Apple's Watch-Sized iPod Nano is Officially Obsolete

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The sixth-generation iPod nano is officially obsolete, meaning Apple will no longer repair or service the portable media player.

[​IMG]

Apple added the sixth-generation iPod nano to its internal vintage and obsolete products list on August 30, according to a memo distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers seen by MacRumors.

Apple repairs and services products for up to five years after they are no longer manufactured. The sixth-generation iPod nano was released in September 2010 and discontinued in September 2012.

As required by statute, sixth-generation iPod nano owners in California may still obtain service from Apple Stores or by contacting AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE. The extended coverage period will likely end in September 2019.

The sixth-generation iPod nano was notable for its square-shaped design. A number of third-party straps and accessories were released that essentially turned the device into a very early version of the Apple Watch.

[​IMG]

Unlike the fifth-generation iPod nano, the sixth-generation model lacked a click wheel, video camera, and speaker. Instead, it had a touchscreen and adopted the iPod shuffle's clip to make it wearable on the go.

Apple returned to a rectangular design for the seventh-generation iPod nano, and added a Home button to the device. The design remained the same until Apple discontinued the entire iPod nano and iPod shuffle lineups in July.

Apple has yet to list the sixth-generation iPod nano on its public vintage and obsolete products list, but the device will likely be added soon.

Article Link: Apple's Watch-Sized iPod Nano is Officially Obsolete

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sad to see it go. This was as an excellent little device that was compact and perfect for running.

3. CerebralX macrumors 6502

CerebralX

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
  4. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Such a great little device!! I loved the two finger twist screen to turn it any direction. And I used to remember wearing it on wrist! It's kinda weird seeing the Apple Watch now when that was out so many years ago - truely a device way ahead of its time! Classic Jobs era stuff..

5. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

6. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Mine is still seeing pretty consistent use. I still think it's one of the best iPods to use while on the go; just clip it on and forget about it.

I used mine for a walk just about an hour ago!

IMG_7825.JPG

7. Superhappytree, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I actually think this made for a better watch than the Apple Watch itself and looked much better at that. The clock faces were better and looked more realistic (you know, like watch faces are supposed to rather than flat?). A big example of why skeumorphism is superior:

9A102B36-54EE-469E-8899-7507A337CF52.jpeg

C3ACAD9E-3EAA-4985-9E20-56921333AEA8.png

10DA96BB-C6C4-4C33-B0B7-78F198E2C9A9.jpeg

The gears actually moved in the background with the black and green one on the far right (top pic). We’re missing small touches and attention to detail like that.

8. cube macrumors Pentium

So it was repaired for longer than my MBP 2011. :mad:

9. DisNerd macrumors member

I came sooooooo close to buying one of these right around the time people started talking about Apple Watch.

10. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Probably my favorite iPod. Still use it on a regular basis for sports and in the car.

12. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

I loved this iPod, used it daily before i got an iPhone bigger than 16GB.

13. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

This came out before the apple watch, and the idea of using it as a watch was promoted by Jobs during the unveiling of the ipod. It' wasn't a dumbed down version of anything. It was the progenitor of the apple watch. I mean, sheesh, show some respect!

14. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

The watch prototype is dead. :( Long live the faceless, wrist-free Watch of the future, an IoT appliance with LTE5!

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Vintage. Products become Vintage when they have been discontinued for 5 years, they become Obsolete when discontinued for 7 years. It's not arbitrary, it's not based on how powerful or popular the product was, it has nothing to do with software update availability. I really don't get why this is so difficult for the MacRumors team...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201624
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2017 ---
    Yes, because it was discontinued after your MBP 2011

16. olster118 macrumors newbie

Actually, they're right. Regardless of what the Apple page says thats available to the public, Apple themselves are very much spot on when running internal memos. An internal memo being the source of this info, I'm 100% certain if you took a 6th gen nano into a store today to be repaired, they would tell you its obsolete. If they tell you otherwise, then they should be checking twice. Don't use the forums if you're just going to belittle and bash the guys getting you the information, or other people commenting on the facts.

17. simonmet, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Completely forgot about that little thing. There were so many variants to the Nano design. Apple could never settle on a form-factor it seems.

Now I kind of really want one! Like an iPod shuffle with a screen. Looks really cool.

18. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Apple's website does say that, but the sixth-generation iPod nano is only "vintage" in California due to local statute according to the internal memo.

19. man3ster macrumors member

20. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Personally, that was the worst of all the MP3 players Apple made.

21. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

22. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

The best iPod nano hands down. So useful for running with it's built-in pedometer. Don't need to pair it with an iPhone or anything unlike the Apple watch. Apple should've improved on it, or released a version similar to it, instead of outright kill the Nano. I still have mine and use it on every run. Sad to see Apple's current state...

23. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Landfills scream, "FEED ME APPLE with your green company waste!" :(

24. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

I think the Apple Watch is better (when they roll out watch os 4). Wireless syncing of music is more convenient and so is using wireless headphones.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2017 ---
    You can save music into an Apple Watch so you can listen without your phone.

25. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

An end of another era. It was and still is a great device. I still use mine nearly every day as a watch. Silver with stainless steel band looks and works wonderfully.