Are all MBP equipped with Nvidia 8600 defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M. Malone, Aug 26, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I have my MBP, haven't had any issues on it yet.

But I have been worried to try and push the graphics card.

Are they all defective or just some? :confused:

2. Gloor macrumors 6502a

all of them

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Is it really necessary to have a thread whose title and subject are paraphrases of a 24 page thread that has been on the front page of the board for weeks?

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suppose this is going to continue to be an issue for those of us with this configuration. As it happens, I have a lovely MBP, as I'm a switcher (since last April), and this potential particular problem has not (yet) materialised as a [mal]functioning defect. Yes, it has been discussed, quite a lot, on the forum. No, nVidia have not conceded fault, and neither have Apple; such might lead them open to class actions.

However, if you have the initial one year warranty, - which comes with any Apple purchase - and also Applecare, you are covered should anything go wrong. Subsequent to my purchase, I raised this issue - of nVidia - in the place where I bought my machine and they confirmed that I would be covered if those difficulties arise. Cheers and good luck.

5. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

6. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

thank you so much for that, I appreciate it :)

7. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

that just really sucks :mad:

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It also depends on how you use it. If you don't push it then I heard it can last beyond the 3 years(assuming you have Applecare). If it breaks after that then it is on you unless Apple decides to extend it because of this problem.

I'm going to be purchasing the Pro early next year(depending on how the revisions are doing) and didn't get a Pro a few months ago because of this issue.

I would hate to have it for 3+ yrs and then boom it breaks.

9. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

The message you're replying to is an opinion, not a fact. One that's already been discussed to death if you want to look around and do some more reading about it.

It's an opinion that I think might be fairly close to the truth - certainly for all the graphic adapters produced prior to nvidia announcing they'd found a problem - but it's just an opinion.

So don't put too much into getting mad over it. My suggestion if you have a MBP that could possibly be affected would be to get Applecare, be vigilant for anything that might suggest the onset of a problem and insist on getting it fixed right up if that happens, but other than that don't worry too much and enjoy your computer. Life's too short to worry to much and you could get hit by a car tomorrow. I mean, God forbid that happens, but don't get too caught up in maybes and probabilities and opinions.

10. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

I bought my Mbp a week ago and I'm getting vertical striping. I wonder if I return it will apple give me the new MbP if it comes out before my video card dies and I return it..

11. kabunaru Guest

Sell yours right now and get the new one when it comes out. Hopefully it won't have any more faulty Nvidia video cards.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have a MBP SR 2.2 and have never seen an issue, however, I know the problem exists. The only choice I see is whether to sell now and buy the next version or just keep it until it dies.

The problem I have with all of the threads associated with this issue is the continued suggestion that people buy the $349 Applecare. I believe this is tantamount to saying everyone must pay this fee to protect an already significant investment. I think it is more than reasonable to expect more than 12 months of use from a computer system (even more so from a premium brand such as Apple).

I'm not sure how widespread this problem really is (resale value has not dropped on these units) but saying everyone needs to pay for three years of support "just in case" might discourage Apple from actually dealing with the issue.

Knowing they have this potential liability out there but instead of facing it head on, sitting back while the "faithful" run out and buy Applecare or sell their system (creating more potential sales of replacement equipment) could be a negative to Apple providing a real solution to those affected by the issue.

Applecare should not be the standard answer. It might save you and it might not, but most likely it will be more money toward Apple's already ample bottom line.

Cheers,

13. TSE macrumors 68030

No. Put it this way, if there is a huge problem, Apple will fix it. If your macbook pro is having a problem and is under warranty, Apple will fix it.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes all of them are defective. The world might end. Skynet owns you.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yes they are all defective since nvidia never changed its production lines and used different batches to produce the g84 and g86.

And just like all products that are not defective, some will last x amount of years so the nvidia gpu failures will vary, some will have problems after a year while the rest around 3-4 years.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Minus the 6.86 bajillion other people who don't troll (as in, visit) macrumors all day, like my boss, who don't know, and probably won't know that this issue exists.

Look, some of you guys predicting epic failure across the board are blowing my mind.

Two or three months ago, video issues amongst the macbook pro were considered isolated.

Then nvidia comes in and says there might be a problem that might be our fault kinda sorta.

This is not like the dell xps series, where it is well documented that the smaller ones (well , the ones i've seen) suffer from this to a heavy degree.

If this was that explosively epic, Apple would have NO CHOICE but to issue a massive recall, because there would be massive failures across the board, but as far as I can still see it, issues are still isolated. My department uses a number of Macbook Pros from all nvidia revisions driving 30" monitors in clamshell mode EASILY peaking 85 +/- 10 degree temperatures .

Not one failure to date.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there isnt the possibility of a huge problem that isn't going over well in cupertino and santa clara (nvidia), but until something OFFICIAL comes out, doomsday stories are just that.

Maybe its just me. I had a professor who would stop you in the middle of a presentation and mark you off a good percentage if ANY of your information was dubious or otherwise wrong and unable to be proven to a reasonable measure.

She would have a field day here.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you really think about it, the merom version of the mbp 2.4 and 2.2ghz models are barely over a year old now so its still too early to see the epic failures and especially penryn mbps only been out for less than 6 months.

18. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Just sold mine, now just playing the waiting game! :D Com'n ATI

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't know why you guys are fussing so much about it. I'd personally think, if you were in your warranty and your system craps out, and that Apple comes out with a newer model, they'll up you to a newer model because your system would be "dead" and it cant be fixed that easily.

I run Folding@home on my MBP... so if this thing decides to die, it should be well within the 3 year applecare warranty. My GPU is constantly at 85 deg C

20. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Most likely blown out of proportion. I can also understand some (reasonable level) concern since no one wants to be stuck with a machine that doesn't work or they can't sell.

My biggest issue is the push by many to recommend the expensive Applecare as remedy for this specific problem. As such, I think it is a very expensive insurance policy, especially for some customers.

Cheers,

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Agreed.

That said, AppleCare is generally on top of my list for other non related issues (such as hard disk failure or dying fans, dead pixels, explosive batteries etc etc).

If my MPB starts to show erratic video behavior, i'll make quite a scene @ the local :apple: store. But hopefully I won't need to :D

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry, even without AppleCare Apple will support the machine for 3 years from date they stop selling these machines.

Expect the MacBook Pro Nvidia Repair Extension Program to end somewhere between November 2011 and March 2012.

Leaning more towards November 2011 if Nvidia did start shipping good GPUs when they said they did, and March 2012 if they all suck equally.

They'll give you a long list of symptoms for the MacBook Pro Nvidia Repair Extension Program, if you have one of these -- then it won't be a real issue.

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

All of the 8600 that were released by Nvidia are defective. What's so hard to understand about that. It's been acknowledged by Nvidia, Dell and HP. Apple is the only major company that remains silent. Nvidia took a multi-million charge against earnings in anticipation of having to replace the cards.

This info is not rumors. It's common knowledge if you do a bit of research on google.

Apple will replace the card IF there is a problem. However, they won't replace it if you are out of warranty. Oh, and be prepared to be without your laptop while they send it in to replace with the EXACT SAME defective card.

The card goes bad when it's heated and cooled for many cycles over a long period of time. Having a laptop for a year or so under normal use is probably not enough for the problem to show up. Just give it some time...

24. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I absolutely agree with what you say in principle, I've popped up in a few of the other threads about this and said that apple need to come out with a statement, but as much as I agree with you about how things should be, if someone asks what their practical options are for keeping their laptop in service given how things stand at the moment, there really is only one answer. You and I might both agree that it's unsatisfactory, but that doesn't mean it isn't the best we've got at the moment.

25. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Ahhh, practicality rears its slightly misshaped head.

Cheers,