Are Apple fanboys just a bit nuts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by profmatt, Feb 14, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

My MacBook slipped off the edge of the bath where it was balancing while I was, er, sitting down next to it, and it fell into the empty bathtub. No real damage, but there's a bit of a scuff and a very small dent.

And now I'm traumatised because my beautiful, perfect MacBook is no longer beautiful.

(It just occurs to me: I have no idea what damage the bath itself suffered. I don't even care.)

Why are we so obsessed with looks when it comes to our Apple products? I'm as guilty as anyone of needlessly upgrading. I currently have an iPhone 6+. I haven't upgraded to the 6S, partly because how much better could it possibly be, and partly because it physically looks the same. I'll try hard not to upgrade to the 7, but if Ives does his usual trick and somehow makes it better looking, I know I'll struggle not to persuade myself that actually 3D touch is an essential feature, and I really need those extra megapixels in the camera that I rarely use and whose photos I almost never look at.

I was looking at my dog just now. He's got scuff marks, too. He's got very thin skin and when he takes a tumble, it leaves a scar. I'm not traumatised about that at all. I love him just as much.

Is the genius of Apple that they turned a functional objection into a fashion item? Is there really any need to upgrade any of your Apple products more than about once every five years? I had the same TV for nearly nine years (until I buckled under needless, self-imposed pressure and bought a curved 1080p Samsung that I'm not sure is really all that much better than the 720p Sony I had).

2. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Any type of fanboyism is a lot on the nutty side. :eek:

3. MrAverigeUser, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

self-criticism is the best way to get a better and happier life…

Since you are able to act in self-reflection I can assure you that you are NOT an apple fanboy - the fact that they are unable to do so is one of the "must" conditions to get a real fanboy.

perhaps it is time to make a foundation of the "anonymous Alcoh…" ehem.. "anonymous apple-addictives" … ;)

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I care a lot about all my tech products, but I don't see that as fanboyism. For example, I regularly dust and clean my computers (and phone) and make sure the screens never get scratched, etc. Whereas I have a friend who always upgrades to the latest iPhones and yet his current iPhone is scratched, discolored, and has a broken screen. So I don't even know what's going on there.

To me, an Apple fanboy is someone who thinks Apple can do no wrong (which I certainly do not think; I have many criticisms, but that doesn't stop me from preferring Apple products over other tech brands).

But sure, part of Apple's success is turning their products, especially the phones, into fashion items, into "must haves". No other brand is really doing that.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

After the first ding, you stop caring (at least I do). I actually miss the days of scratching up an iPod.

6. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

It's true that there are people on these forums who will defend Apple under all circumstances and attack those who would criticise them. You could argue those people are not fanboys at all, since if you really love someone, i.e. Apple, you tell them the truth, e.g. iTunes is an ***** disaster.

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Semi-on/off subject.
    It could be fanboy or also I could chalk it up to people not liking to be wrong or called out about what they spend their money on.
    Some get emotional about purchases, there's nothing wrong with it, we like to feel we made a good decision and we can really love the things we buy.
    I don't think it's fanboy-ism or OCD or anything of the like, I think it's just that when we buy something that in our eyes is the best product for us, we want it to stay in as pristine condition as possible.

And something that works for some people may not work for someone else, it's tough to create a product to perfectly fill everyone's needs that touches it. Like for me, example: iTunes does everything I want and need it to do and I personally don't have any negatives to say...because it works for me, in my particular setup. That could change but I like it as it is.

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

A fanboy is someone who thinks Apple can do no wrong which seems to be 95% of iOS users here. :p

Caring for the devices you use is not fanboyism.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

"Nuts"? No, probably not. But 'obsessive', yes, a very, very emphatic, yes.

10. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

11. Scepticalscribe, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But, then, again, the etymological root of 'fan' is…….fanatic. So, yes, maybe, they are 'just a bit nuts' after all.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

You saying I'm nuts?:confused:

13. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I dunno, if you have something beautiful you want to keep it that way, no matter the product. It's like if I had a painting or drawing I enjoy and want to keep it pristine. Definitely a good marketing ploy, though if they truly believe in their product like they say they do (which I really really hope they do, I like it when people care about stuff), then they're making it pretty simply because they want it to look good. This of course does not mean you should defend a product beyond all reason. I shall stop rambling now.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You are the only Apple fanboy on this board, after all

...if the shoe fits

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Is a fanatic nuts? Or, merely, someone who is wildly, and excessively enthusiastic?

Actually, I am saying that anybody who defines themselves by a name - the etymological - in other words, - the actual word origin of which is rooted in the word 'fanatic' might want to examine……..a few things.

16. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

"Enthusiasm" used to refer to religious zealotry, so merely being enthusiastic is no better.

There are plenty of cynics in the world. The trouble is, when are you cynical *enough*?

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Leaving claims of cynicism (or realism) aside, my concern with anything to do with either fanaticism, or 'fanboyism', is the willing suspension of one's critical faculties, and the suppression of the rational part of one's mind. Cynicism has nothing to do with that.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its only a matter of time that someone from this forum tries to start an apple caliphate somewhere, to be honest.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bravo, brilliant. Very good.

Actually, if there was an emoticon for sustained applause, I'd click on it.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Got that right.;) I once got into an argument with a stranger at a comic con for mistaking my Vulcan costume with an elf costume. ELF!?:mad::mad::mad: I ended up unsuccessfully trying to nerve pinch him.:oops::oops:
    [​IMG]

21. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Mistaking a Vulcan for an elf??? THE HORROR!! I would have set my phaser to disintegrate down to quantum foam!

22. Scepticalscribe, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Tut, tut. Do please bear in mind what Surak might think of that.

It is entirely possible that he would not view it as a proud defence of Vulcan values, but rather, as an………uncontrolled outburst of violent emotion. Indeed, it is entirely possible that he might arrive at the conclusion that this is very unVulcan, and represents a profound negation of an expression of core Vulcan values and philosophies…...

23. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I'm sorry, I'm only human - and I have my Klingon moments. Time to go turn on my Vulcan meditation lamp and purge my emotions.
    meditating-spock1.jpg

24. Tech198 macrumors G4

hehe... nuts...

if u insinuating that i like nuts, then yes I do :D

However, saying " a bit" is using the word loosely..... People actually taking their phones anywhere where is supposed to be a private space because no one can bear taking 2 eyes of a screen to use social networking apps ...

ya,,,, maybe a BIT nuts..

We've gotten so used to this stuff now, we'd rather marry our iphones then our g/f's ... That's usually what it sounds like here, by the amount of attention people spend with iPhone...

At least i can take a break once in a while, but users even sleep with them...... To me, that's going too far. Feel like a normal life yet ?

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Taking care of your stuff isn't fanboyism (sp). Defending a company no matter what in spite of possible faults may be. Either way, I find no harm in those who defend Apple. If they can't see fault in a company then so be it. It is when those folks try to force their opinions on others that I find them to be annoying twits.