Apple's Warranty Service. How is it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkepongo, Aug 6, 2008.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

So I just dropped off my macbook today at the DHL to be shipped because it had a flickering lcd screen and cracked palm rest. Im really worried if DHL or Apple will mess up and lose my macbook somewhere in the process. Has anyone sent their laptop to warranty before and how was the experience?

Oh, how long does it take to get it back? I currently have no computer to do my work and using a PS3 to go online. :(

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Service is good. However, if you get your computer back and it's broken in any way, contact Apple immediately.

I don't really like DHL. They deliver my packages wrong a lot, but I have good neighbors who will return my stuff.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I haven't sent back a computer, but I have done a number of iPods, and they were always repaired, or replaced quickly and accurately...

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

duuude

Paranoid much? What does DHL do for a living again?

I'm sure you'll be fine. No sense in worrying about it now.

5. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

So guess what happened....DHL LOST MY MACBOOK!!!!

I called them and they said they don't know where it is and will call me back in 24 hours. It was suppose to be shipped to Tennessee but it's somewhere in Ohio.

Then I called Apple and they made a shipping inquiry for me and said will contact me within 48 hours. DAMNIT!!! I HATE DHL!!

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Really, really, sorry to hear that, that has to stink :(

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wow that is really unfortunate...I have never had any problems with DHL and I have been shipping with them for over 4 years. They are by far the best shipping company I have used and when it comes to price, speed, and international, they are simply the best. They will find your package, just relax and be cool. If its lost, you will get a new MacBook from Apple paid for by DHL...

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'm sure you'll get it back soon. I haven' had any problems with apple/dhl

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That sucks, man. Hopefully you made a backup before you sent it in. :confused:

I've never really liked DHL, and doesn't Apple normally use FedEx for all their shipping?

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

no, they use dhl for most/all of their repair services.

they use fedex for sales from the store.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

12. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

Well I bought 4gb of ram from newegg so hopefully they'll compensate me for that if they can't find it. I hope they throw in a free ipod or something since I'm losing alot of time to do my Treasurer work (planning to fire our accountant soon...hehehe).

13. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

it seems like your lucky you're getting the repair at all. I would have put the original ram back in their, although when I called apple support about the same issue they said that they would just give the ram back in a bag outside of the laptop.

@robert.j.strain: So I guess most, not all repairs are sent with dhl.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ok, I've only needed it repaired once, and since everything I ordered comes by FedEx, I put 2 and 2 together.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Nope... Forget about them replacing memory that you purchased separately.

They only warrant the computer as they sold it to you. As far as they are concerned, that is what the computer had.

It is always the smartest move to remove upgrades from a system prior to sending it in for repair. In the case of memory, remove the upgraded RAM and re-install the original factory memory. That is why you don't sell your old parts until the warranty has expired.

In my manual towards the end of the warranty statement, it says: "Apple and its Authorised Service Providers are not liable for any damage to or loss of any programs, data, or other information stored on any media, or any non-Apple product or part not covered by this warranty".

Spelling above is incorrect but as it was in the manual.

And, clearly, any part you purchased later would be "any non-Apple product or part not covered by this warranty"

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I think it also depends on location. I think there are 2 repair centers, 1 in Memphis (Flextronics) and 1 in Texas somewhere. Apple probably uses FedEx for in state repairs so that they can save money by sending it Ground instead of Next Day because either way, its getting there next day. For out of state, they use DHL Next Day. Maybe thats how they do it?

Was the repair a computer or something else?

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It was my MacBook, and it was sent to Memphis according to the paperwork. I'm not complaining or anything, just thought it was odd that they'd use DHL when all my experiences have been FedEx.

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That is weird...maybe just luck of the draw??

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Maybe.

On-topic: OP, let us know when they find it or if they are going to replace it.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least they don't use UPS. :) They've made more mistakes with my deliveries than DHL and FedEx combined. :eek:

21. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

Yeah, I'll tell you what happens when Apple and DHL calls me back about the laptop. I swear, if this takes weeks to process I'm not buying another Mac product again.

22. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Why? It is DHL's problem. Anyway, go buy a Dell if you want and have it delivered through the 7th circle of hell (the factory) by walsh western and then promptly lost....

23. Macabee macrumors newbie

DHL might 'say' they lost it, but that usually isn't true - Tracking can send the paranoid round the twist. The number of times I've been "WTF" with tracking is untrue. Remember it's sometimes horribly wrong - I had one courier admit to me once that the system was completely wrong and the package would arrive soon, and it did :)

Also, if Apple ordered DHL to do the collection and its been collected, it becomes Apple's problem. Sit back, relax. Call Apple in 3 business days and check they got it.

24. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

DHL called me today and still haven't found it. She said she will call me back tomorrow. Ugh....I just want my damn Macbook back. I'm really sick of using PS3 internet browser.

25. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I've got good experiences with the warranty service. I've been offered a repair / replacement without any quiggles when something went wrong.