Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I couldn't image carrying around a $4500 laptop :eek:

If you're going to spend that much money, and not carry it around, why not just buy a power house work station?

If you are going to carry it around, that takes a lot of guts. :D

I don't tell rich people how to spened there mony, but for me to pay over $1000 for an SSD drive that will cost less than 1/2 in less than a year.
and with it the value of the laptop don't make sence.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Rumors are that Intel will have a new series of SDDs coming out in the fourth quarter.

I installed a 160GB X25-M in my brand new i5 17 inch MBP a few days ago. So far I'm very impressed. Booting to usable desktop from button push takes 19 seconds (I timed it). Applications are nearly instantaneous. iTunes comes up in, literally, about 1.5 seconds for me. On the Windows 7 side (Bootcamp) Photoshop CS3 comes up in about 4 seconds(!) and Word and Excel are nearly instantaneous...maybe 1.5 seconds or so.

So far, the only downside is lack of disk space but I knew that going into it. I was lucky and picked up a boxed second generation 160BG X25-M from a guy on Craigslist for $350.

So far, I'm very happy. Also, I am running a windows laptop concurrently (it's sitting to my left as we speak) and it's agony to open applications on it now that I'm used to the SSD.

azazazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Rumors are that Intel will have a new series of SDDs coming out in the fourth quarter.

I installed a 160GB X25-M in my brand new i5 17 inch MBP a few days ago. So far I'm very impressed. Booting to usable desktop from button push takes 19 seconds (I timed it). Applications are nearly instantaneous. iTunes comes up in, literally, about 1.5 seconds for me. On the Windows 7 side (Bootcamp) Photoshop CS3 comes up in about 4 seconds(!) and Word and Excel are nearly instantaneous...maybe 1.5 seconds or so.

So far, the only downside is lack of disk space but I knew that going into it. I was lucky and picked up a boxed second generation 160BG X25-M from a guy on Craigslist for $350.

So far, I'm very happy. Also, I am running a windows laptop concurrently (it's sitting to my left as we speak) and it's agony to open applications on it now
that I'm used to the SSD.

Thanks for your reply, it's useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.