Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the first quarter of 2020, Apple's wearables category set a new all-time revenue record, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Apple's wearables earnings category, which includes AirPods and Apple Watch along with accessories like Beats headphones and HomePod, hit $10 billion, up from $7.3 billion in the year-ago quarter.

applewatchalwaysondisplay.jpg

Wearables, Home, and Accessories revenue surpassed Mac revenue for the first time this quarter. Mac revenue was at $7.2 billion in Q1 2020.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Apple could not make enough AirPods and Apple Watch Series 3 devices to meet demand during the quarter, and supplies continue to be low. Cook told Reuters that Apple is "working on both of those very hard."

Apple Watch set a new all-time revenue record during the quarter, and more than 75 percent of new customers during the quarter were new to Apple Watch. Both AirPods and Apple Watch were "must-have holiday gifts," driving growth even as supplies were constrained.

Cook says that Apple's wearables business is now the size of a Fortune 150 company.

Article Link: Apple's Wearables Category Sets All-Time Revenue Record in Q1 2020, Surpassing Mac for the First Time

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The AirPods sell themselves, but the Apple Watch at first I think wasn’t really understood what its purpose was back in April 2015 when it launched, aside from being extension of your iPhone. But now with Apple leading the way with health measurements/data, I think consumers are seeing the advantages with things like EKG, fall detection, it is calibrations, etc. The Apple Watch is a great device as a ’wrist computer’, but it’s a Health features that are continuing to allow it to expand beyond what it once was.

Plus, the Apple Watch and AirPods work in tandem with each other, which makes it the perfect combination if you stream your music from your Apple Watch directly to your AirPods.

Reactions: xDKP
Comment

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Wearables are now producing more revenue per quarter than all of Apple did pre iPhone.

The wearables are accessible by all types of people. I'm seeing both old and young people wearing it. The adoption rate is arguably pretty fast considering Apple is marketing it as a health benefit.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

LeeW

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Apple is heading full steam towards the general consumer's needs, iPhone, iPad, Pods, Watch. That is where the money and service sales are at. iMac? Meh, not such a focus for them anymore, the MBP is probably more relevant.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wearables are now producing more revenue per quarter than all of Apple did pre iPhone.

mans I’ve said countless times before ... like Apple envisioned The Navigator which become the iPad Pro ... the AppleWatch(with some form of AR Glasses) will replace the iPhone as THE man portable computing device ! Siri will revolve or be replaced but with voice and sign/gesture based input/commands/confirmation or pre-set actions, and visual retina tracking for acuity, intended focus use or entry points for voice to speech day input ... it’ll happen in our lifetimes.

Comment

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Amazing to think that 20 years ago, essentially 100% of Apple's revenue was from Mac. (Plus accessories, services as tiny amounts.)

15 years ago their revenue was 50% Mac, 50% iPod.

10 years ago their revenue was 43% iPhone, 23% Mac, 7% iPod.

5 years ago their revenue was 63% iPhone, 13% Mac, 8% iPad, 10% services, 5% "other" (which included iPod, watch, accessories, etc - basically the "Wearables, Home, Accessories" category that just passed Mac.)

Although, amazingly, even though Mac is making up a *FAR* smaller percent of Apple's revenue - the actual amount they're selling is way up! In Q4 2000 they sold 1.1 million Macs (half iMacs) for a Mac revenue of $1.6 billion. In Q4 2019, they sold 4.7 million Macs, for revenue of $7 billion.

While it's a pretty safe bet that without the iPod, iPhone, etc, Apple wouldn't have had the same computer sales growth, even if they *ONLY* sold Macs, they'd still be about 4x better off than 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Comment

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
When the apple watch first came out, there were many reported issues with janky/incorrect measurements on people that had arm hair. For those users that have Robin-Williams type arm hair, can you comment on if it has improved? There's no way I'm going to shave my wrist for a watch.

Comment

Rojaaemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
The Apple Watch is such a fun device and extremely useful and can have longevity for a couple of years. Anyone who doesn’t have one yet should check it out
That's cool, and I'm a happy stockowner. I'm also happy that Apple replaced my Walkman, my camera, my calculator, my radio, etc, and finally my iPod (and my watch!) with a $800 smart phone. But I simply don't like the design. It looks... girly. [Note: this is my subjective opinion and everyone is entitled to their own equally valid opinion.]

Reactions: akidokraja
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm disappointed by the declining percentage of Mac revenue, since it's the product that I depend on most.

I think of the headline as Apple's Mac Category Sets Record in Q1 2020, Failing Against Wearables for the First Time.

Comment

SSDGUY

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Apple is heading full steam towards the general consumer's needs, iPhone, iPad, Pods, Watch. That is where the money and service sales are at. iMac? Meh, not such a focus for them anymore, the MBP is probably more relevant.

Hopefully for people who make their living using Mac computers, Apple will manage to multi-focus and innovate in the computer realm.

Reactions: LeeW
Comment

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
That's cool, and I'm a happy stockowner. I'm also happy that Apple replaced my Walkman, my camera, my calculator, my radio, etc, and finally my iPod (and my watch!) with a $800 smart phone. But I simply don't like the design. It looks... girly. [Note: this is my subjective opinion and everyone is entitled to their own equally valid opinion.]
Changing bands will make a big difference in that.

Reactions: xDKP and mannyvel
Comment

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I got a S5 for Christmas. It looks cool. I like seeing my heart rate every once in a while. It's easier to find out the time (opposed to pulling my phone out of my pocket, which entails the risk of dropping it). Other than that I'm kind of struggling with the justification of keeping it. I still haven't gotten all my music onto it (Don't ask). My MacBook Pro though, I use it constantly and if I had to give up all electronic devices save one, I'd keep the MBP.

AirPods now, those are handy. I don't actually own a pair, opting instead for the better sounding Sennheiser version, but they are a more useful item than the watch, so far, for me, YMMV.

Reactions: WannaGoMac
Comment

olduser007

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2017
Yes Apples makes more money on Airpods that last until the warranty end. (which is 2 years, I know Americans think they're only worthy of 1 year.), and way overpriced Macs with unnecessary fully soldered motherboards just to gain more profits but actually creating more waste on the planet.

Ow how weird that Apple is loosing ground with real computers. Lol

Guess what Apple... I just upgraded my MBP 17" with Catalina... look closely and you'll see my big finger instead of my wallet.

Come back with unsoldered RAM, Storage, Battery etc and offer your Mac Mini at 500,-, MacBook's at 1000,- MacBook Pro's and iMacs at 1500,-, Mac Pro's at 2000,- and maybe I'll consider you're greedy brand again.

Comment

gsurf123

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2017
Yes Apples makes more money on Airpods that last until the warranty end. (which is 2 years, I know Americans think they're only worthy of 1 year.), and way overpriced Macs with unnecessary fully soldered motherboards just to gain more profits but actually creating more waste on the planet.

Ow how weird that Apple is loosing ground with real computers. Lol

Guess what Apple... I just upgraded my MBP 17" with Catalina... look closely and you'll see my big finger instead of my wallet.

Come back with unsoldered RAM, Storage, Battery etc and offer your Mac Mini at 500,-, MacBook's at 1000,- MacBook Pro's and iMacs at 1500,-, Mac Pro's at 2000,- and maybe I'll consider you're greedy brand again.

You are waiting for something that is never, ever going to happen. People who want to upgrade the innards of their computers represent .00000000000000001% of computer buyers. You are not in their target market. As for electronic waste related to computers Apple's not the problem as their products last for years and then are sold and used by another person. Your 17" MBP proves that. Try using a 5 year old notebook from any of the PC manufacturers.

Reactions: windowsblowsass
Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
The Apple Watch is such a fun device and extremely useful and can have longevity for a couple of years. Anyone who doesn’t have one yet should check it out

Really? The watch for me was stupid. Just one more thing to charge every day -- its not stressful for me to reach into my pocket for my phone. But I'm clearly the minority on this nowadays...

I suspect most of the boost was Airpod Pros, those things are flying off the shelves.

Reactions: jimi78
Comment

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I have wanted to like this product since day one, but I still can't get over the square form factor. Why won't they make other watch models or at least change the shape of it? The iphone didn't stay the same shape over its lifetime. Why isn't apple approaching this product w/ the same intent? Oh well...until then I will keep rockin my Suunto.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
.... So the Mac now will take one step backwards in the priority line.

Comment

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
When the apple watch first came out, there were many reported issues with janky/incorrect measurements on people that had arm hair. For those users that have Robin-Williams type arm hair, can you comment on if it has improved? There's no way I'm going to shave my wrist for a watch.

I am Robin Williamsesque. Every so often, it has issues reading my heart rate properly, but it usually corrects within a second or two. And respositioning the watch on my wrist even a slight bit usually fixes it if it happens longer than a second or two. The vast majority of the time, it just works™.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.