ApplyPay never seems to be an option

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagdagdag234, Nov 7, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Then I went to Panera Bread, and I was psyched. They're on the apple pay list...

No dice. They aren't set up for it yet. The guy looked at me like I was crazy to ask -- "nooo, we don't have THAT yet."

I doubt this is what Apple had in mind.

2. uchosen macrumors 6502

Been about 18 days since release. It's gonna be slow. ;)

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Well these places are franchises, are they not? Much like McD's. Don't expect it all at once.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You didn't make the mistake of asking "Do you take Apple Pay?" and took their word for it, did you?

Was this Panera Bread location listed in the MasterCard Nearby app?

5. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Got to use it at Sprouts today. The cashier was excited to see it in action. The bagger was bummed that he missed it, it happened so quickly.

The CC terminal showed the apple pay logo, so I tried it out. Was quick and easy.

6. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Will the cashier be excited when someone uses google wallet to pay for their items?

7. shadowarachh macrumors member

my brother's small auto accessory shop just had their CC terminal replaced last week and even it has it even though it wasn't expected or discussed with the service provider. you'd think that the bigger places would be more up to date.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Quite possibly. The two times I've had a cashier take an interest it was more about paying with the phone than it was which phone.

9. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

A lot of chain retail shops aren't allowed to touch their technology until the company's technology team swings by and gets them up to compliance. This can take weeks in busy/understaffed settings.

10. jsd79 macrumors member

Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 has only worked 1/3 times I've tried it. Failed at both McDonalds and Subway (both times the phone screen said "hold closer to reader," when I had the phone physically touching the reader!). Success at my local Panera, but only on certain registers equipped for Apple Pay. Hopefully the success rate (even at official partner chains) will improve as they update their hardware.

11. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

I had the opposite experience at my local Subway. I eat there twice a week and ApplePay worked perfectly every time I used it. The cashiers are always impressed by it.

12. tl01 macrumors 65816

I used it three times yesterday... At whole foods, walgreens, and one other small store. It always works brilliantly! So quick and easy. I love it. I will say that I do have to purposefully pick places that have it. Clearly it isn't widespread yet but I figure that the more I use it and the more I don't shop where they don't have it... The better chance it has to grow. CVS sent me an email yesterday telling me to come in for my flu shot and get a coupon for shopping... So I shot off a quick e mail reminding them that I don't shop there since they don't have Apple Pay and that I got my flu shot yesterday morning at Walgreens and picked up a few needed items there.

13. JayLenochiniMac, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sounds like you have defective NFC. Get it checked out. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1812628

14. tritron macrumors regular

I can even signup for apple pay. None of my banks are on board with appple pay. American express did not work for me.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you have a bank-issued Amex card, your bank has to support it in order for it to work. Otherwise, any Amex cards issued directly from Amex will work.

16. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Did you ask if they had NFC? Because that will work just as well. Stop asking if they have Apple Pay, because you are just confusing them.

17. Cdre macrumors newbie

I've caught myself wondering "where can I use Apple Pay next?" I've used it at Wholefoods and Walgreens so far, and the transaction has been smooth as butter. Especially at Walgreens where you pretty much have to write an essay on their PoS machine when paying with a card.

"Be well!" the cashier says, as I walk out with beer, pizza and a bag of chips...

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is gonna take some time for card readers to be updated, staff to be informed, etc. It is less than a month old, be patient.

19. Sonofjorel76 macrumors newbie

I don't know what's up with that.... I've been using Apple pay at Panera since the Oct. 20 release date. Ive used it at least 10 times since then

20. Paco II macrumors 65816

I'm fortunate to live in the San Francisco / Bay Area where newer technologies like NFC are more widely adopted. Used Apple Pay three times yesterday (Peets coffee, Walgreens, Macy's). I'm hooked :)

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think the biggest mistake with apple pay is consumers using the term apple pay when checking out

22. Paco II macrumors 65816

Agreed. My approach if I see an NFC reader is to have my iphone hanging out near it. If the phone lights up I try it. So far so good. Not worth even mentioning Apple Pay until you've successfully paid :)

23. tritron macrumors regular

DId you ever used softcard or google wallet ?

24. Paco II macrumors 65816

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While many terminals have the NFC continually on, some terminals require NFC to be activated from the cashier's pressing "credit." I make it a point to say "Credit" or "I'd like to pay with credit" upfront to be on the safe side.

But, yes, it's best to refrain from mentioning Apple Pay as that does more harm than good.