Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Ive read a few reports that having 2 sounds incredible. Thinking of getting a second. I have a large master betroom. I won’t be able to place them side by side like traditional speakers. One will be toward the bottom of my entertainment center where it sounds good now and the other on top of a dresser about 10 ft away or so. I’m more interested in beutiful immersive sound rather then too much loudness and I don’t want the neighbors complaining. Would love to hear people’s opinions that have 2 in stereo. Thanks

Reactions: strategicthinke

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I don't know if 'amazing' is how I would describe them, but they are very doggone good, and considerably better than a single HomePod (or two before the stereo pairing was possible).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Are two HomePods as good as a soundbar with subwoofer. I have a single HomePod now but don’t use it with AppleTV because my soundbar sounds better.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Are two HomePods as good as a soundbar with subwoofer. I have a single HomePod now but don’t use it with AppleTV because my soundbar sounds better.

I’ve has a variety of midrange soundbars from Sony with subs and without question I feel the two HomePods are better with music and with AppleTV. The catch is you can’t support other stuff like cable boxes, gaming consoles, Blu-ray players etc.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’ve has a variety of midrange soundbars from Sony with subs and without question I feel the two HomePods are better with music and with AppleTV. The catch is you can’t support other stuff like cable boxes, gaming consoles, Blu-ray players etc.
Yeah if I could use it with my TV it would be awesome.

Reactions: mcdspncr

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I'm adding two more to the two I have, if that answers your question ;). Once we set up a stereo pair we haven't moved them.
That said, our big screen television is still surrounded by Sonos components: Sub,Center speaker, and 4 discrete speakers positioned accordingly.
But we want stereo pairs in the master bedroom and kitchen (old house, big rooms, high ceilings) where we spend most of our time. I would eventually like to add singles in rooms like the dining room and living room to use for background music, podcasts, HomeKit control but with the knowledge that I could move another speaker to those locations if we had a big party.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Got the second one. Daft punk get lucky was the first song I played and Dang it sounds good. Illl use the homepods for stereo music and Apple TV and the denon/klipsch for cable. The denon receiver with the klipsch 5.1 isn’t even close to the stereo homepods.

Now if Apple will just bring Siri up to the competition :)

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.

That's an impossible question to answer - what sounder? what subwoofer? The variations between available speaker systems are far too great to make the kind of generalizations people seem to be asking for.

If you have an Apple store close by then check out the HomePods in the store, now that the stereo pairing is available. Or in a Best Buy or wherever you might be able to audition them.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I tried stereo pairing for the first time last night. Two HomePods in stereo sound pretty darn amazing. The soundstage is HUGE, crisp and clear. PLENTY of volume and bass. I'm impressed!

But HomePod Siri still sucks. She is so easy to confuse it's not even funny.

Mark

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
We haven't really made that much use of Siri, and it does seem that it is necessary to be careful to be as clear as possible in enunciating what she is asked. I've also noticed on a couple of occasions that Siri will respond suddenly when nothing has been said, this has happened just once or twice. Overall I think it's impressive to be able to request a specific artist or piece of music and get what you asked for without doing anything else.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
For music yes, amazing. For Apple TV it’s not any real difference than one which is sad (Volume is hampered a lot).

Reactions: mcdspncr

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I am going to try to hook up 4 HomePods to my Apple TV , a few friends will be bringing their HomePod , to make this possible I have to make 2 stereo pairs and make a fake room in the home app, so physically place 2 stereo pairs in my living room and have the home app believe one stereo pair is in a different room.
Would that be possible?

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
It is worth noting that playing music and playing a movie on homepod are totally different sound wise......what I mean by that is what the homepod sounds like on 90% while playing music isn't the same as playing a movie at the same level. It is much much quieter while playing a movie at the same volume.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I tried stereo pairing for the first time last night. Two HomePods in stereo sound pretty darn amazing. The soundstage is HUGE, crisp and clear. PLENTY of volume and bass. I'm impressed!

But HomePod Siri still sucks. She is so easy to confuse it's not even funny.

Mark

And how is sound imaging? Are vocals clear and coming from between the speakers as if they were standing there singing? How about bass? Can you tell different bass notes are they all the same note over and over again?

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
And how is sound imaging? Are vocals clear and coming from between the speakers as if they were standing there singing? How about bass? Can you tell different bass notes are they all the same note over and over again?
I find all of these to be excellent. Even when sitting at my desk about a metre to the left of the l/hand speaker, I can distinctly hear vocalists as being centre stage. When sitting equidistant between the speakers the imaging is extraordinary.

I have a high-end Arcam amp and B&W floor-standers (which the HomePod are now sitting on top of! :)) , which cost about 10 times as much as the HomePods, and I can honestly say that the HomePods/Apple Music combo, whilst clearly not as great as the dedicated system, is really good enough to be my "daily driver".

I may, in the end, decide to sell the high-end kit since I'm getting tired of all the cables and, importantly, speaker size in a relatively modest listening space. Besides anything else, the frequency response of my ears will clearly decrease with my increasing middle age:D

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've heard that paired HomePods won't play stereo when using Apple TV to play a movie that is on my computer (via the "computer" app on ATV). Is that true?

Hmm, will test that later for you. I know it works like a charm when watching a movie from the iTunes Store and that playing music from your iTunes library can't be streamed in stereo. So your question is something in between these two.

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what any of you are talking about. I am obsessed with stereo-pair for Apple TV. Shows/movies sound amazing and i find airplay much more reliable after the update (it would occasionally drop before).
Volume levels for certain movie files is just lower and that's not a HomePod issue. I find levels more than adequate.

Reactions: kevingaffney

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Someone please try Tubular Bells and Mike Davis So What. I assume on the latter when a horn instrument is playing then one speaker/channel plays nothing, that is what is suppose to happen.

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
I don't know what any of you are talking about. I am obsessed with stereo-pair for Apple TV. Shows/movies sound amazing and i find airplay much more reliable after the update (it would occasionally drop before).
Volume levels for certain movie files is just lower and that's not a HomePod issue. I find levels more than adequate.

You must be using the appleTV and homepods in a very small room then....

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
How far apart should the HomePods be? Where my current one is, it’s on a stereo cabinet that’s a little wider than traditional stereo equipment. Would that be too close together?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
With their spacial awareness I assume the further, the better. (with a limit of course).

Mine are on each side of a 65" tv and I feel like they're too close... but can't put them any further :-(

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
How far apart should the HomePods be? Where my current one is, it’s on a stereo cabinet that’s a little wider than traditional stereo equipment. Would that be too close together?
I find that the further apart they are the better the soundstage. Height is also important - generally better if they're higher off the ground. A lot of people say that HomePods should be unobstructed from all sides, but I actually find that if they are closer to a wall (about 5-6 inches) the lower end projects better and fills the room with better sound. Could be a prersonal preference.
I would also suggest just moving them around and experimenting with positioning and a song you know well and love. They're easy to move around and eventually you will find a sweet spot.

Reactions: BlankStar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.