Apspyr Game Agent

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MacUniversity, Aug 10, 2008.

1. MacUniversity macrumors newbie

I just downloaded this game agent to see which games my macbook can handle(2.4Ghz 160 GB HD Intel X3100)and it told I couldn't handle any games and I mean even games from 2001 like halo. I think this program is horrible I downloaded Age of Empires 3 which says I cant play it and I can play it on the highest settings. What do you guys think of this crappy program?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Yeah, the program doesn't really do much except pull up your computer's specs. It doesn't give an accurate assessment of your computer's capabilities. The reason it says you can't run anything is because of your intel graphics chip. Apparently, none of the games support it, which is a load of crap.

If your other specs are at or above the recommended level, you should be able to play the games. Especially at a macbook's resolution or lower.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

If by that you mean a) an Intel processor, as they were made as PPC apps, that's no issue due to Rosetta or b) an Intel graphics chip, that's also not an issue since anything not on the Intel chip can be emulated.

Although, even a top of the line computer with integrated graphics won't run games very well (yet, see Larrabee :D).

5. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Aspyr seems to have a thing for not officially supporting a lot of graphics cards in many of their games - this includes integrated graphics in most games, as well as many gpus that were more than adequate power-wise. Their official stance on Civ 4 when asked about why there were problems with the Nvidia MBPs for months after that model was released was simply that the 8600 was an unsupported graphics card.

So, I think it basically comes down to the fact that it'll probably work fine, but since Aspyr won't help you or give you any useful support if it doesn't, all they can do is tell you it won't work.

6. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I think Aspyr only remains in business because they are one of the few horses in the Mac stable. I think EA should buy them out. Their practices would fit in with a company like EA really well (that isn't a compliment) :p

7. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Much as some of Aspyr's ports (or lack of ports) sometimes frustrate me, it would be a very bad day for Mac gaming if they were bought out by a company like EA that barely pays any attention to the Mac. Aspyr's certainly had their share of problems, but the fact that they're one of the few horses in the Mac stable that has stuck around is only a reason to support them.

Now, with that said, give me Beyond the Sword for Mac, damnit. :D

8. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Yeah, Aspyr has a reputation for... well, nothing positive. Especially in these forums.

MacSoft is much better.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although far from perfect, I prefer to encourage Asypr to keep plugging away at new Mac games and address the critiques. :)

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

There would be no reason for anyone to buy Aspyr if they weren't interested in putting out some Mac games.