AppStore and iPhone Firmware v2.0 Today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scooterman1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Apple Stores Closed! AppStore and iPhone Firmware v2.0 Today? - Eric - 09:40:43

If it remains unclear why the Apple Stores are closed already for 2 hours, one can speculate that Apple needs to prepare everything to get the AppStore up and running in couple of hours, as well as releasing the Firmware v2 and having ready the new Mobile.Me service. Some rumors indicate that Apple could launch the iPhone Firmware v2 as well as the AppStore today.

Altogether quite some work, without forgetting that it might also include some new products or revision of existing models. One can imagine that several iPhone 3G-dedicated peripherals will have to be entered in the Apple Store.

[update]
    All Apple Stores are back online, and nothing mew is obviously visible... probably the final test before the official launch of AppStore, Firmware v2.0 and Mobile.Me in couple of hours.

SOURCE: http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-07-08/#8551

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Seeing as we've been told that they will come out on the 11th, I don't see why this warranted another thread on when they're not coming out.

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

As much as I would love to have my hands on the 2.0 firmware and the AppStore I don't believe it'll be available until Friday.

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

5. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Actually, that is NOT true. MobileMe will launch tomorrow.... NOT the 11th. (According to Apple). It's been posted here on the main page. And the belief is that 7.7 and 2.0 will be released by the 10th for the New Zealand sale of 3G.

6. Badgerguy macrumors member

One possible scenario will be that the new firmware will be available at the same time the iPhone 3G goes on sale. The iTunes 7.7 software (which is required for iPhone 2.0 syncing) - will probably debut at the same time too.

It's going to be one busy day for everyone involved on Friday - cross everything for a smooth worldwide launch!

--
    BG

7. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Yawnnnn this thread again

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Where did he say MobileMe? You're saying AppStore and Firmware, which we've been told is on Friday.

9. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

its just his sad attempt to make this thread valid!

10. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

That's why you consider yourself a Demi-God.

11. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Huh?!?!?! that made no sense!

12. bjquach macrumors 6502

A lot of things need to released a day early since some places are getting the phone on the 10th instead of the 11th. So, mobileme and the appstore needs to be released early along with itunes 7.7 for the early people to use. For the 2.0 firmware, I dunno. Since the original iphone didn't have as many countries supporting it, I would assume it would be released on July 11th.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Well going on this support article it is possible we will see 2.0 on Thursday (not today or tomorrow).

14. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

I think the simple point he was trying to make was Apple originally said mobileme and 2.0 would launch on 7/11, but Mobileme is launching tomorrow...could that mean 2.0 could launch tomorrow?

15. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well to use mobile me...you need itunes 7.7 and 2.0

so it has to come out soon

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Let's go on what Apple says ;)

As part of the MobileMe launch, www.mac.com will be taken offline at 6pm PT on Wednesday, July 9th.
    If Apple wants to accommodate the first iPhone customers in New Zealand with MobileMe from launch, it needs to be up before Thursday July 10th, 5am Pacific July 10th.

Again, you'd expect if Apple wants it ready for the Kiwis, that iTunes 7.7 would be released before this time as it is required for the iPhone 3G. Otherwise, what's the point queuing early to get to a New Zealand store, if you can't use it via iTunes or MobileMe??

As for the App Store, let's just bindy predict the same time eh? Show us your pics and videos Kiwi's! (some 3G iPhone qik.com live streaming would be great!)

17. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you dont need itunes 7.7 or 2.0 to use mobile me in general, but to use it on the phone you do. so apple could just not care if we have mobile me on our original iphones for a few days between when mm comes out and the new iphone is released although i would like to see us get all 3 (mm, 2.0, and 7.7 tomorrow), that would be tight

18. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Not Entirely True! You can use Mobileme with out iTunes 7.7 and 2.0... But only on the computer through the browser... You do need iTunes 7.7 and 2.0 to use it on the iPhone however.

19. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Yes, the only point. NONE of the words in the Post #1 are mine until 'SOURCE:'

But so many are ready to shoot the messenger. I just thought that maybe some hadn't evaluated or read ALL of the articles that have been posted on this site, or some of the posted quoted links (including me).

20. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Here's something to think about.

What if Apple want to make the launch of the iPhone 3G extra special for new customers? - not catching my drift? - I'll explain.

Apple could easily supply iPhone 3G units on Friday, with the Software 2.0 pre-installed - we know this is going to happen, thats a given.

Existing iPhone owners don't 'need' that software upgrade on Friday. Sure it'd be nice for ya, but it's not 'needed'.

Apple could simply delay the launch of 2.0 for existing iPhone customers until sometime next week, and give their servers less to cope with, at the same time.

2.0 would be out on new iPhone 3G devices, and Apple could open the App Store if it wanted, on Friday.

R-Fly

21. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

want something else to think about. what happens when apple does this and steve jobs mysteriously dies and there happens to be a knife hidden under my bed

22. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I can go in to Vodafone Store at 00:01am on the 11th here in New Zealand which is 8am in NY or 5 am in LA on the 10th, and am told that I can go home and sync it with iTunes with the new firmware straight away (for some reason they are not doing in-store activation here in NZ).

Given the on-line Apple Store in not hosted her in NZ but on a server with the others they will need to do some adjustments before 00.00am 10th Jul in the US>

23. Scooterman1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

But you also have to take into account:
    The pre-installed 2.0 on 3G iPhones is now an old version of 2.0.
    There has been several Beta versions to developers since the manufacturers made the iPhones, installed the ver. of 2.0 they had at that time, and shipped them for distribution. Considering this, the 3G users will want to update the version via iTunes at some point. It may not me necessary right away, but to have all the features and bugs out, they will want to at some point.

24. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

oooo new zealand. awesome. north or south island?

25. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

iPhone OS 2.0 went GM (Gold Master) roughly about 3 weeks now.

iPhone 3G will ship with 2.0 GM.

R-Fly