Appropriate or Nosy: What Do You Do For a Living?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hexonxonx, Dec 14, 2011.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

As the title asks, do you feel that the question people tend to ask upon meeting for the first time appropriate or just being nosy? I've been at funerals in the past and have been asked the question as well as by someone at a store who I likely never expected to see or never saw again.

I think it's just a plain rude question especially by someone that I've just met.

Anyone feel the same way? Am I wrong?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think asking my credit score is more nosy. ;)
    I don't know though, I am not incredibly bothered when people ask what I do. When I give the answer I am vague about it, with good reason though.

3. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Appropriate and decent conversation-starter. Sometimes on airplanes/trains (other places where you're forced to interact with others) as well.

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

True. I did post in that thread and was extremely honest with answers there.

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I don't think it is being nosy at all.

Unless you're at something specific — say a Mac conference for instance — you need some clue to get a conversation started and after the weather this is an easy (albeit lazy) way.

When people act all hot and bothered about such an inocuous question then they can bugger off. :)

Besides, asking you what you do is the least of it. Wait till a stranger asks you "and how much do you earn?" Yes that has happened a few times.

6. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

That question sometimes follows so I understand how you feel. I like what I do and it pays my bills and my mortgage.

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I actually think it's a great question. It allows you to quickly know a little bit about the person you're conversing with. I think it's no different than asking someone where they're from (here in FL that's a mandatory question, since most of us migrated from another place).

Me, personally, I love the question when asked to me. Then again, I'm a dancer and choreographer, so I just happen to love attention. :p

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oooh.
    ASSASSIN!

9. MultiM, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I don't mind the question. I'm usually pretty vague with my answer, though. I like to know what other people do so I can find some common ground for further discussion.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Agreed. I don't think it's being nosy at all. If you do the same thing they do then it's a nice little ice breaker between you two. On the other hand, if you do something that's the complete opposite, or goes against, what they do then it's a downer for sure. Either way, that simple little question can make for some entertaining conversations :)

11. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm a student. That'll be my occupation for the next ~6.5 years! However as a teenager I worked at a few typical teenager places (Subway, QuikTrip, Best Buy.)

I started a more "serious" job at the beginning of 2011, where I work with a child with special needs and am essentially like a "big brother" but my job is to provide them with a fun, enjoyable, educational (life skill building) experience a few times a week. It pays pretty well for someone my age, and it is rewarding in more ways than fiscally. I think my official title is "healthcare service provider."

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

So why are you so sensitive about the question then? Are you embarassed by what you do?

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think it's good. Gives you a good bit of info about a person in most cases. Doesn't bother me when asked.

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm an electrical/electronics tech in the printing industry. Been doing it since 1982. I'll be retiring in a couple of years.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Hi, I'm Ian. What's your name?"

"WHAT?!?!? F--- off, pervert."

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I don't see a big deal about it, since it's usually just something to break the ice in a conversation. It's about like comments about the weather to me. One good thing about being in IT is that most people not in the business will zone out when I tell them that and move on to something else. If someone tries to pry into salary or something like, I usually respond with sarcasm. "I make untold millions. I swim in a vault full of cash. I light cigars with $100 bills."

17. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

It's an interesting discussion. I imagine most of us won't be offended as our occupation defines who we are to a fair degree. But I wonder why someone would take offense for being asked what they do for a living...

With my job, when I try to be vague, it results in a lot of incorrect assumptions. When I give details, I just confuse people.

As far as someone asking for my pay, my response is it is public record. If you want to know, look it up.

18. concernedone macrumors 6502

concernedone

Not nosy at all. It's a great convo starter. Some people have some really interesting occupation.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Once the formalities of introductions are done, it is not rude or nosy to inquire about someone's occupation.

However, I would change your thread title to "Is it Appropriate or Nosy To Ask Someone What They Do For A Living," Your title seems to ask the reader to tell about his/her occupation (as someone above did), and we have threads on that already.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I am a high school English and Computer Applications teacher. This week we are having parties and getting stuffed on food from various parents.

Right now, it's not quite paying the bills. I'm a single dad with two kids.

Pay sucks but the hours are tremendous.

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't see it as rude, but it usually results in either a ton of questions, or a barrage of b****ing about my industry. If I'm in a hurry or otherwise not in a position/mood to talk at length, it can be annoying.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You must be in the film biz. :)

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Appropriate or Nosy: What Do You Do For a Living?

I'm inappropriate and nosy, but I do it for fun. :)

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

No, he flies around the world wearing a leather helmet, goggles, and a scarf. I'm not sure if he routinely engages the Red Baron, though.