ARD port forwarding to two different computers???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lmiafbe, Jan 19, 2010.

1. lmiafbe macrumors newbie

I searched MRoogle and Google so I apologize if this question has already been posted. If it has can someone please redirect me to the answer?

Situation: From school (obviously an external network) i'd like to be able to use ard 3.3.2 to manage both my imac and my server, currently i have my port mapping set to forward to my imac for ard.

Problem: I'd like to be able to manage them both (through ard, for many reasons): i have not seen any possible way to change the ports that ard listens on my server (running 10.5 server). It's obvious you can pick the ports when you add the computer but not the ports that it listens on.

Possible solutions:?? I understand ssh tunneling allows you to connect to another computer but do not completely understand how this works... would this allow me to tell the router one port and the computer another?

Any help will be appreciated... Thanks in advance...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have a time capsule that's currently being used for my router...

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i know this isnt really what you were after, but could you setup one computer to share via VNC (in system preferences->sharing), and the other for remote management (ard protocol).

that way when you go into ARD and type in your home networks IP, both should come up. actually regardless of this both should come up. hmm.

3. lmiafbe thread starter macrumors newbie

hm, this would require turning ard off on the computer to use vnc correct? I assume that vnc uses a different port then the ones ard uses then?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont think ARD would need to be turned off on the vnc enabled computer. they use different ports so id say it would be ok.

5. lmiafbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Experimented today, ard uses the vnc port for the screen sharing portion... does anyone know of a way to change the port that ard uses? or a way to tell the aebs to to use one port externally and another port internally? Again, any help is appreciated, thanks

6. lmiafbe thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution!

This may not be the simplest or the most effective solution for everyone but it works none the less... I set up a vpn and connect to it from outside my network. Once connected to the vpn I route all my traffic though the vpn and this results in the ability to connect to use all services capable on the network.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats awsome! glad to hear you got it working :D

can i ask how you setup a VPN connection? have been wondering how to do this myself for quite a while.

8. lmiafbe thread starter macrumors newbie

I have leopard server running on my server, so it was just a few options here and there, a quick search on google though will yield a bunch of options for non server applications you could run. If you have any other questions on the actual setup details let me know

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry for the late reply! forgot about the tab haha.

i just happened to install Snow Leopard server virtually onto my iMac (via parallels). all is going well.

if there is anything you could possibly point me towards WRT setting up VPNs and whatnot that would be sweet as :)

take it easy.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Oh crap. I got some of my acronym's mixed up.

If I could offer another solution to multiple VNC connections, you could have your router config page (AEBS doesn't have this does it?) face the web, then alter the destination IP on the local net for the port forwarding as you need it.

Or you could...VNC into one machine, then 'Share Screen' from that machine to any other machine.

May be of some assistance: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080107061618164 (the last comment regarding the command ipfw looks like it).

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow man thats a sick website!!!! just going thru the stuff now.

thanks heaps for that :D

wondering if this can be done with AFP, want to map to all of my computers from the outside.

edit: argh. it doesnt want to find my computer, bloody 2wire modems!

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yup macosxhints.com is one of the best resources for delving into OS X.

AFP is kinda crap over the net (apparently), it has crossed my mind but I don't have anything located remotely I need to access (yet). I know how to use SSH and rsync but that is a hassle.

Until they can set up unmetered access from between two accounts on their network I won't be considering it seriously

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm really? it just beats emailing things :p id love to be able to AFP (or secure FTP) into a computer to get a song, some work, whatever. im pretty sure i know how to do it, it seems easy enough. ill use dyndns to make everything easy to remember ;)

was just gonna setup a VPN because i can lol. seems a bit stupid tho.

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you have Apple Remote Desktop (alongside your neat copy of SL Server :p) you can drag and drop across the screens.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

of course i do ;)

kinda forgot about that feature hey! nice thinking. now to get my STUPID modem to recognise my computers! so i can port forward. ugh.

oh and regarding the unmetered access, i wont be transferring GBs of data, just a few MBs here and there.. if that. no loss.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't sense much love for Tel$tra from you lol

When I move a few MB of data I'll do it the hard way, what I'm really getting at is being able to have my all my media in a remote location, say pooled together at my mates place so I can grab things I want with out actually going there (movies, and whatnot).

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it seems that the feeling is mutal ;) dont get me started on them, i could go on all day.

totally! stream a movie from my house to your place without any problems. give you my IP address (or domain name) and create a guest account for you and away you go! that would be sick. it would be easy to implement now tbh, but download limits and my 90KB/s upload limit wont make for a good experience.

18. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Ahoy ye matey's! Kevin Rudd is bringing us the NBN, hopefully non-crippled, and non-filtered. Uploading at like 1MB/s for everyone within the country would be brilliant.

Another strike against Telstra tho, uploads are counted.

And you're welcome to use AirVideo on my machine from your iPhone as well. When I'm not using my machine that is, uploads aren't counted from my ADSL which uploads at about 120kB/s.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

f*uck that! 1MB/s? make it 10MB/s and then it will get interesting, then we can stream full HD movies :D btw i have a growing collection of them (bought a ps3 and installed linux, i can rip them now).

terrible hey... rediculous.

aint got no iphone :( will hopefully buy an iPad though for uni notes :D

quite a good upload speed! airvideo? never used it! *googles*

bed calls. gotta be up at 730 ugh! ciao

20. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

far out, i'm still too lazy to install linux, bet that i7 of yours can get through a BR in like 20 secs.

I seriously thinking of one too, maybe we can queue at the same store lol

well at the iPad res, my upload won't cut it :(

likewise. nite dude

21. lmiafbe thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in class now, but when I can point you in the right direction if you're still interested, just let me know. I have afp running as well as ftp and stream my itunes library over the internet using afp instead of carrying it around on my laptop.

Also it's nice for encryption purposes, its very safe for being on unsecured networks and allows you to route all traffic through the vpn tunnel. I haven't had poor times with my afp, but i like that it allows you to open files rather then copy or transfer a copy.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup it doesnt take too long. my process adds another step though which adds about an hour.

HAHA! maybe, too bad we live to far away :(

naww. thanks crappy ISP people!

MORNING!

yea man thats totally sick! id love to be able to do that! if only i didnt have to worry about bandwidth usage. it would be a double whammy for me doing iTunes streaming - the uploads from my house count towards out internet usage at home, and the downloads at uni count towards my quota there. we have to pay for it :(

i am def still interested in the VPN tunnel. !

23. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You lazy bum, come down to Sydney.

It's got me very interested too. I may be getting a Mini when they get updated, and SL Server may just be the main OS on it.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha maybe. gots a job (proper) now! woooo moneys. uni is bleh but :( (starts in 2 weeks).

we can harass apple staff and show them up. ask them what the FSB is on the current MPs (wink wink). have always wanted to ask them that one haha

i have server if you want it ;) mini would be sick. ive got my hack here might just use that but.

25. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm back to comp sci too, should be my final year, if I enrolled right....

Argh, I wouldn't know that was a stupid question. But alas, I'm not that cruel, most of the ppl working there aren't exactly tech people to begin with.

No thanks. yes, please lol