Are current sprint iPhone 4S GSM unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dman91, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Dman91 macrumors member

Hello folks

I really love the new iPhone 4S , but they are not offered in my country so I decided to buy one in the states, and inorder to work with my countries carries I need an unlocked Phone. accourding to apple the unlocked phones will be availabe November, but there are rumers saying that the current Sprint iPhone's are GSM unlocked and even rumours say that apple retail stores offer GSM unlocked phone's? if any one could confirm that I might buy one from ebay

Thanks in advance :)

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

See the front page for details.

Sprint iPhones may be gsm unlocked but sprint has promised to lock them in the future.

AT&T off contract phones sold by apple are truly unlocked.

arn

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

I believe from other posts that sprint is unlocked for non USA GSM carriers.

So they still are blocking AT&T and tmobile USA. But if u want to use on a non USA carrier you are free to do that.

However sprint said they would start relocking soon with prl update.

4. Kill Switch macrumors newbie

I responded in the other thread on this subject but, here is what I got when I popped my AT&T sim in my Sprint 4S...

[​IMG]

5. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Is that prl update for the current once or the once in the market from now on?

6. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Since the iPhones in the states are not unlocked I decided to buy them form canada, but someone told me that because of the tax the actaull price would rise up to 739C$ instead of the 649 written on the site.

Is it going to be the same for the US unlocked iPhones? will the tax increase the price 100$??

Thanks

7. note235 macrumors 6502a

That's braise you can use non USA sims

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depends on how much tax they charge at the particular US state that you're buying it at.
    They all vary.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The U.S. use is always going to be locked, it would only work with a foreign sim.

10. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

This varies based on the State tax of the State you purchase the phone from. If you buy an AT&T phone off-contract from an Apple Store, they are GSM unlocked by Apple.

11. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Is that Sprint over the air lock , going to lock foreign Sims too? or just American sims coz I want it for a foreign Sim.

About the off contract AT&T iPhone's. I don't live in the states and can olly use a package forwarding company to buy it for me and they only have online shopping , they don't do retail store pickups.

What is the max tax in a state? and what is the tax in FL?

Again thanks for your help :)

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Verizon's GSM is unlocked if you are a customer with them for 60 days.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Florida has a 6% tax on purchases.

14. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

So for non foreign carries can I use the sprint iPhones for unlocked GSM slot?

And its November 1 , factory unlocked should start shipping this month but I don't want to wait till the end of November and then order one which might take 1-2 weeks for shipping which would be in the middle of December and ofcourse I would have to re-ship it to my country which is probably going to take an other week.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The best thing to do if you want one now is buy from Canada. US phones won't be sold unlocked until November and I wouldn't trust the carrier sold ones that are unlocked...as you can run into problems down the road.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and actually carrier stores do not sell any factory unlocked iphones. Even in Canada you gotta make sure you buy it from an Apple store for full price in order to be officially unlocked.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can someone please clarify this. Still waiting for the 4S from Sprint. I was willing to go ahead and commit to a 2 yr. contract provided I can use the GSM with compatible international Sim cards. I travel quite a bit for work. With that said, Can Sprint simply locked an iPhone with this update on current iPhones that allow the use of foreign sims. Or is this PRL Update something Sprint will actually do "soon", ONLY on 4S phones, purchased say a month from now, and keep everything as is for those that purchased prior to the update?

If Sprint sells you a phone with a certain feature, which is the selling point for me, such as open GSM, can they just take that away from you by locking it?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, once the GSM side is unlocked then you're good. They wont lock it again.
    It will work with any other carriers sim outside of the US.
    I think Verizon does that also but you have to call and ask them to do it for you cause it doesnt come like that.

19. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Video proof using sprint iPhone with Vodafone UK SIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFE7ENCqHY0