Are iOS 8 features unnecessary for "mainstream" users?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rogifan, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

John Kirk writing at Techpinions:
    http://techpinions.com/whither-apple-or-wither-apple/31198

I disagree. I think "mainstream" users don't know what they want until someone gives it to them. I mean how many people were asking for Touch ID? But I'll bet now most 5S users wouldn't want to use an iPhone without it and can't wait for it to come to iPad (and even Macs). Also I'm not sure how you can call things like actionable notifications "power features". I don't consider myself a power user, but I can't tell you how annoying it is to get a text message and have to leave the app I'm in and go to the messages app to respond to it. IMO we should have had actionable notifications long before iOS 8. Honestly I can't think of one feature announced at WWDC that I would consider only for tech geeks or power users. I think mainstream users will start using the features of iOS 8 and wonder why it took so long to get them.

My iPhone and iPad would be pretty worthless to me if not for 3rd party developers so I'm glad Apple is showing them some love.

2. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

He could have mentioned just one feature that he thought was frivolous.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

But then he'd leave himself open to criticism and disagreement.

4. iOSaddict macrumors regular

I've never seen anyone using the widgets. So useless.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Steve's genius was making people want to stand in line craving something they didn't know existed until a short time before. Now we're offered a slew of new features and increasingly the response is, "meh". Particularly when it doesn't work well out of the gate.

6. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I think this is partly also because the iPhone isn't "new" anymore. There's not really any excitement for existing customers. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the iPhone 6 but it's not that uncontrollable excitement I had for iPhone 3G or iPad 2 when it was demoed. On the other hand I feel they're really doing well with software. This year I was impressed with both iOS and OSX. More with OSX but both were well done nonetheless. I'm talking about Yosemite and iOS 8

7. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

It might be just me, but I think Continuity is groundbreaking. I'm excited.

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I agree. I mentioned in my post that iOS is doing big things but with hardware what else can you do? I mean really!

9. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I'm pretty happy with the direction Apple has taken. They seem very human and personal now, I really like that. They also appear to be listening to us customers, which is a big plus in my opinion.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I don't agree at all; this new Apple is amazing, they're listening to customers and adding more choices (widgets are optional) and power features that might been borrowed from Android but people forget that most of Android was borrowed from iOS.

[​IMG]

11. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I'm assuming that it's also partly a new decision due to market saturation and hardware feature "wauw-effect" plateauing; They begin to realize that they cannot reinvent the wheel every year, so now they're putting a larger emphasis on software and the interplay between iOS devices than ever before to continue having a strong selling point.

Reinventing the interface was a bold move, but every company needs to do this once in a while. Humans get bored easily with consumer products. They're not that necessary for our survival, so we can test and try different devices if we want to. Apple is giving us a new, interesting, yet familiar experience with their new direction, compelling us to stay for what we've come to expect but also for the unexpected things that surprise and excite us.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My girlfriend is only moderately technologically inclined at best, and she's quite excited for all of these "geeky" features like a 3rd party keyboard (that works!), iCloud drive, and handoff.

13. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

He does seem to skimp on details. Certainly the iCloud drive is potentially useful to everyone. Texting as well as iMessage on all kit is useful to everyone. Extensions, especially those supporting more language support, useful (although i don't like how we have to download an app to get them in some cases)

Handoff is perhaps a 'geek' feature. As is maybe the speakerphone thing. but there are features that are good for everyone, if one gets his head out of his butt

----------

you are talking about software that hasn't been released yet so of course no one has been seen using them. once iOS 8 is out and apps have been updated to have widgets we can talk

14. afsnyder macrumors 65816

He's talking about Android widgets. iOS 8 widgets are different. Seeing as I look at my today view all the time for quick view at stocks and reminders... I say I'd look at it more with more widgets of my choosing.

15. apple-tea macrumors member

No one uses Airdrop. No one will use continuity or handoff or iCloud tabs.

They just don't work out in the real world.

16. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

I use AirDrop with friends to send huge amounts of my photos to a friend's iPhone relatively regularly, especially after big photo ops. Also, as a Windows users, I'm big on using my Chrome browser on my iPhone to recall tabs and history from my laptop.

I'm not really sure what the big deal about continuity is though. If you start a draft in Gmail, and open gmail.com on your laptop, you will see it right there... Maybe because Apple is pushing the data locally instead of through the cloud (requires Bluetooth)? Seems a little backwards to me.

17. mr99 macrumors 6502a

18. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

From the article:

This is, IMO, absolutely silly.

Was the writer born after 2008? Because I'm pretty sure that was the year that 3rd party app developers launched iOS so far ahead that it took years for Android's ecosystem to catch up.

Ask windows phone how awesome it is to have almost no interest from 3rd party developers. Yeah, that's what we want the App Store to look like. Tim Cook, please listen to this writer so we can all go back to using web apps!

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes they do. Well airdrop and iCloud tabs. I use airdrop all the time on set to hand out call sets etc

20. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Not only that, but they are listening to devs which is a huge thing. I do like the way Apple is running now and think Tim is getting into the groove of things. He was talking almost natural in the keynote.

21. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Isn't this what Apple has always done.

Take tech ideas that were implemented good enough, often barely good enough for Geeks (who also just get bored with them really quickly) and give them the attention they need to turn them something that is useful for the mainstream.

The original Apple series. a kit computer designed to be given away turned in to a product that just dropped in to millions of homes and offices.
    The Mac. built out of ideas from the geeky branch that it's parent company had grown bored of.

I just don't buy the meme that Apple are reacting to customer demand as there are clear signs in the last many iOS and OS X release that the new open features were on the way.

Yes Apple as a company has really opened up and certainly seem to be listen more, which is all good things. They still seem to have a clear idea of where they are heading as well.

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yeah I didn't get that paragraph. Plus it's entirely possible to give developers love AND keep things simple and intuitive for end users at the same time. It's not one or the other.

23. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Exactly. It's not a zero sum game. Not sure what this guy has against coders!

24. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Not to mention that some of this stuff benefits end users in a somewhat indirect way.

Extensions that provide actions mean things like integrating 1Password or LastPass straight into Safari. Fewer jumps for folks who are using password managers, and fewer pain points that might drive some users away from a password manager.

iCloud Drive's UI component has an extension point so that Dropbox/OneDrive/etc can plug in. This means an app writing against this UI gets all other services for "free". That will make more services accessible to more apps. I do like the idea of not being in a position of having to pick apps or cloud storage based on whose app is integrated with what service. A pain point I run into pretty regularly.

Hell, being able to use something like Wunderlist or Things instead of Reminders and still be able to show items in the "Today" view is something I look forward to. Places where 3rd party apps can get 1st party integration in places that make sense do make things better for the end user.

25. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

The question is what is mainstream user? Now that Apple has become so popular, people in businesses Enterprise use it consistently. Continuity and Handoff seem like great features for people like that. Other users are just typical people who could also use these features if they have Mac or iPad products. Plenty of iOS users who I know are quite interested in using these features. It's another way of securing ecosystem even further. Health also seems like another great feature for iOS and mainstream users. With the iWatch coming out soon, it is also another way to lock down users. Also all of these features are easy to use, requiring no learning curve and wind up just simply working. This is what Apple does best: turning geeky and nerdy features into something seemingly from the future. People love futuristic sounding things and wind up buying them. This is what Apple has done for decades and it is what they have done with iOS since its introduction, iOS 8 is no different from the typical Apple formula.