Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
FEAR is the number one weapon the govt has to use against the people. FEAR WEED,FEAR GAYS,FEAR MUSLIMS,FEAR SADDAM,FEAR,FEAR ,FEAR,. Bush & his legion of republican draft dodgers want us to fear everything so the police state can move forward while empowering the corporations and removing any Liberty or Freedom we have left. Thats why.

Well those who play Civilization would say that Fascism is the best form of government, so it ain't so bad :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm not surprised that the law enforcement authorities in Boston were extra-cautious.

Does any remember the psychology behind a booby-trap bomb? During the 1980's, the Soviet military would drop booby-trapped dolls and other toys near villages in Afghanistan; many Afghani children were seriously hurt or killed from these "toys." The devices we saw today could have easily hidden several ounces of PETN plastique explosive, and when that goes off it could kill or seriously hurt someone or cause a surprising amount of damage.

Terrorists could accomplish far more with a booby trapped car, so should we report any unaccompanied cars? Should they be blown up?

Where do you draw the line?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Okay, this is getting even crazier. They've actually started arresting people:

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- Authorities have arrested two men in connection with electronic light boards depicting a middle-finger-waving moon man that triggered repeated bomb scares around Boston on Wednesday and prompted the closure of bridges and a stretch of the Charles River.

Meanwhile, police and prosecutors vented their anger at Turner Broadcasting Inc., the parent company of CNN, which said the battery-operated light boards were aimed at promoting the late-night Adult Swim cartoon "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Boston officials condemned Turner for not taking proper steps to end the bomb scares earlier and for not issuing an adequate apology to the city.

Turner Broadcasting said in written statements the devices had been placed around Boston and nine other cities in recent weeks as part of a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote the show.

"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," Phil Kent, CEO and chairman of Turner Broadcasting System Inc., said in one of two statements issued by the company.

"As soon as we realized that an element of the campaign was being mistaken for something potentially dangerous, appropriate law enforcement officials were notified and through federal law enforcement channels, we identified the specific locations of the advertisements in all 10 cities in which they are posted. We also directed the third-party marketing firm who posted the advertisements to take them down immediately."

Peter Berdovsky, 27, a freelance video artist from Arlington, Massachusetts, and Sean Stevens, 28, were facing charges of placing a hoax device in a way that results in panic, as well as one count of disorderly conduct, said Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. The hoax charge is a felony, she said. Both men were arrested Wednesday evening.

According to his Web site, Berdovsky is a graduate of the Massachusetts College of Art and a founding member of a video artists group called Glitch who goes by the nickname "Zebbler" and sings in a band called "Superfiction."

Authorities believe Berdovsky was "in the employ of other individuals" as part of the marketing campaign, Coakley said. "How exactly this was executed, we are still investigating." Berdovsky is scheduled for arraignment at 9 a.m. Thursday in Charlestown District Court.
CNN

I agree this was an idiotic stunt, but...felony charges?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Cartoon Network has been running an apology in between Adult Swim shows for the last couple of hours. <snip> At least they didn't trample anyone's civil rights, just being way too overly cautious in the name of public safety. Or the perception thereof.
I guess you're right. But it doesn't make it any less frustrating for those who were impacted by the road blocks, I'm sure. :p

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Sorry but I'm a bit staggered here.

An artist is paid to openly put up some video art, seemingly without breaking any laws, and he gets arrested and charged with felony charges.

Bush sends thousands of your soldiers to their deaths, piddles the US budget away on his war machine, abolishes habeas corpus, operates secret prisons and spies illegally on you, and nobody does anything?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Looks like the terrorist have allready won when we Fear everything. Because of this fear that BushCo has been so good at selling we have them
spying on Americans,picking up people and shipping them to other countries,holding people with no trials for years now,getting us into a 400 billion dollar war with over 3,000 of our soldiers dead, and now shutting down a city for some advertising signs. Yeah I feel real safe:rolleyes: I felt safer before the govt got started on its false war. Fear has won big time. We need a new president who can follow these words... There is nothing to fear except Fear itself.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Looks like the terrorist have allready one when we Fear everything....

... and now shutting down a city for some advertising signs.

Laugh at it :) Print out some posters of this one-fingered alien guy and put them up in your window, or at the bus stop, or glue it down onto the sidewalk and make a call to the police...

How long before the T-shirt comes out?

"I stopped the City of Boston. Swivel on that!"

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think Im going to wrap my house in plastic just in case. Feeling safer now. I would feel safer if they would just secure our borders and stop letting in these knuckleheads but old George doesnt see that as a option. Same goes with Iraq/Iran. They think open Borders is a policy.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Not quite, but almost. ;)

Yikes! Capitalism sure moves fast when it wants to :)

According to a rather horrified Fox, the artist also put a video of himself putting up the pieces on his website.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249241,00.html

Dang, what a dastardly thing to do! Certain proof that his aims were nefarious!

http://www.zebbler.com/ is his personal website but I couldn't find the video. Maybe FOX meant a different website.

According to Zebler, he's also a Mac user, - dang! am gonna report all you Mac terrorists to the police and FBI instamunte.

And myself too, just to be on the safe side.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
FEAR is the number one weapon the govt has to use against the people. FEAR WEED,FEAR GAYS,FEAR MUSLIMS,FEAR SADDAM,FEAR,FEAR ,FEAR,. Bush & his legion of republican draft dodgers want us to fear everything so the police state can move forward while empowering the corporations and removing any Liberty or Freedom we have left. Thats why.

Yes, spot on.

Sparxtribal

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
Athf Rulez!

MacNut said:
For those that are arguing why everyone is on edge, Usually is you see something suspcious you report it. The fact that nobody knew what that was proves 1, that the publicity worked but not in the way intended if nobody knew what the boxes were, and 2, if a person sees something that looks like a box with electronics there is a good chance they will call the police.

:eek: hides ipod

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I agree entirely with Dont Hurt Me. We've been trained to fear everything around us. Bush has ****ed up America worse than anyone thought possible. And incidentally, if the bomb squad can't tell the difference between a bomb and a circuit borad with LEDs on it, then I'm sure how much confidence I'd have in the bomb squad.

Paranoid and scared is no way to live life.

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
The Boston police response to these "devices" is the most moronic thing I've ever seen. I can't see how anyone could think these little blinking signs are bombs.

I think the criminal charges are absurd and done mainly so the cops can cover their own embarrassment from being fooled by something so stupid looking.

What a farce.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I was in an airport in Seattle yesterday as this story was breaking. Based on CNN reports, they were describing these as packages with tubes and wires and potential explosives. They had terrorism experts on, talking about how these things could have been placed and how Homeland Security responds to situations.

Here I thought something real was happening. :rolleyes:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
The Boston police response to these "devices" is the most moronic thing I've ever seen. I can't see how anyone could think these little blinking signs are bombs.
Well, to play devil's advocate, I doubt many cops watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force and would recognize it for what it is. And I guess I could see someone being worried about anything being placed on bridges. I mean, if you're a really clever terrorist, you'd want to make your bomb look like something else, right?

But sure, they overreacted. Other cities didn't react in this extreme way.

Still, I place blame on the ad guys, too. It never occurred to them that placing these things on bridges might look suspicious to motorists? They never contacted the city for approval? Duh.

I still wouldn't throw 'em in jail, though. If they're guilty of anything, it's stupidity.

In the end the whole thing is kind of perversely funny. I mean, even they don't exactly look worried, do they? They're like, "Dude, we're goin' to Guantanamo." :D

Attachments

• vt1.cartoon.scare.ap.jpg
    vt1.cartoon.scare.ap.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 267

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.

I think the criminal charges are absurd and done mainly so the cops can cover their own embarrassment from being fooled by something so stupid looking.

What a farce.
I agree, how the moronic police state mistook these for bombs is just more of the" we want you to be scared of everything and only we can keep you safe" the Bush administration has pushed. These are cleary light signs, not the spin the media is using such as Hoax bombs or whatever they are called. When i was little kid we had these light boards that had different color pegs you could insert to make a picture. This is what this looks like to me, not some hoax bomb that the media is pushing.

It was lite Bright and you could make any picture you wanted with its pegs:)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
In the end the whole thing is kind of perversely funny. I mean,even they don't exactly look worried
attachment.php

They're very happy cos now their career is made. Everyone knows their name now which is the ultimate if you're an artist working in the commercial sector.

I know cos I get some funding for my sign language arts from the UK Arts Council and also work with another public sector deaf arts company. Media press like that is absolute manna from heaven.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Just read the summary and the linked article, and I still don't understand this at all :confused: :confused:

What's a 'magnetic light board'?

And from the photo in the article, I see it's some sort of arty/badly drawn character in lights, placed in various places.

What's so scary about this? Why are americans so fearful of this?

Perhaps for the same reason London police shoot innocent people in subways?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/23/london.tube/

The police were cautious and no one got hurt. Arrests may be overkill in this case, but they can be undone.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Perhaps for the same reason London police shoot innocent people in subways? http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/23/london.tube/

I used to take the subway from that very station twice a day.

That was pretty disgusting too, and I blame Blair for licking Bush's arse despite having the undeniable intelligence to know better, which in a way, makes Blair 10 times worse.

Seems the police were watching the guy's flat, and the supervising copper couldn't be arsed and went off for a piss or a jazz mag or a curry, and our guy calmly walked out and took the bus to the tube.

Cue major panic and shooting.

Especially foul was the way the police released to the papers all the witness stories about seeing a bloke in a heavy padded jacked run in and jump over the stiles and run down and leap onto a train, with a pack of coppers in full pursuit.

Eg. in the article you linked to. It's all lies, dirty cop lies and cover ups.

It came out in the investigation a few weeks later (actually it was leaked by the complainants dept cos they were so disgusted) that the police knew full well at the time that the heavy padded jacket guy was actually one of them, an armed undercover copper.

He was the one who did the shooting, and the suspect had actually walked in calmly 5 minutes before, brought a ticket, gone through the stiles, and waited patiently for a train before getting on. All the time with another undercover cop following him and right next to him.

When the alarm went off, this copper that was already there grabbed him and held him down, then Mr Padded Jacket Maniac burst in and shoots him 5 times in the head. The holding down copper was pretty pissed off too and said so in the investigation. Apparently he nearly got shot too and went deaf for a while.

The police realised straightaway they'd ****ed up and released a bunch of misleading statement to the media and international media and smeared the dead guy to hell and back. They also tried to claim there were no CCTV cameras at the time.

Bollocks. I know that station, and there's 15 or so cameras. The police stole all the tapes and tried to wipe them, but one turned up later, ****ing up the police story.

Sorry to go on about this, but I was pissed off about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.