AppStore Tethering App!!! (again...)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apocolipse, Jan 30, 2012.

1. apocolipse macrumors newbie

2. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Let see how long Apple need to remove it ... and I believe the developer will get some (unfriendly ?) reminder on the submission rules with respect to such Easter eggs.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The reviews for that thing are horrible.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I downloaded it, it actually does work (to my surprise). Yes the app will crash every now and then, but it seems stable when you just leave it be. Seems to keep the iPhone awake automatically too. Tested on an iPhone 4 and a Mac Mini with Mac OS X 10.6.8. :)

You just have to be exact when typing in your iPhone's server name into OS X. Don't include ftp:// and just don't make any typos and it should work. I had to quit the app and restart it and quit Safari on the Mac a few times, but now it's okay.

5. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

just downloaded it, ill have to try it when I'm in an area with actual 3g coverage. $1.99 was worth at least a shot

6. yubbie2 macrumors newbie

any confirmation on whether it works with an ipad? ie: use an iphone's 3g but surf on the ipad? the video on youtube shows how to setup using a mac, but not sure if it's possible on an ipad.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I bought it and so far can't figure out how to use it with my iPad, though I haven't tried real hard. On the surface it was not obvious to me though.

8. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

9. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Does take a few steps to setup and seems to be finicky at times, but works pretty well. When I say finicky, I mean I often get a notification popup that states "There is no Wifi Connection. Please connect to Wifi." within the app when I try to turn on the FTP server. I'm needing to turn FTP server off and on about 3-4 times for it to not give an error and then I'm able to access the web on my laptop. Anyone else experiencing similar thing?

Also, I'm not at home for me to try this but do we need to turn the HTTP and SOCKS proxies off when we're connecting to our normal home wifi network? If so, it's just a couple extra steps each time I'm on the road and want to use Quasidisk to tether. Not too big of a deal for what we're getting out of it, though.

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Nice find OP!

Kudos to the Developer for sneaking this tethering easter egg past Apple :D

11. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

+1
    Did anyone try tethering with an iPad?

12. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I don't have my ipad with me to try but I'm doubtful this will work with the ipad, only because I don't think an adhoc network can be created on the ipad for the iphone to connect to.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Awesome thanks!

I use to have a developer build of iProxy but when I upgraded to the 4S I lost that. THen when iTether came out I jumped onto that ship right away, but missed the wireless-ness of the tethering. This brings it back! Not like a tether a lot, literally once in a blue moon, but its nice to have the option just incase.

14. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Can't seem to get this working. Doing exactly as the video shows but no internet. The app keeps crashing too. Ug.

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

This is where AT&T misses the boat. I jumped on this as well and got it working. Yes, I do get "Not connected to a wireless network." a few times but finally got it working.

If AT&T would release something that had similar functionality, where it limits the speed or whatever for the download rate we would all pay a one time fee for it. This isn't for those who tether a lot or need full access for everything but lets the people who need it once in a while tether.

I need tethering a few times a year; often when I have a big project in a critical phase and also want to attend my kids soccer games. I need to log in, get some emails, maybe look up a few things and that's it. This is PERFECT for that, I use a few megabytes to, maybe a few hundred. Give us that ability and we'll be happy. I don't need full-time tethering.

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You do realize you can add and delete the native tethering from your phone anytime you want right? My girl does it every other month, when she goes away for work. She regularly adds the 4gb w/ tethering, then back down to 2gb when she doesn't need it.

17. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

The problem with that is that if you are on the unlimited plan, you won't get that back.

I understand what you're saying and if you're on the 2/3GB plan its a great idea. but for those of us grandfathered in, not so much.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Jumped on it. Not going to miss it like I did with the other apps.

Tested out and it worked without issue.

Don't plan on using and abusing it. If I'm without net and net to pull up something on a page other than an iPhone I now have a solution.

Could've used this saturday when I needed to save a statement.

19. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

1. I have to give up my unlimited plan.
    2. Often I don't know I need it until, well, I need it. Then I only need it for an hour or so.
    3. Heck, if I could do this automatically without having to deal with them to turn it on and off, I'd be happy that way. If I go in and turn on tethering, my 30 days starts. After 30 days it is automatically ended I don't get billed again unless I turn it on again.

20. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I also finally got it working for some sites. Some do not work. Google Chrome also doesn't work, only safari. No idea why on that one.

21. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I haven't found anywhere that it didn't work. Also, I tested it with Chrome, so it can work with it.

22. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Well, chrome refuses completely to work. Safari does, so no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you know maybe why?

----------

Okay, got Chrome to somewhat work. Had to reset some things, but can't get to google.com which is weird.

23. Dallious macrumors member

It works fine , went on every site I tried to go on. Using it on a MBP, anyone try using on Win 7?

24. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

On verizon you don't need to give up the unlimited plan to add tethering or change types of plan I believe.

I added tethering after being "grandfathered in" and I more recently (2 months ago) upgraded to unlimited corporate data plan and was told that I could move back to the unlimited regular plan by calling into the main customer service at a later time since I was moving from unlimited to unlimited.

You just can't go from the limited to unlimited ASAIK.

Of course a quick call or chat on the verizon webpage will confirm this.

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

what is the best app to tether for people who have a jailbroken iPhone?