Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Im looking to buy a new Imac I saw that there end of cycle and new ones should be coming out. I heard that black ones are going to be released....Im more interested in hardware improvements than colors.....Anyone know when to expect them and what they will have?

Appreciate it!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Buy now. When I was looking to buy a new iMac, the cycle showed it was due for an update. I waiting 9 more months.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Best case scenario is that in a few months probably 6 or so (since they were revamped not updated in August '06) they will have a speedbump update. Maybe processor or some internal workings.

I wouldn't call what happened in August an update. To much was replaced, processor architecture, video cards, that's practially over half the logic board there. Plus the outside, introduction of the new keyboard, all centered around the iMac. Doubt very seriously they'll have a major update similar to that for a while.

New design more than likely (since almost all products are resembling the iMac) won't happen for at least a year or 2.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Best case scenario is that in a few months probably 6 or so (since they were revamped not updated in August '06) they will have a speedbump update. Maybe processor or some internal workings.

I wouldn't call what happened in August an update. To much was replaced, processor architecture, video cards, that's practially over half the logic board there. Plus the outside, introduction of the new keyboard, all centered around the iMac. Doubt very seriously they'll have a major update similar to that for a while.

New design more than likely (since almost all products are resembling the iMac) won't happen for at least a year or 2.

I agree completely. The ONLY thing that will happen with the iMacs before 2009 (and maybe well into 2009) is an upgrade to the Penryn processors. And from what I've heard, the speed/power bump won't be worth waiting more than a month or so for.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Penryn won't significantly impact the iMacs since one of their advantages is lower power consumption, something that helps out a notebook battery much more. And right now the 2.8Ghz extreme is available. So a Penryn version might not be any faster and the 45nm advantages might be minimal. Buy now.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks....

I really appreciate everyones comment....I was thinking about upgrades like better video card, maybe more memory, and faster speed. Not a whole new redesign.....If faster Imac are going to be out in a month I would wait.

I can hardly wait....I want to give my pc the boot bad. :D

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I'm hoping for new lcd panels... the current one are pretty flaky. I'm not expecting any major design changes, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they released some slight chassis modifications such as a slightly thinner design or less pronounced chin. They did something similar with the white iMac.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
Although I know that some people would disagree with me, I think that the new iMac is awesome. We ordered ours on the day it was released, back in August (as I recall). We really enjoy it.

I don't think that you will regret buying an iMac right now. In other words, buy, buy, buy! I bet that we don't see any updates until fall 2008, and I think that any such updates will be just a tiny speed bump. It should be safe to buy, in my humble opinion.

If you get one, enjoy! It is a great machine. Although I love my Mac Pro at work, I'm never disappointed with my iMac at home either.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
No they are not they are great screens, have you actually used one?

Part type wise the 20" iMacs use lower quality screens, this was confirmed over and over again.

The biggest reason I went with the 24" since it uses a higher quality screen. The screen is (at least on mine) not flakey in the LEAST!!! It's friggin beautiful.

No gradient issue, no dead pixels, no nothing. I was very fortunate. Apparently (paraphased from here and in the apple discussion groups) Apple has 2 or so vendors suppling the lcd's and one of them made very shoddy screens.

If it appears gradient take it back, chances are it'll be fine as that issue has dwindled down lately and reported vary rarely now. So it would appear the bad screens are almost out of circulation.

BlueZombie

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
I have to agree that the screens are great, at least on the 24" ones. I know there have been some complaints about them on this board, but I feel that comes from a very small percentage of iMac buyers. The received my iMac less than a week ago and the screen is brilliant. No gradient issues whatsoever and everything runs so smooth. Buy now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.