Apple's Wearables Unit Sees 75% Growth Year-Over-Year in 4Q 2017

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's financial earnings results for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2017 were announced today, and on the subsequent call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said revenue from the company's wearables unit was up 75% during the quarter compared to Q4 2016.

Apple's wearables business for all of fiscal 2017 was the size of a Fortune 400 company. "Apple Watch is the best-selling and most loved smart watch in the world," Cook said during the call.

[​IMG]

In 4Q 2017, the Apple Watch saw unit growth of 50 percent for the third consecutive quarter thanks to strong sales of the Apple Watch Series 3. "Customers love the freedom of Apple Watch Series 3 cellular," said Cook.

Apple does not break out Apple Watch sales, instead lumping the device into its "Other Products" category that includes Apple TV, Beats products, iPod touch, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories.

In 4Q 2017, the "Other Products" category brought in $3.23 billion, up from $2.37 billion in the year-ago quarter, a year-over-year revenue increase in 36%.

Article Link: Apple's Wearables Unit Sees 75% Growth Year-Over-Year in 4Q 2017

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Apple Watch is incredible. I feel naked when I'm not wearing mine.

I'm really thrilled to hear sales are growing and more people are unlocking the potential of this little computer on their wrist.

4. iPhone_X macrumors member

iPhone_X

I'm hoping for a redesign next year. Maybe a model with a bigger display. The problem is the battery life on my Series 0 is becoming painful. I can live with it being slower, but not dying on me. If the rumors start to point to no redesign next year, I may end up buying the non-LTE sports model to get me through until 2019. But I like how the stainless steel matches my iPhone X.

5. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Replace the battery. It’s cheap.

6. Bako-MacAddict, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I’m truly enjoying my first Apple Watch (Series 3 SS) I’ve always been active, however, recently I’ve been pushing my ass to burn 1015 calories daily. I’m on a 16 day streak so far, I don’t plan to stop! It’s a challenge, but it’s getting done !

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Buy the S3. It easily gets me through 2.5 days and charges in under an hour. You can wear it constantly (showering, swimming, doing dishes, getting dirty, etc.) and not worry about it. Siri is instant and therefore actually useful. It’s my favorite Apple device yet.

8. apolloa macrumors G4

So have they released the actual sales figures this time, or are we again just supposed to take them at there word on this?? Like all the other times...

9. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Redesign for the series 4 also a glucose Monitor and I’m sold

10. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Battery life short, good news, you are most likely a very active person. :)

11. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

What you did there. I see it. Do you?o_O:D

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Freudian for sure. Lol.

13. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

14. JMO1 macrumors newbie

15. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Amazing device - and sales have a lot of potential in all the countries where S3 in steel isn’t even for sale.

We could buy all versions pre-S3 here in Denmark but after the update we are only able to buy sports versions.

I would have upgraded to the S3 but because of this I might skip this one and go for the S4

16. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I just did this! I traded in my SS series 0 for an alumninum series 3 (no LTE). I can’t belive the difference between the speed. Everything launches and responds instantaneously with series 3. Changing tracks or unlocking my HomeKit lock are instant. I am very happy with my decision. And the best part is that the bands still work with the new watch. I was having terrible battery life also. Wasn’t even getting me through the day. After an entire day with series 3 I put it on the charger with 80% left

17. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Incredible device. I didn’t wear a watch for years. But this thing is super well designed.

18. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

The Apple Watch is growing on me, but still no rush on my end. If I get one it'll be purely for the convenience. At this point I'll probably wait for the series 4 so I can get a great deal on the fast series 3.

19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It's such an odd product, with no particular "killer app". I suppose it's very similar to the iphone in a way -- we originally thought they were phones with a handy browser and music player, but they turned out to be so many other things on the side.

I use my watch for a number of minor things equally: Siri for reminders and timers and adding to shared shopping lists, Apple Pay and Reminders whenever I'm out, seeing who's calling and who's texted me, unlocking my Mac, tweaking the music and TV volume, heart rate monitor, loyalty cards, and of course calendar reminders and checking the time. There are plenty more things, although I don't really use the fitness much if at all. Others no doubt use many other features, but I find that each single thing doesn't seem particularly important to me but the combination of all the things it does makes it absolutely indispensable. I miss it terribly when it goes through one of those multi-hour upgrades. I'm still on a series 0, no issues with it at all.

Also, I've started to notice a dramatic increase in their use. Last year I would hardly ever see anyone with one, and paying by watch at a store was usually greeted with surprise. Recently all sorts of people from nurses at the hospital to checkout operators seem to have them, and they are no longer a surprise. I'm almost at the stage when I'm surprised if someone is wearing a non-Apple watch.

20. xxxda1xxx macrumors member

xxxda1xxx

i sold my apple watch cuz everytime i wear it my hands gets tingle & after it gets numb.. i hope tim cook can fix this problem not only me but to others whos having this kind of problem so that we can use it also...

21. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

over a 1000 calories? That's a lot what exactly are you doing so I can avoid it.
    I'm weight training so I don't wish to burn calories.

What is the the majority source of your calories / day that you feel the need to burn that much?

22. Bako-MacAddict, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I’m eating
    Two miles in the morning, then I lift about 30 mins to an hour. Repeat at night, I’m been losing a lot of fat, I’m starting to see vains in my abdomen I’ve sever seen before,lol, I love it I eat about five small healthy meals a day.

Picture on the left was from last December, right picture was 1st of November of this year, yesterday. My before and after picture :)

Attached Files:

23. GabrielMoro macrumors member

GabrielMoro

Insane! I'm finally getting an Apple Watch this year with the Series 3. Happy for them. :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    Weight training is actually the best way to burn calories. When you build up muscles they tend to burn more calories, and the exercise itself is perfect for burning too. :p

24. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

Series 3 is finally acceptably functional. No surprise.

25. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

What is with apple not releasing sales numbers for the watch? They keep on touting that its #1 but what does that mean?