are Macbook's tough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kkamin, Dec 1, 2009.

1. kkamin macrumors member

This is nitpicky, but I had my MB inside a neoprene case, inside my backpack, and I set it down on the hardwood floor kind of hard. Everything is fine, so I'm just wondering if they are made to take a couple aggressive set downs. :eek: I'm just paranoid, I use the computer for work and can't afford to lose it.

Thanks

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

What model? The White or aluminum?

If it's white, does it have firewire? If you don't know what that is does it have only one audio plug?

3. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

It is aluminum. It's from one generation ago, there is no firewire port.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

They dent kinda easily but I think they protect whats inside.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh buddy, you'll be fine! I had one for a year and it made it through plenty of plane flights (damn conveyer belts). My only issue was they kinda scratch easy if you are picking them up and setting them down. I'd recommend a Speck hardshell case, it will add dent/scratch protection to the top and bottom case.

6. AaronX macrumors member

7. pnyc macrumors 6502

If it's off when it happens "aggressive set downs" should be no problem for your MB. Throwing it down, dropping it while in the book-bag might damage it, if you do that and can't stop you should probably get a better case for it.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

No. :p

What do you expect? They're made with one of the softest metals on Earth! The unibody design can't change that. It also doesn't have a spillguard underneath the keyboard, which would ALSO prevent dust build-up. It could be added without really changing the thickness, but it probably won't exist for Macs.

However, the unibody design will (probably) lead to less creaky parts over time, since the body doesn't have many joints or screws to hold it together.

It would be nice if Macs were as tough as other laptops, but at the same time, you need to decide whether it's even that important. When is something 'tough enough'? It could probably fall a few feet onto carpeting without dents or internal damage. To me, that's good enough. ;)

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It probably won't cause problems with the machine's components other than the hard drive and the optical drive. Those are the first things to go anyways (usually).

10. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've dragged my MB Alu (late Oct'08) around the world in the last year on more than 200,000 miles of plane rides and it is holding up pretty well. I have a very small laptop bag with no additional protection for the machine. The only issues so far are scratches (from the tight fit of the bag plus being in and out all the time) and the little Apple logo on the back is becoming loose on one side. That is, it isn't stuck on as well as the other side if it gets pushed on. My laptop bag has fallen off of my travel bag with no damage to the machine. I have not dropped the machine flatout though.

When I first got this machine last year having had Lenovo's for the past ~5 years I was most worried about the sturdiness. After a year I'm convinced that it will last but I wonder if it will be a problem after ~3 years...

11. Takashi macrumors regular

If you want a tough notebook, get a Panasonic Toughbook. You are not going to find anything better than that.

Macbook tough!? You must be kidding. Go do a search on the forum and you will find stories of macbooks (inc. Macbook Pro) getting damamged when dropped on scratched. I still don't understand why anyone should have to buy a plastic cover to protect the aluminium macbook pro. Macbooks and Macbook pros are not made for agressive set downs.

12. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

The plastic Macbooks remain pretty durable, in my opinion, although they can still be scratched, etc. My BlackBook has several scratches but no dents at all.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well the UniBodies will protect the computer inside alright, though they might dent, scratch or the case may be damaged in some way...