Archiving Time Capsule, then transfer to new Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ZMacintosh, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I have a 500GB Time Capsule and am looking to upgrade it to a 1TB Refurb Dual Band (my 500GB isnt dual band) for the arrival of my new 27" iMac.

Right now i'm archiving it to a 1TB External drive...now when i get the new Dual-band TC will i be able to "archive it" back or do i just simply drag and drop the archived data onto the new timecapsule so i can get back into backing up?

as i currently have my uMBP backing up to the 500GB TC and want to continue backing up to the new 1TB TC where I left off.

thanks!:cool:

2. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

okay, so how i can back up my current time capsule (500gb) to the 1TB Time capsule?

and being able to retain backups and older data?

thanks

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You should be able to drag the xxx.sparsebundle file onto the new TC (from within the archive folder).

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the only issue ive seen that ive run into myself, is that with moving the sparsebundles, is that theyre limited to the size of the previous timecapsule, so the sparsebundle will show a max capacity of 500GB on your end.

I havent seen mine expand yet going to 2TB, so i may have to reinitiate the back ups from scratch.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can resize a sparsebundle in Disk Utility. I haven't done this specifically on a TM sparebundle, but it should work the same as any other. You'd still have the original as a backup if there's any problem [with the copied sparsebundle], but it should work fine.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

hm, i tried and didnt see a way to properly resize it.