Are all phobias created equal?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unid, May 24, 2010.

1. unid macrumors regular

I jump at the unexpected sight of a spider yet I am not arachnophobic
    My favourite phobia is linonophobia – fear of string.

Do you have any phobias or even tendencies towards one?
    Do you think (since they have variable impacts) that all phobias are created equal?

2. Queso macrumors G4

I'm not even sure there's a name for it, but I have a fear of revolving doors :eek:

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Orbitagoraphobia

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Hydrophobia.:eek:

I ain't afraid of water, dagnabbit. I drink and shower.:p
    I'm scared of drowning.;) I can swim...straight down; done so on half a dozen occasions. Luckily some helpful folks were around to dredge my carcass from the watery depths before I ended up belly up. Now I only go into water no higher than chest deep.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You have something in common with Justin Bieber!

7. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Freaking GROSS!!!!

blattodephobia = fear of cockroaches *dry heaves at the thought*

The phobia I find a little funny is: midget phobia (Lollypopguildophobia)

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Serves that little prick right.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to get too off topic, but what about him makes him a "little prick"? :confused:

I'm certainly not one of his fans -- and really know very little about him. Is he a diva? Does he harbor crazy political views?

Side note: I heard that he was on Oprah the other day. Bieber-mania, they called it. Except when I turned on the TV, I thought they said there was beaver-mania on Oprah, and I was frightened. Is that a phobia? :p

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Excessive use of autotune, he has no talent, he has millions of annoying tween fans who trample each other and get sent to the hospital, etc. I just can't stand him :p

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

12. ethical macrumors 68000

That and the fact that he's a 15 year old who struts around with Usher, singing songs about meeting girls at the bowling alley and falling in love. If he was 3 years older than I'd be fine with it. It just think he's a fake, manufactured by record labels to fit the demands of millions of screaming 14 year old girls. I just think he's a bit silly. But hey, he has no impact on my life so I care very little TBH (although you probably think my post says otherwise).

Anyway.....

I know two people who are both afraid of balloons. They're quite funny to be around when there are balloons in the area.

13. Queso macrumors G4

You see? They even attack ickle babies :eek:

I've never done anything that stupid. I just have this awful feeling that I'll get a limb or finger trapped whilst entering or exiting it.

14. ethical macrumors 68000

some of the comments on that video are so funny!

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Spiders are possibly a resemblance of some overlord or creator of the human race. Or possibly a resemblance of a terrifying creature they used to keep the early humanoids in line. Or maybe we were preyed on by some wretched arachnid in our early history and some sort of genetic memory leaks through in some of us today.

I don't think all phobias are equal, some are real fears that act as a warning, like fear of heights, and others, like fear of buttons, or green jelly babies, are probably merely a nuance created and unfortunately stored in the amygdala.

There's a phobia called trypophobia. Look it up and see if the picture unsettles you. I won't post it here in case it bothers anyone. I think it fits in with the genetic memory spider-prey theory.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

No they aren't. Take agoraphobia and arachnophobia. Both phobias but with different effects. With arachnophobia it is a little easier to get by than with agoraphobia IMO.

Scared of spiders? You may be very cautious and have your exterminator on speed dial but you can still function. The fear of public places and open spaces is a little more serious. I suppose with todays technology it would be easier to make a living but it seems it could have a greater effect on commerce and social interactions such as a task as simple as grocery shopping or going on a date.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't like spiders, heights or tight things underground. Unfortunately my girlfriend wants me to go climbing with her and my best friend wants me to go caving with him.

I don't think I like wet rope too, and quickly sliding my nails across fabrics. But I don't mind the chalkboard/fingernail noise, I can chew tinfoil and steel wool doesn't go through me.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You should have just gone with "doesn't know what 'German' is."

I'm afraid of elephants.

19. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I have mild claustrophobia.

I don't like feeling closed in, especially in crowds. I get unhappy and need to leave in short order. I never buy general admit tickets, or if it's the only option, I pick a spot where I can control my exit and can't be trampled from behind or something.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I didn't know there was a name for that but yes, I find that a little unsettling. However this may be because a few years back I saw a photoshopped image of one of those pictures with worms coming out of a person's body. It REALLY grossed me out and makes my hair stand on end and makes me get all itchy to this very day to think of it, even knowing it's fake. I'm not sure I'd call it a phobia but it does make me very uneasy.

I don't have any proper phobias. Just things that I don't like, such as complete darkness. I want to be able to see, even just slightly. I sleep with a small nightlight in the hallway outside the bedroom. Very faint but just a little something. :eek:

I know someone who is severely claustrophobic and it can be quite a problem in unexpected ways. It's increasingly difficult to be patient over what even she knows is very irrational. She's just at a loss to do anything about it.

22. ethical macrumors 68000

Does that phobia have a specific name?

I find that rather disturbing too. Couldn't look at it for too long.

23. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I have a fear of jellyfish. I'm not sure what that's called though...

24. unid thread starter macrumors regular

hydromedusaphobic?

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Talentlesstweendouchebagthreadophobia