Apps which completely justify your iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by drmacjazz, Aug 21, 2010.

1. drmacjazz macrumors newbie

I'm a jazz guitarist. I host a weekly jazz jam. The app iRealBook completely justifies owning the iPad for me. I've used my iPad for my last 3 jams/gigs and it works great. The wonderful thing about iRealBook is it's ability to transpose the chord charts into other keys INSTANTANEOUSLY!!!

All the other apps, games, books, videos, etc are just gravy for me. If they never upgrade the ipad or create any new apps, i'd still be happy. I used to lug a 10lb binder and the charts were static of course, no instantaneous transposing.

Any other apps that are this much of a game changer? Surely symphony orchestras will be moving en masse to the ipad?

2. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

3. eq2675 macrumors regular

Wyse Pocket Cloud for me. I do server support and with the iPad 3G and Pocket Cloud I can fix server issues on the road.

4. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Safari, mail, iTunes store, in a tight little package. Pages, keynote, iDisk, air sharing, print and share, kindle.

Why not get a lap top? 'cause I don't need one: I've got a 27" iMac and a Mac pro.

Why not just use an iPhone? The screen is just too small for prolonged use.

6. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Hulu Plus & WSJ.

Though I can't say they 'justify my ipad.' Truth is, I bought it because I'm one of those 'gotta have it' kind of guys, but I don't really find much use for it...

7. pier macrumors 6502

pier

Well of course Safari, Gmail, and all the web apps you can imagine (social media, rss, chats, skype).

I can go and have a meeting with it and take notes, organize dates, search info, draw graphs, show designs... without having to carry a laptop.

iCal synchronized to my other 3 ical on other computers via google calendar.
    Sorted for creating to do lists
    LiteNotes for writing quick ideas on the go
    Maps and gps for travelling, or some other offline map app (there are versions for any major city in the world)

In the music studio
    Touch OSC for controlling any aspect of digital music production from the ipad. With that and some good weighted keys I cover all my midi controlling needs.
    Karajan for ear training

At home
    Any VNC app for controlling my desktop from the couch (start/stop the media server, start/stop the torrents, etc)
    There are hundreds of apps for the kitchen

Man I could go on and on... I'm really integrating the ipad in a lot of my life's aspects. Working, hobbies, entertainment, communication... and I had it only for a week!

8. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I'd say Netflix. But I don't really need a reason to justify my purchase of this device.

9. Maziar macrumors 6502

10. FlashHead macrumors regular

TakeNotes.

A simple app that let's you mark up PDFs and other documents. Highlight, scribble, add text notes, etc.

I'm a director/choreographer and being able to make notations on scripts and scores, diagrams for traffic patterns in choreography, etc., has let me carry one device instead of several several books and notebooks.

Walking around and easily sharing photos and video with prop, costume and set departments doesn't suck either. Make that my MacBook that I don't have lug around anymore either.

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    TWITPad,Bento,Epicurious, Netflix, Flight Track Pro, Flipboard, StarWalk,Layers,
    Browser,DVP Remote,PULSE News,TWC MAX,NPR,Masque, and Dock Clock.;)

LOVE my iPad!:cool:

12. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

GoodReader. I use almost nothing else on the device.

Personally, I find iBooks and the relatively weak resolution of text on the iPad to be a terrible excuse for an eReader application when compared to my Kindle or Nook. And the iWork series of apps are pretty much a joke.

14. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

And not a very funny one. Try quickoffice instead, it's pretty good.

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Evernote (on the iPad it is pure genius)
    OmniFocus
    iBooks
    Kindle

Movies
    Safari

16. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

iPad is way too small of a screen to show a full symphonic music score. Even for us individual players I think it just isn't big enough to show enough music at one time. There are few, if any, orchestras that could afford even just an iPad for everyone anyway (50+ people.) Harry Connick, Jr. has a patent on and uses digital music on Apple laptops for his group and I recently saw John Graham (violist) do a recital using a Macbook Pro as his music and using foot controls to change pages. I think digital music is useful and slightly cost-effective for film music which needs to be re-orchestrated quickly and then wouldn't need page turns digitally removed. I played piano off an iPad and it works but I wouldn't want to play Mahler's 5th viola part off it, and it needs some kind of foot control to change pages quickly when continuously playing. Apple make me a 15" iPad!

17. p-rice macrumors regular

18. olisones macrumors regular

GoodReader - I FTP into my OS X Server to grab files. Shame it doesn't support AFP yet. Or does it?!

Kindle - I've read more books in the past 2 months then I have in 2 years. So easy and much cheaper than iBooks!

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

ForScore and iRealBook - both music aids I use on gigs several times a week. Plus they never fail to attract a crowd.

iBooks - well, it's obvious!

Edit: Great to see another jazzer on here (the OP) - we must be part of a new wave of iJazz Players…!

20. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

21. felt. macrumors 6502a

22. iThinman macrumors regular

Cydia

Without it and the doors it opens, the iPad would not be a productivity tool I would recommend, although still a great consumption device.

23. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Hahahahahhaha! This.

24. edoras macrumors regular

25. drmacjazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a Blue tooth page turner. It also allows you to display and advance/repeat by HALF pages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWJuJPGeeI