Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
I specifically mean for iMessage and FaceTime.

I recently set up a new iPhone, and prior to doing so, I changed my iCloud password. Consequently, the app specific passwords that I had set up (iMessage, FaceTime and Fantastical) were all revoked. However when setting up iMessage, FaceTime and Fantastical on the new iPhone, I didn't need to enter an app specific password for all three apps, I just used my iCloud password where required with no issues (so far!). Fantastical on my Mac mini did ask for an app specific password, but everything else seems to be working fine (the apps all continue to work on my iPad as well - again I only needed to update my iCloud password on my iPad).

From reading the Apple pages, it does suggest that iMessage and FaceTime do still require app specific passwords - so I'm wondering if something has changed?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I've noticed this as well. Before when signing into iMessage your normal password didn't work. You had to go to Apple.com and manage account and create a temporary app password to sign in on your phone. Same with FaceTime. Haven't been forced to do this the last times I've logged in. And I'm glad for that.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I believe that change when they migrated over to the new two factor authentication system with iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.