Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Stop with all this anti-bacteria stuff. You need germs people. It's what makes your immune system worth a darn. Quite thinking sterile is better.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Put it in my pocket and walk around for a minute. The oleophobic coating does it for me.

anonymous82

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Just microfiber cloth (or the cloth that usually comes in your glasses box) for the screen and wipe (those used for kids) for the aluminum back of the phone

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
A micro fibre cloth and some iklear. A bottle of that stuff has lasted me about 10 years so far. Good for glasses and macs too.

You don't need anti bacterial stuff on your phone unless you work in a hospital or somewhere like that.

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I use this:

http://www.brillianize.com/

A little pricey but it lasts long and is amazing. I use it for anything glass or plastic. Even some things that are not glass or plastic. For the iphone it makes the surface very slick and helps further resist fingerprints. 100% non-toxic (I use it to clean the outside of my fish tank and outside and inside the hood of the tank. No worries if some accidentally sprays inside).

Jay

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
Get hooked by marketing lures much?

No need for this, special fruit wash spray, etc. Spit and shirt. Clean. Done.

yep,but my financial situation is different with yours.
if you come saying that in iphone forum....

----------

like saying why buy iphone when there is some cheap androids

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
How do you guys clean your phone? Say if your friend with oily hands eats a snack then touches your phone and hits that touchid button or screen. What is the best way to clean it without damaging anything or being too harsh on it or taking off the oleophobic coating?

I simply use a microfiber cloth (bed bath & beyond) and wet it, wring it out and wipe the phone down. I then dry it off with with a dry cloth. I just use tap water and the cloth is damp, not wet. I usually wipe it off each night like this.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
How do you guys clean your phone? Say if your friend with oily hands eats a snack then touches your phone and hits that touchid button or screen. What is the best way to clean it without damaging anything or being too harsh on it or taking off the oleophobic coating?

Isopropyl alcohol 70%, lightly wipe with clean microfiber cloth.

Much less expensive than Clorox wipes, and does the same thing: remove grease/oil, kill most bacteria and viruses.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
yep,but my financial situation is different with yours.
if you come saying that in iphone forum....

----------

like saying why buy iphone when there is some cheap androids

Your English situation is also different than mine. :rolleyes:

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Stop with all this anti-bacteria stuff. You need germs people. It's what makes your immune system worth a darn. Quite thinking sterile is better.

For the most part I agree. Except I stupidly let patients in the hospital use my phone when I need to use google translate. And even if I know a certain bug can't be transmitted on a fomite (e.g. Mycobacterium tuberculosis,) I still get grossed out and soak it with sanitation wipes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.