCare if they game me more time.

9. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

The what? :confused:

10. Surely Guest

Surely

11. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Back in the olden days -- like 1985 or 1986 -- folks used to say that if the computer lasted past the first 90 days it probably would last forever. Still seems that way ... only computer failures I've had have been right out of the box. I've had no real issues with equipment that's three or four years old.

mt

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you have examples of other computers with this type warranty?

13. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

If you live in the UK, the Sale of Goods Act covers you for up to six year, providing you can prove that the item was treated with care. The act covers you against the retailer, rather than the manufacturer, which usually is still Apple in most cases.

Your laptop or what ever must be fit for purpose, and by this they include sufficiently durable and free from any defects.

If this fails, take the company to a small claims court, and usually you will get what you want, as most cases will be in your favour, if you can show that your still new looking laptop has not left it's position on the desk or been abused, but it still failed.

:)

I believe John Lewis offer 2 years, with an option to extend.

14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Oh a troll .... yippee.

UK gets it right again. Although I have seen the lovely Dixons/Curry's rip people off big time.

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I'm not in the least surprised why the OP has not replied yet. :rolleyes:

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

We had an iBook that experienced a hard drive failure just a month before the AppleCare was to expire.

I was thinking much the same thing. ("that" instead of "why")

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

One year isn't so bad and after that you can get AppleCare.
    I thought this was going to be a thread pointing out the flaws in apple care. For instance, if you scratch/dent your macbook pro, apple can claim you dropped it and void the warranty, even if the problems are totally unrelated to an alleged drop. THAT is dirty.

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

unrelated? Whose opinion?

Not dirty. Just sensible.

But, there should be a way to document damage to the outside so that future internal damage could be covered in some instances. But, not being a hardware engineer, I don't know for sure if that would be reasonable from the manufacturer's perspective.

19. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The problem is that the onus is all on you to prove that it was treated with care.

Currys has just given me my 4th external hard drive replacement in I think about 18 months (I swear I don't know what's happening to them. Only one disk has actually failed, the rest have all been enclosure problems)

Yeah. I'd actually consider buying Applecare if it covered accidental damage. Otherwise I'll just include my computer in my insurance.

I decided today I'm not going to buy a pro 'cause of all the dent stories. They're pretty off putting.

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

For buying a prebuilt system, Apple's warranty is pretty good.

However, if you build your own, you can go with companies like EVGA that will cover you with a lifetime warranty, and it even includes tinkering and overclocking.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't have personal experience with it but I've read a few times of people having really minor dents or scratches and having problems with applecare after that. If I merely scratched my laptop and months later my logic board died, I would be really pissed off if apple tried to wiggle out of fixing it because of that. I think their policies can be a little shady but so can most insurance policies.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple's 1 year coverage is absolutely fine and inline with what is offered by other brands. Where they fall behind is in the "To your door" (i.e. Onsite) coverage. For the high price of AppleCare, you'd think they'd give you a bit more than what they're giving us.

23. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Can you conceive of a really hard fall that causes no outward signs of damage? I can. The next logical step is obvious.

24. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I will say without equivocation that Apple's warranty service is some of the best around, especially with having an Apple Store nearby. Never have I been turned down for service while my venerable Titanium Powerbook was still covered and I have always gotten good repair service. I've had the LCD display, the top and bottom casing (due to the paint problem), the DVD combo drive, and the keyboard replaced on it and only had one issue where they questioned whether I had damaged the LCD, due to the amount of dead pixels that were on it. They did eventually replace it after I told them that I hadn't but that's one issue out of the times that I had taken it in for service. I have to say that it probably cost more to get the computer repaired than the original cost + Applecare so it was absolutely worth it.

As far as warranty length, each computer is going to be different. I would probably say that I've been lucky with my Titanium that it is now going on 8 years old and still works great. Some have probably had their computers die within a year of buying them. I will confess that if I did have the option, I would absolutely go for a 5 year Applecare warranty, but for the service that I got for 3 years, it was worth paying the extra for it.

Not long enough? Maybe. Rubbish? Not a chance.

25. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I know that 1 year is standard in North America, but in the EU the manufacturers require to provide a 2-year guarantee. I have used it on a few items, but not on computers. From what I know though, everything should be covered.