Application used by Genius Bar to pull info about iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rmb7984, Jan 30, 2009.

1. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I was at the Genius Bar yesterday having my 3G swapped out for a new one because of numerous dropped calls and dust under my screen. I couldn't help but notice the really cool application that the Geniuses had on their macs that pulled stats from my phone. THis included dropped call percent and a number of other things that I couldn't see in detail.

I'm curious, does anyone know the name of this application? I tried to take note of it, but the name has escaped me. Also, I've searched the forums and the internets, but can't seem to find any helpful info.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You couldn't go back and take a sneak look for us all, could you? ;)

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It's probably an internal Apple software, so we will probably never get ur hands on it, but one can hope!

I don't know what it's called though, but your not the first one posting about it.

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I wonder if it can see whether or not your iPhone has been previously modified? Jailbroken/Unlocked for example. I doubt it though :p

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

It's special Apple software - it reports how many times apps have crashed etc. and if all the hardware is working properly.

I've had a couple of iPhone switched and the guy showed me on one because it said there wasn't enough data to produce statistics (as I'd erased it the night before) - it will probably report if the phone is currently using modified software, but it didn't say that mine had been before.

6. rmb7984 thread starter macrumors regular

rmb7984

When I was at the Genius bar, I asked the Genius if the software was "Apple Only." To which he replied "yes." Apparently the customer beside me asked his Genius the same question at the same time. His Genius also indicated that only they had the software, but then stated that he had a copy of it on his home computer. I guess that gave me hope that it was in the wild somewhere! It would be very cool to have a copy of this! Thanks for the input guys!

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No. If you've restored it to stock firmware, there is no software that can detect that it was previously jailbroken/unlocked.

8. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I'm sure if you ask him the name of it you'll be able to download off line as a few of those geniuses will have uploaded it on a torrent site, just need to find the name of it first.

9. dgoss macrumors regular

just saw this

Darn, didn't remember the name of the application. Just saw this, he showed me screen and there seemed to be a lot of data. Based on seeing my phone's "modem" (radio?) has been resetting a lot lately got me an exchange on my troublesome model that hasn't stayed on the network as well as I think it should have (would go from 5 bars/3g to no service after 10 minutes in same spot, for example).

Using this as a bump, does anyone recall the name of this app? Would love to search for a copy floating around out there...

10. nemacman macrumors newbie

Try typing this in as if you were dialing a phone #

*3001#12345#*

Does that look like the same info that they had at the Apple Store?

11. dgoss macrumors regular

That all looks like live radio statistics, this was a mac application so it had this time based bar graph showing dropped calls and resets, crashes (I think) over the last week or more. I didn't see him dig down a lot into the data but the screen I saw was all historical data. Who knows what can be set back or tweaked (if anything) or if it's just a dump of this info (I am assuming this is the type of thing sent back to Apple if you opt into sending them diagnostic data when syncing phone first time on iTunes).

12. dgoss macrumors regular

Thanks, that was definitely it. My memory stinks.

13. rmb7984 thread starter macrumors regular

rmb7984

That's awesome. Thanks for the bump dgoss, and thanks for the info sparkyms. Now if i can just find it . . .

14. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

anyone have any luck finding this software? if so PM me :)

i can not find a trace of "Behavior Scan" anywhere on the web. i would have thought it would have leaked out.

thanks

15. skadood1 macrumors newbie

Cant find 'Behavior Scan' even yet...

I have looked left and right on torrent sites, forums, etc. The download is nowhere to be found.

Apple does an impressive job and keeping their secrets in-house. Seriously, are employees that afraid to leak it, that they think they will get fired? This program would benefit users like us, who like to manage their own support and issues.

If I got it and saw not problems, I would be less likely to take it into the store and harrass them.

Anyone have Behavior Scan? PM me or write in here.

16. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

17. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Plus even if you get your hands on this app, you have to log in via the AppleConnection (or whatever it is called, not the iTunes or Apple Support AppleID) user ID to even use the application.

18. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

so true....i doubt it will get leaked......there are probably rules from allowing people who work at the retail store bring in the personal laptops.....and that software is most likely tied to any apple server or something..........

19. Macintosh.Ninja macrumors newbie

got it, it was left on my computer

first off, if u have it, it tracks ur IP im almost certain(LS), second, even if u scramble/ block/ hide/ whatev ur IP, then last post is 100% correct= on Apple server. You have to have an Employee ID/ Password. They did good on that...

[​IMG]

20. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You do know you can get all that info yourself, right? The app is just a fancy interface that reads the log files in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice.

Dropped call logs: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/YouriPhoneName/Baseband/

Example:

Code:
    Date=2010-01-29;AP=7D11;BB=05.11.07;Model=N88AP;Machine=iPhone2,1
    18:05:53 -0500 ST [clm] disconnect: duration=0;cause=kNoUserResponding;ceer=19;txPower=-8;maxTxPower=24;txPowerLimitType=1;rat=2
    That'll give you the baseband version, signal strength, reason for disconnection, call duration, etc.

The disconnect reasons are fairly easy to decipher:
    error_list[0]="kNoError"
    error_list[1]="kUserBusy"
    error_list[2]="kNoNetworkService"
    error_list[3]="kNoUserResponding"
    error_list[4]="kProtocolErrorUnspecified"
    error_list[5]="kTemporaryFailure"
    error_list[6]="kUnassignedNumber"
    error_list[7]="kUnknownError"

21. melman101 macrumors 68030

I just wish they would release the battery check so we could tell if we need to bring it in or not.

22. chandler5719 macrumors newbie

Look

i was there to today in the tampa International mall in tampa,Fl and i saw it for the 1st time ever it is called AppleCare OS Support - Alliance you can buy But................ its $ 50,000 no lie look it up it is pretty cool but not going to buy anytime soon !!!!! but pretty damn cool it tells you everything that could ever go wrong and tell you what to do to fix

23. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Torrent? :p

I didn't realize they would sell these but I guess there are large companies that deploy iPhones to their staff and need onsite support.

24. Apples02171 macrumors newbie

Website

Well the website you can find behaviour scan is at iosdiags.apple.com
    the website you phone accesses when you submit the data is
    diags:// (Followed by the numbers provided by iosdiags.apple.com)
    I hope this helps someone in someway Cheers!