Are 2013 Airs running hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fattytail, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Totally looking for anecdotal experience only. Are your computers running hot to the touch during normal use? I'm not expecting them to be as cool as an iPad, but just wondering how how they get on the underside.

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

nope..only slightly warm here. not even warm when just browsing and typing papers. i have the ultimate model

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's not made to sit on your lap. Lets put it that way!

4. coolio93 macrumors 6502

lol how is a laptop not made to sit on your lap?

5. unknownfps macrumors member

Hence the word, "Lap-top"

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. jt90 macrumors newbie

Any recommendations for a laptop cooler for the MBA?

I know Macbooks heat intake is very different from PC laptops but I was thinking since the MBA is so thin; a regular laptop fan cooler should be decent? ANd it will help to lift my MBA up as well which will help cool it down correct?

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Takes up bulk, fans that if u can't hear them u will later, it requires to be powered. I don't bother.

9. flight macrumors regular

I have the 13" base model and haven't noticed excessive heat. My typical usage is very basic: browsing in Safari, typing in Evernote, and reading from Pocket. It's comfortable on the lap with regard to temperature. I don't have Flash installed though.

10. revisionA macrumors 6502

Honestly, plenty comfortable in my lap. G4 Powerbook was a real leg burner but I don't even feel this is there.

Was writing stuff in Live with a few instances of Massive and FM8 and Absynth and still very comfy.

11. newdeal macrumors 68020

for my use which is basically just web browsing, watching videos etc even with flash video playing and the laptop on the charger the trackpad area feels cool to the touch (as in below body temperature) and the hinge area feels slightly warmer than body temp (but not as warm as a 3rd gen iPad). Coolest laptop I have owned (may change if I gamed on it but I don't). It makes sense that it would be cool, heat is wasted energy, the computer is FAR more efficient than the previous generation so it only stands to reason it would be cooler

12. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

So far running as cool if not cooler than my mid 2011 13".

i7 8GB.

13. webstarcool macrumors member

I have the MBA mid-2012 (i7/8GB/256) and all I can say is that I have been deeply disappointed with fan noise. Thought I got a jet as well.

I have had it serviced at an Apple Store to check if something was wrong, but they say it runs normal.

In the case the new Haswell-generation runs cooler I'm ready to sell off my current MBA with a loss, but first I have the following question for new 2012 MBA users:

- How about fan noise when you start running flash/YouTube-videos?
    - How is it when running games (even simple games)?

And to all of you. Do you expect there to be a temperature difference between the i5 and the i7?

Best wishes,

14. newdeal macrumors 68020

I cant even notice the fan coming on with flash, totally silent. Cant comment on games

15. Porkaysi macrumors member

making a hierarchy chart on word made my 2013 i5 13 inch get warm in a small part. not close to hot and its the warmest i have gotten in in 5 days of ownership. have yet to hear the fans kick on but i have barely taxed the cpu/gpu.

16. Serban Suspended

so the 2013 macbooks air will get so hot like the previous models?

17. n1tut macrumors regular

My 2010 11" 2GB/64GB is on my lap now, base is 31deg, not sure that I have ever heard the fan coming on, light use though, mainly Internet and a couple of programs on Parallels.

tut

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

50 W/h battery, running for 12 hours. That means just above 4 watt of power. Quite hard to keep anything warm with 4 watt.

19. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any actual numbers? When watching Netflix or Flash videos my MBP gets to around 70-80C. I'm wondering if the new Haswell's are any cooler.

20. Serban Suspended

so nobody had an macbook air from 2011 or 2012 and now to compare it with this model 2013 to tell us an objective opinion? this new models are still get hot when you are performing having task?

21. firewood macrumors 604

Ergonometrics on a product with a legacy naming from many years ago. Using a laptop in your lap for more than very short periods is now known to cause serious posture issues leading to potential back/neck/wrist injuries.

22. OregonSasquatch macrumors newbie