Are 2009 Mac Pros selling?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spitfireeq, Mar 30, 2009.

1. spitfireeq macrumors newbie

Just curious, does anyone have any feedback on this.

Searched the forums but could not find another topic like this.

Are the apple stores or resellers moving a lot of these new machines. Is the volume on sales slow, medium brisk? How about compared to the previous generation.

2. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

How the frack are suppose to know this? Why don't you email Steve?

3. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The resellers sell the high end machines to the local designers where I live and those resellers sell a lot of third party design software, Wacom tablets, stuff like Maya and other expensive design stuff beyond Adobe, Kensington multi-button mouses, and back up UPS surge protectors.

The Apple Store is more like a huge advertisement for Apple and especially for iPod and its accessories as that's 1/2 the floor space there at the three stores closest to me. On the whole the Apple Stores are devoted to iMacs and iPods. Only one Mac Pro on display, no 17" inch unibodies one can try out. I never see anybody at that display station with the Mac Pro when I visit the Apple Store.

The Apple Store is great for little kids, teens and first time Mac users. It's the ultimate introduction to the world of Apple.

4. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

5. spitfireeq thread starter macrumors newbie

Was looking to get feedback from first hand experience when dealing with a salesperson.

for example, i went to a reseller (decent sized) last week in Toronto and spoke to a sales guy. I asked him if they sold any, and the answer was not many yet.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Well I can guarantee you they have sold at least one. Mine.;)

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Apple has sold no 2009 Mac Pros, and there are currently 5,000 disgruntled Pros marching outside their headquarters chanting, "We want Steve!" over and over.

;)

8. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

I would imagine that not many of these get sold at the local Apple store. These are typically business purchases.

9. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Add me to the list... we can guarantee they've at least sold 2.

10. thelongmorrow macrumors member

Make that 3!, When ever I go to the apple store, no one is near the mac pro display (only one), and when I asked about it the sales guy didnt know too much about it, then again, the store appeals mostly to the average joe (ipods, iphones, imacs, and accessories for said items, not to pro users.

11. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

09 Mac Pro buyers poll

There was a recent poll of 09 Mac Pro buyers here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=674394

At this point in time, we have 62 macrumors members who have taken the plunge. :p

If you haven't voted yet, please do!

It's interesting to see the curve of the models purchased. The octo 2.26 is leading the pack.

12. noushy macrumors regular

Mac Pro 2009 Sales

I doubt if anyone other than a news source that received the info from Apple will be able to answer this. The Apple Stores rarely sell Mac Pro systems. They did have a little rush on 2008 models due to price breaks. I have a friend who manages two stores, and my understanding is they sold only a handful (2 or 3) so far. Most of these machines, other than the lowest end models are sold online. The stores only carry the 2.66 quad core and the 2.26 8 core machines. I purchased mine directly through Apple.

Peace,
    Noushy

13. Igantius macrumors 65816

According to this analyst report - http://www.appleinsider.com/article...lans_on_strong_reception_to_new_desktops.html - there has been a "stronger-than-expected reception" to the refreshed desktop line-ups, which has led to Apple increasing the amount of Macs in production. But until the appropriate quarterly report, we won't know how many Mac Pros have been shifted.

Going back to what you said about resellers/Apple stores, although this kind of information is interesting, it's anecdotal and doesn't give a clear picture. Now if you managed to get a salesperson to say how many sales against the store's sales targets, that would give an idea of how well it was selling compared to projected figures - but again, this doesn't give a clear overall picture.

When it's worth remembering that Apple see its pro apps and its professional machines (particularly the Mac Pros) as two very linked product ranges, where both drive sales of the others. If
    something like FCS gets updated soon, the demand for MPs to increase - so a hardware refresh doesn't tell the whole story....

This isn't the sort of information Apple would volunteer to the press, nor does it really comment on enquiries of this nature.

14. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

FWIW, the boss of one of the big apple resellers in belgium, told me that the most succesful units are the quad and octo 2.6 models, and that they've been receiving alot of dissapointment from their customers regarding the 2.26 octo.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

+1

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

battlestar galactica rules!!

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

Did he say why those 2.26GHz customers have been disappointed? I've seen a few posts by people expressing disappointment, which seemed to be because clock speed was more appropriate to their needs than the number of processors.

18. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Nah, they've only sold around a dozen or so; poor apple, having such a miserable failure of a machine in their lineup :p

19. ender78 macrumors 6502

The people that buy a Mac Pro may often qualify for a discount by ordering from Apple. The 3rd party retailers and or the Apples retail stores do not generally have people walking in and spending 5K.

20. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

No sorry, it wasn't that detailed. She told me that they were dissapointed "in comparison with last year's 2.8". But I guess it must have been clock speed. We were talking about which mac I should chose, the 2.8 octo, or the newer quads or octos. She said, if it was up to her, between the three models, this is what she would buy:
    2.8 octo > 2.6 quad > 2.26 octo
    Bear in mind that they didn't have any 2.8 octo's for sale anymore, so it wasn't a sales push. Pure honest opinion.

21. noushy macrumors regular

It will be better

Everyone seems to have forgetting the first gen Mac Pro as well. They were slow, expensive, and the base machines were only 2 cores (single dual core proc). Even when the quad core chips came out, only the top end was a dual quad core until the latest refresh, were Apple made all of them 800FSB machines, and honestly, not much difference in performance for the price. The same will happen with this generation of Mac Pro Nehalem machines as well. The first round usually sucks as far as performance for the dollar. The next round, my guess is they will eliminate most of the single processor options (with a BTO for one on the low end), and offer faster speeds, along with more memory and hard drive space.

Peace,
    Noushy

22. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Apple stopped reporting indivudal model sales a few years back, so we don't know.

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't know where you're getting your information, but all the 2006 Mac Pros had four cores. The slowest machine was the dual-dual core 2.0 GHz model.

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think they'll keep the SP-DP distinction and use the Gulftown CPUs (6 cores for SP and 12 cores for DP) so core count still increases.

25. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

yeah, they'll definitely still keep the SP and DP distinction intact.