Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezsobre

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
My computer recently started refusing to go into fullscreen mode in any of my applications. I have noticed this behavior in browsers (with video), video apps (zoom, facetime), with my virtual machines (e.g. vmware horizon), and with mac games (for example crusader kings 3). Until this behavior started these programs would run normally, and operate in full screen, but now the following happens: with vmware and crusader kings 3, the application attempts to enter full screen and then reverts to windowed mode. The option to enter full screen is greyed out in the menu. For videos embedded in a browser (e.g. youtube) i click the button on the video to enter full screen, and the app attempts to do so and reverts immediately to the small screen. In zoom and facetime the option to enter fullscreen is greyed out in the menu. This seems to be consistent behavior across a variety of apps so appears to be a system issue rather than an app-specific issue. Anyone encounter this?

I am running a 2018 macbook pro 15" retina display on high sierra (10.13.6) updated to the latest version. This is driving me nuts--any help much appreciated!

ezsobre

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
It appears the answer is related to the Dock. This solved the problem, in case anyone else stumbles upon this in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.