Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vtprinz, Apr 1, 2005.
Have we been April Fooled or can we still hope for an announcement before day's end?
I think it's safe to say Tiger will be a no show today.
Don't be so hasty. I'd wait for another hour before declaring the April 1 announcement rumor a bust. This advice is based on Apple's past history announcing things at 9 AM PT (GMT minus 8 hours - convert to your local time zone as appropriate).
Seems like Apple's announcements always happen around 9AM Pacific or 5PM Eastern. So I'd give it another hour, but I'm losing hope. And it certainly wouldn't make sense to wait for the closing bell on Wall Street on a Friday...that's guaranteeing a low level of media attention.
I've seen elsewhere that it's always at 7am PT. I guess I'll wait another hour and see
Only 8:11 a.m in Cupertino so give it a chance, i still believe a date will be announced today for 10th-15th April
If anyone remembers, I made a comment in another thread about Apple releasing products on Fridays. It will never happen. There is no point in releasing a product on a Friday because you loose all of the free press over the weekend.
I'm on the April 15th train.
45 minutes now...
Its early morning in Cupertino, while its way past working time for some of use..
Tiger won't be announced today. I already explained in another thread that it?' simply too late for most of the world. Even tough Apple is US-based, they also sell their products outside the States. It's now 6.15 PM in central Europe and late night/early morning in Asia. Since it's a Friday, it doesn't make sense to make an announcement at this time. Apple want to get as much attention as possible. Since non-Mac addicts won't learn about Tiger before Monday, they won't get that kind of attention. So we have to wait a few more days for the announcement.
Maybe this is part of the mole hunt at Apple.
Anyway, if the news of Gold Master is true, wouldn't the 15th still be a reasonable available-for-purchase date?
I'm going with April 5th. Seems to me like they always announce stuff on Tuesdays.
Tiger has had plenty of publicity, it has been talked about loads for over a year now, when it was announced at WWDC 2004.
Apple don't have to make sure the rest of the world will be aware for when a release date is confirmed for mid-april that very second. Only think us Mac fans really care for a release date and when it is officially released again only Mac fans will care, if you ask what OSX is to 90% of people they won't have a clue, and those who do will know a lot about it.
So it doesn't really matter when Apple announce a release date, people who know about it will find out tomorrow or even tonight. It is just a release date after all, i just want to preorder it.
first of all, no one is saying it will be released today, just announced, with release later in the month.
Second of all, april 15th is also a friday, so what's your point?
Hmm...so given the 1 April date came from Thinksecret and Apple are desperate to find out the TS source, do you think the finger of suspicion is now pointing at a subset of Apple employees who were told 1 April?
too simple that one but might work though
Would be a dirty trick.
Interesting but ridiculous, TS has a variety of sources within Apple who would have all confirmed the release date - referring to their original artical there was no rumoured in there, it was "Apple will"
I still think that before it is Saturday and the 2nd April in Cupertino that a Tiger date would have been announced.
But why haven't they done so already? It's now 9.30 am in Cupertino and everyone is up and running. Nothing is happening today, period.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not bent about no Tiger today. I guess it's because I'm looking to buy the next PowerMac upgrade and Tiger will (most likely) be on it.
I'm tired of software/iPod news and want to hear some hardware news - GOOD news, not the "still can't get the G5 past 2.55GHz thanks to some crazy Motorola glitch found in the IBM chip..."
If Apple did declare Tiger "gold master" yesterday they can still ship it off to the manufacturing plants today and make the announcement of pre-order taking next week.
In fact, Apple probably did think of making the announcement on it's 29th birthday but decided for the best press coverage they should hold off until monday or tuesday. They can still have copies of Tiger pressed and ready to go on sale April 15th.
(they just get a couple extra days of uninformed people buying Panther-based macs without hope of getting the $20 upgrade to Tiger)
where's the tiger?
i don't think 'we' should be overly concerned about no tiger today.
1) isn't there an event -nab- next week? and wwdc in june?
2)what's the rush?
hitting the stores with tiger a few days earlier, rather than later, has few tangible advantages, compared to the damage that a BAD early and rushed release could bring.
apple has the lead when it comes to operating systems and is currently benefitting from tremendous good press for the whole brand. more than anything apple needs to ensure that this is maintained. even if this means releasing tiger a little later than is actually possible.
a parallel for example in sports would be in running, or sailing. when you are leading, winning is achieved by maintaining the lead. this is done by studying the opposition and staying ahead. taking risks is foolhardy and uneccessary and often results in costly mistakes and ultimately losing.
should a premature and faulted version of tiger be released, tiger would be given a bad reputation and stigmatized from the first. this would not merely be calamatous for tiger, but would jeapordize apple's leading position as an innovator and a premium-quality brand.
no tiger no cry.
Probably just info planted by Apple to smoke out the 'leakers'. Look for another lawsuit next week Maybe it will be announced on Monday or at the NAB conference. All I know is it is on it's way - final candidate and all.
Apparently Apple has already declared Gold Master on build 8A428 of Tiger, so it should already be in duplication meaning that pushing back the shipping date would just mean more time that they spend in duplication and distribution, and not working on it anymore (at least not on the initial release, maybe on a 10.4.1 update that is likely to be out about a month after it hits the shelves).
The rumors were that it would be announced today and ship sometime around the 15th. They still have a couple weeks to announce it and maintain that shipping deadline.
I'm sure Apple has it all under control.