Applications Crashing in 10.7.2

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MrDelux, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MrDelux macrumors newbie

Ever since I have updated to 10.7.2 I have seen nothing but problems.

My Mail, Outlook and Safari all seem to crash upon launching in addition to my internet dropping randomly through WIFI (it will stop loading pages until I restart the App). I have noticed when I restart my computer these applications will work for a short time before becoming unresponsive.

I have done a reinstall of the OS by hitting command R and installing a fresh copy of lion and it didnt seem to do anything for me.

Anybody else having these issues? This is a new 2011 MBP.

2. timian macrumors newbie

Same problems here

Mail.app, App Store, Outlook and Safari all hang and/or crash after upgrading to 10.7.2. Safari works fine for the first few minutes, but then it just starts spinning the wheel, unresponsive and unable to connect.

Firefox, iTunes and Spotify run without problems, so I'm at a loss for an obvious explanation. Or solution, for that matter.

Booting into Safe Mode makes no difference.

(I'm on an early 2009 iMac)

This does not seem to be a very common issue, but if anyone in here more in the know could point to a solution, it would be much appreciated.

3. MacLDN macrumors member

Yep Safari is unusable I have switched to Firefox. If you run FileVault 2 with 10.7.2 forget it, the system freezes every few seconds!

4. evilblob macrumors member

Also on a 2011 MBP, 10.7.2 has been nothing but trouble for me. I'm redownloading, but I'm not expecting it to help much.

5. mpowell89 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with Safari. Most of the time it just won't open, but sometimes it opens but then won't load any webpages, although Firefox, Mail etc work fine.

Haven't tried anything to fix it yet.

I'm on a 2009 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz.

6. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Still having freezes with Chrome, iTunes, and Finder. 10.7.2 seems no better than 10.7.1.

Late 2009 iMac
    12GB ram
    3.06 Core 2 Duo

7. Neil McRae macrumors regular

+1 have had wifi issues and outlook constantly beach balls....

8. deosaa7 macrumors member

Same here! so glad to know I am not alone, will reference this thread when I call Apple and ask if they have people working on this. Seriously?! I am a recent mac user and my POS asus netbook that I bought for $200 2 years ago is still zippy and never has issues with basic applications like Mail and Web Browsers I feel it is kind of sad that I cant use Apple's own standard software (Mail, Safari) on OSX and have to resort to Firefox

9. MrDelux thread starter macrumors newbie

I have found that when I ran Outlook messenger, that is what caused the problems. So it is possible that something or some function in it causes everything to crash.

10. zulumonk macrumors member

Issues with 10.7.2

Im having similar issues. Safari, Mail, Chrome, and iTunes are all acting weird. Mail and Safari are completely unresponsive. Chrome will load some pages and hangs on others. iTunes will play music but is unable to connect to the iTunes store and freezes when I attempt I quit it. The only browser that appears to still function is Firefox. I'm hoping that Apple fixes this soon, considering that the reason that I purchase a Mac was to avoid these kinds of problems.

11. iBug2 macrumors 68040

You need to make sure that it's not about your specific setup.

I don't remember a single Safari crash since I started using Lion, even when it was beta. I get Safari freezes when I open 100+ tabs but it still doesn't crash, and the freeze is over when I close all tabs.

I think Mail crashed once in 4 month usage, can't recall any other Apple apps crashing. So I recommend a clean install first and then see what happens for a while.

Also make sure you copy all crash reports and send them to Apple's bug reporter.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

13. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

With Steve Job's life force gone, Lion lost its roar.

14. wpotere, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

wpotere Guest

Looks like they introduced a few new problems. :rolleyes:

On top of the original problems that I had (kernel panics, memory issues etc) I now have my bluetooth mouse (that was working) is no longer connecting. Just to test the mouse, I connected it to my PC just fine.

Great job Apple! :(

15. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

iTunes seems to crash on 10.7.2. iTunes work perfectly except for when I try to go to the preferences, and then it crashes, every time I try to open it.

16. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Any specific part of preferences or it just goes awol when you start looking at preferences?

Working for me just fine on 10.7.2 ...

17. Zipski macrumors newbie

18. Paul Graham macrumors regular

Paul Graham

Not the same issues as op or other posters,

However I am getting apps crash, Namely Text Edit, Preview, & Gimp.
    Then theres a few other weird things...

iTunes keeps asking me to read and agree with the terms and conditions before it starts up. Every time.???

Every now and again I get a message when shutting down, Saying I need to push the power button on the back to restart the mac???

And wallpapers...

It seems to keep resetting back to my Razer Wallpaper I used about a week ago...
    It keeps forgetting the wallpaper folders I add in System preferences > Display options > wallpaper.

All very strange.

Anyone having any similar issues to these or indeed, Does anyone know what Im missing or if there's a fix?

19. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

It starts going awol instantly. EVERYTHING works BUT the preferences, I either click on preferences, or the shortcut keys, and it'll freeze up, then crash

20. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

+1
    There's most probably one piece of 3rd party software not playing nice with the new build. Disable everything that is not absolutely necessary to run the computer.

21. fcools macrumors newbie

10.7.2 upgrade and all settings lost

Hello, I upgraded to 10.7.2 and all my email settings, all contacts and agenda content is lost!! I was a happy mobile-me user since years. Could this have to do with icloud pushing empty data to my Mac?? Am trying to restore from a backup now. Real pain in the ass. My wife's iphone upgraded tot OS5 (windows PC) and all her contacts were gone...

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

No issues with 10.7.2 on an iMac 24" and an MBP 13".

23. aitkenb1z macrumors newbie

Running on a 2011 MBP that I bought in August, 2.7 GHz i7, 4 GB ram, came with lion installed. The only programs I've added are Firefox, Thunderbird, windows live messenger for mac, and skype. I've updated to 10.7.2 but I'm still having nothing but problems. Netflix runs extremely slow and glitchy, using 40-60 % of CPU, messenger for mac uses 60-80 % of CPU causing everything else to creep to a halt, ichat same thing. Thunderbird occasionally uses 30-40 % of CPU. Firefox and safari run fine, as long as I'm not on netflix. Strangely, I can't enter my password on some sites. I've attempted to fix the netflix issue by uninstalling silverlight and reinstalling the newest version from the silverlight website but it's not a bit better. Restarting the computer provides momentary reliefe from these problems but between 5 and 30 min in, it's right back to crap.

Currently I'm working from a PC, as I'm in the middle of writing my dissertation. I bought this computer to make the transition to mac after graduation but this is the most unstable OS I have ever used...truly worse than vista. I'm considering selling it at a loss and buying a new PC.

24. eternalife macrumors regular

Why don't you take it in and have them check it out. There are known issues with Lion but your case sounds extreme and rare. It certainly isn't the norm. I'm sure they can fix it.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Wow I never had any problems with Safari..it loads and runs fast…I guess I am very lucky one :)