Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AppStore Tethering App!!! (again...)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Let see how long Apple need to remove it ... and I believe the developer will get some (unfriendly ?) reminder on the submission rules with respect to such Easter eggs.

Comment

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The reviews for that thing are horrible.

Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I downloaded it, it actually does work (to my surprise). Yes the app will crash every now and then, but it seems stable when you just leave it be. Seems to keep the iPhone awake automatically too. Tested on an iPhone 4 and a Mac Mini with Mac OS X 10.6.8. :)

You just have to be exact when typing in your iPhone's server name into OS X. Don't include ftp:// and just don't make any typos and it should work. I had to quit the app and restart it and quit Safari on the Mac a few times, but now it's okay.

Comment

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
just downloaded it, ill have to try it when I'm in an area with actual 3g coverage. $1.99 was worth at least a shot

Comment

yubbie2

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
any confirmation on whether it works with an ipad? ie: use an iphone's 3g but surf on the ipad? the video on youtube shows how to setup using a mac, but not sure if it's possible on an ipad.

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I bought it and so far can't figure out how to use it with my iPad, though I haven't tried real hard. On the surface it was not obvious to me though.

Comment

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Does take a few steps to setup and seems to be finicky at times, but works pretty well. When I say finicky, I mean I often get a notification popup that states "There is no Wifi Connection. Please connect to Wifi." within the app when I try to turn on the FTP server. I'm needing to turn FTP server off and on about 3-4 times for it to not give an error and then I'm able to access the web on my laptop. Anyone else experiencing similar thing?

Also, I'm not at home for me to try this but do we need to turn the HTTP and SOCKS proxies off when we're connecting to our normal home wifi network? If so, it's just a couple extra steps each time I'm on the road and want to use Quasidisk to tether. Not too big of a deal for what we're getting out of it, though.

Comment

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Nice find OP!

Kudos to the Developer for sneaking this tethering easter egg past Apple :D

Comment

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't have my ipad with me to try but I'm doubtful this will work with the ipad, only because I don't think an adhoc network can be created on the ipad for the iphone to connect to.

Comment

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Awesome thanks!

I use to have a developer build of iProxy but when I upgraded to the 4S I lost that. THen when iTether came out I jumped onto that ship right away, but missed the wireless-ness of the tethering. This brings it back! Not like a tether a lot, literally once in a blue moon, but its nice to have the option just incase.

Comment

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Can't seem to get this working. Doing exactly as the video shows but no internet. The app keeps crashing too. Ug.

Comment

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
This is where AT&T misses the boat. I jumped on this as well and got it working. Yes, I do get "Not connected to a wireless network." a few times but finally got it working.

If AT&T would release something that had similar functionality, where it limits the speed or whatever for the download rate we would all pay a one time fee for it. This isn't for those who tether a lot or need full access for everything but lets the people who need it once in a while tether.

I need tethering a few times a year; often when I have a big project in a critical phase and also want to attend my kids soccer games. I need to log in, get some emails, maybe look up a few things and that's it. This is PERFECT for that, I use a few megabytes to, maybe a few hundred. Give us that ability and we'll be happy. I don't need full-time tethering.

Comment

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I need tethering a few times a year; often when I have a big project in a critical phase and also want to attend my kids soccer games. I need to log in, get some emails, maybe look up a few things and that's it. This is PERFECT for that, I use a few megabytes to, maybe a few hundred. Give us that ability and we'll be happy. I don't need full-time tethering.

You do realize you can add and delete the native tethering from your phone anytime you want right? My girl does it every other month, when she goes away for work. She regularly adds the 4gb w/ tethering, then back down to 2gb when she doesn't need it.

Comment

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
You do realize you can add and delete the native tethering from your phone anytime you want right? My girl does it every other month, when she goes away for work. She regularly adds the 4gb w/ tethering, then back down to 2gb when she doesn't need it.

The problem with that is that if you are on the unlimited plan, you won't get that back.

I understand what you're saying and if you're on the 2/3GB plan its a great idea. but for those of us grandfathered in, not so much.

Comment

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Jumped on it. Not going to miss it like I did with the other apps.

Tested out and it worked without issue.

Don't plan on using and abusing it. If I'm without net and net to pull up something on a page other than an iPhone I now have a solution.

Could've used this saturday when I needed to save a statement.

Comment

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal

1. I have to give up my unlimited plan.
2. Often I don't know I need it until, well, I need it. Then I only need it for an hour or so.
3. Heck, if I could do this automatically without having to deal with them to turn it on and off, I'd be happy that way. If I go in and turn on tethering, my 30 days starts. After 30 days it is automatically ended I don't get billed again unless I turn it on again.

Comment

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
This is where AT&T misses the boat. I jumped on this as well and got it working. Yes, I do get "Not connected to a wireless network." a few times but finally got it working.

If AT&T would release something that had similar functionality, where it limits the speed or whatever for the download rate we would all pay a one time fee for it. This isn't for those who tether a lot or need full access for everything but lets the people who need it once in a while tether.

I also finally got it working for some sites. Some do not work. Google Chrome also doesn't work, only safari. No idea why on that one.

Comment

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
I also finally got it working for some sites. Some do not work. Google Chrome also doesn't work, only safari. No idea why on that one.

I haven't found anywhere that it didn't work. Also, I tested it with Chrome, so it can work with it.

Comment

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I haven't found anywhere that it didn't work. Also, I tested it with Chrome, so it can work with it.

Well, chrome refuses completely to work. Safari does, so no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you know maybe why?

----------

Well, chrome refuses completely to work. Safari does, so no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you know maybe why?

Okay, got Chrome to somewhat work. Had to reset some things, but can't get to google.com which is weird.

Comment

Dallious

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
It works fine , went on every site I tried to go on. Using it on a MBP, anyone try using on Win 7?

Comment

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
On verizon you don't need to give up the unlimited plan to add tethering or change types of plan I believe.

I added tethering after being "grandfathered in" and I more recently (2 months ago) upgraded to unlimited corporate data plan and was told that I could move back to the unlimited regular plan by calling into the main customer service at a later time since I was moving from unlimited to unlimited.

You just can't go from the limited to unlimited ASAIK.

Of course a quick call or chat on the verizon webpage will confirm this.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.