Aquafina: Tap water all along

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zwhaler, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Sorry if this has been posted already, but a search brought up no results. If you have been following the news, you might have heard that it has been revealed that Aquafina's water is not so special after all.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070726/hl_nm/pepsico_aquafina_dc_1

Thoughts?

I usually buy Aquafina water... but it is usually because I reuse the bottle with my own water at home. Pepsi has been getting rich off of water straight from the faucet. That is just not right, because not only is it a scam, but that there is no clear mention that the water is from a public source. Now both Aquafina and Dasani are going to have to make it clear on their bottles that the water doesn't come from fancy mountain springs or lakes - but straight otta the faucet.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Criticism of Dasini being tap water than that whole chemical incident. Yea, no wonder they stopped it here. Volvic is all I need now.

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I thought it was common knowledge that it was filtered tap water, but I guess not. If it was mineral water, it would say "mineral water" on the bottle. If it was artesian water, it would say "artesian water" on the bottle. If it was spring water, it would say "spring water" on the bottle. It never had any of these on their bottles, so I'm not sure why people would have assumed otherwise. Check the label on the bottle, it always says the source.:rolleyes:

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The water is still filtered, right? I mean it's not literally only-fools-and-horses-Peckham-Springs-style bottled water, is it?

If folks see bottled water and assume it popped out of some mountain then that's their own stupid fault. Personally, I drink bottled water when I'm out for the taste/purity over 'tap water'. Whether it originated from a spring or a reservoir doesn't bother me. When I'm at home I drink from my own in-line filtered water, and it's just rosy. Who wants to drink a load of dissolved rocks anyway? I'm drunk, but I think I'm on to something.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Correct. It says "Purified Drinking Water" in large letters on the label. I'm not sure how you can view that as artesian, mineral, or spring water.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll chime in too...I knew Aquafina was made from multiple sources of purified tap water years ago. The news is just the label change and the recent media frenzy against bottled water (because the waste issues are somehow worse than the soda people carried around for years, and which, to my knowledge, is consumed in far larger quantities than bottled water).

Aquafina = tap water from several sources, purified

Dasani = tap water, ditto, with added minerals, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, and what happened in the UK really has nothing to do with Dasani in the US, as far as I know.

Evian = explained quite clearly on the back of the bottle (my personal favorite water).

I drink Aquafina when there're no cups / fountains available, and I do like Dasani as my second favorite taste-wise after Evian. But I also drink tap water.

8. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I've always known this... I read my bottles.

I've always been a huge fan of Voss though. Artesian water from Norway where you can literally taste the difference.
    [​IMG]

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Poland Spring is still my favorite. (and I don't mean the cheap gin)

Even if it is owned by Nestle.

I once tried a super-duper-uber reverse-osmosis filtered water that cost twice as much as Evian. Tasted the same though. Good thing it was a free sample. :D

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Waaah, now that I think about it...

In china Coca Cola sells this water caled "Sensation." On the front it says "Purified Water for Drinking" in English and Chinese.

There's even a Coca-Cola logo on it.

No wonder it's so cheap!

I always thought any water that came out of a bottle was going to be at least some form of water from a natural source, but I guess not. But, it still tastes good. Although I am wary of filtered tap water in Shanghai... it's not recommended that one drinks the tap water here unless you boil it first.

Then again, it's probably the same stuff they put in Dasani. Well, at least it's cheap in China, unlike how expensive Dasani is elsewhere.

11. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I remember seeing a video awhile back there a news station put unfiltered tap water in expensive bottles and everyone thought it was the real deal. Then they put exensive water in a glass and told people it was tap - and they all thought it "tasted worse" because they though it was tap. Buying expensive water for the taste is worthless... its all a trick of the mind.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I only drink distilled water, spring water tastes funny.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My favorite water is Deer Park. Tastes like water should taste like: nothing. Not this weird city water like taste. Eh, I am spoiled with my well water. :)

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

distilled water isn't the best for you. sure, it tastes great, but it dilutes your body of the minerals and nutrients found in normal water.

15. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

I can not taste any difference between brands poured from a plastic bottle.

I buy/drink bottled water only when it's the only option over soda.

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

never really like aquafina nor dissanai (sp). I normally drink poland spring. But i also like smartwater

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Water is water. Usually. I can't stand Ozarka water for some reason.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I drink a lot of bottle water at college not because I can not stand the taste of the tap water. Any type I do drink I have filtered.
    Now out side of college I drink tap to filtered tap. most tap taste just fine to me.

19. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I guess it is better than what I always thought was in it. :D But yeah, Evian an Voss are the best in my taste, but then again I like my tap water. Plus my shower head think i has more than enough minerals in it.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I rarely drink bottled water...it's hard to justify the waste of plastic just for water.

I have a nalgene, a couple of sigg bottles and I always reuse bottles of water that I do buy. I fill them, let them air out (the chlorine evaporates) in the fridge, cap them and take them with me if I go somewhere. Not too difficult, tastes as good as most bottled water.

I've found that any drink is much better out of glass, plastic just isn't as nice.

I do, however have a penchant for Henniez (Swiss) and San Pellegrino bottled water (out of glass bottles, only). I absolutely can taste the difference between Henniez and other waters. Special occasions only, though. Tap water does me very well 99.5% of the time. :)

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I can't stand Dasani and if I absolutely have to I'll drink Aquafina I will. I figured they were just filtered public water. Still better than drinking out of a public fountain.

Since moving to Colorado I drink the water straight from the tap because it is that good. Filtering it just takes out too many minerals and leaves it tasting like nothing. I usually fill up my 750ml Camelback bottle every morning before going to work (best bottle I've used).

Voss is ok but the best water I've ever had and most likely will ever have was in a tiny spring (maybe 3 feet in diameter) out while backpacking 30 miles of the Pacific Coast Trail near Mt. Rainier in Washington State. We stopped for the night near a lake and my Father-in-law showed us exactly where this little known spring was. That water was bloody cold but well worth it. I'd seriously drink that over any other drink (sodas, etc) if I had the option. Too bad it's takes a full days hike to get to it.

22. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I like to consider myself a water afficianado (i.e. I would be willing to drop a pretty penny on a reverse osmosis system if I needed to), and I always knew that there was something fishy about Aquafina. It was never much above regular tap water in terms of taste. Personally, I like the water from our filtration system at home or Ozarka if I'm out somewhere.

23. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Meh, doesn't affect me, i usually drink safeway brand water (i think it tastes the best) or i just go with tap water.

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

There is some serious prissiness in this thread. Voss. wtf? :rolleyes: :p
    it's frickin water! Now some tap water tastes like hell, you could "pepsi challenge" that stuff any old day of the week. Other times I couldn't tell my tap water from that overpriced bottled stuff. I'm just not picky, prissy or pretentious enough to care.

Yeah that's messed up if Aquafina was "tricking" people but if the people drinking it couldn't tell the difference then I guess it was good enough. I think people are upset because they got pwned being snobs. "OMG, you mean I drank perfectly good water that was not shipped in from a utopian garden stream?! The horror!"

25. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

VOSS and FIJI have by faaaaaar the best tasting water anywhere.

Hildon mineral water from the UK is pretty good as well, but it's difficult to find in Atlanta.